Recruiting Notes 4.0 (The Summer of LaVall)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 23, 2019.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    Taylor is going to be a really good player for us. He has about as much upside as anyone as a combo guard. 6'3 or 4 can guard 1 through 3 good vision, great athleticism. if he keeps getting more consistent shooting he's going to have a really good college career. He's literally playing 1 on 5 in high school and still putting up numbers

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg and Tentozen like this.
  2. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,648
    Stop.

2xDawg likes this.
  3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    Why do you think he’s so lightly regarded. I’ve heard good things from Butler who have watched him, but he seems pretty forgotten nationally and by those without bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    I honestly have no clue, other than he committed early to Butler so he's not going to get any looks any more and his HS is basically just him. You read any coach or scout about him and it makes you think something doesn't add up either the rankings are just wrong or the people who are watching him are wrong, I'll let you decide where you stand, but for me I think as usual the ranking and early Butler commit make him one of if not the most intriguing Butler prospects that and the under rated but at least rated Pierce Thomas...

https://scoutsfocus.com/p/jaydentaylor

For those that don't want to read, here's most of it, not all...

"Jayden has elite level wingspan that makes the player a corner stone on the defensive end and can be even more effective with active hands/feet. Additionally, the prospect appears to have elite size for position when used properly is extremely advantageous on both sides of the ball. The talented passer, distributes the ball well seeing the floor and anticipating when and where teammates will be open creating easy buckets. In terms of ball handling, it was one of the strongest aspects of the player's game. The player makes great use of change of speed and change of direction. The prospect's Basketball IQ definitely stood out at camp and proved to be really good. Through continued emphasis on making the right play through watching/learning the game, it can be a big advantage in recruiting. A big part of IQ is shot selection. Jayden does an excellent job of shooting the basketball with rhythm and possesses high-level knowledge between good/bad shots. This advantage will continue to develop by watching how this is done at various college levels. Making the extra pass and taking only open in-rhythm shots proved to be a very reliable asset for the prospect. The prospect showed they were an extremely reliable shooter throughout camp. Shooting will continue to develop with form shooting and made game speed repetitions. We recommend making at least 500 game speed shots a day off the screen(curl/fades), off the bounce, spot shooting, etc. The talent did a tremendous job of finishing around the rim through various moves. The prospect showed great ability with both hands and has the potential to finish on any defense. The talented player is an exceptional athlete proving to be an advantage on both ends of the floor having athleticism that is in the upper quartile of competitors. We determined the prospect's strength to be one of their best qualities. The college game is an entirely different beast so continued strength development is crucial to prepare going against 23-24 year-olds. Combined with the player's excellent frame the player has the potential to have a definite physical advantage at the next level amongst their fellow incoming freshman. The talent had an impressive motor (highly coveted skill by college coaches) that we believe will translate well at the next level. College coaches will be impressed watching the talented prospects motor and from what we saw, the player had a physical and mental toughness that will be coveted at the next level. The player showed excellence on the defensive side of the ball and exemplified individual and team defensive concepts that we highlighted at camp."

Sidd Finch, #60, Tentozen and 4 others like this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    That sounds like fantastic praise. I’m not down on him, I just have no opinion whatsoever since I haven’t seen enough to form one. I’m hoping he’s outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,616
    I'd add that JT's HS coach (Mark James) is second to none and has proven track record of developing talent.

DawgPoundMac and estar20dawg like this.
  7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Mark James is one of the best around!

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  8. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,230
    I believe there was an update to the 247Sports Composite rankings for the 2020 class a few days ago. For those wondering, here is how the rankings of Butler's commits have changed since they announced their commitments.

Harris was 94th when he committed on May 15th. He is now 149th - Down 55 spots.

Wilmoth was 245th when he committed on July 3rd. He is now 342nd - Down 97 spots.

Tate was 102nd when he committed on August 5th. He is now 184th - Down 82 spots.

Scooby was 137th when he committed on October 2nd. He is now 153rd - Down 16 spots.

Coles was 145th when he committed on October 10th. He is now 148th - Down 3 spots.

I don't really put much stock into the specific rankings of players (just their range), especially when we know many of them finished their high school careers with very successful seasons. Just presenting the information.

9. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $953
    Unlike the BE officiating conspiracy/bias, I have bought into the 'Butler Commit' effect on rankings. 2020 Class displays this better than anything. After committing, these 3 recruits did the following in 2019/20 season:

Tate: Leads team to 4th State Title and #2 National ranking + being named SC Mr. Basketball
    Harris: Leads team to DC Championship
    Scoob: Named Michigan Mr. Basketball after leading team to State quarters before season cancelled

After these incredibly significant accomplishments, these three drop a combined 153 spots in rankings? C'mon, something is very wrong here. I can't believe adding Butler commit to your recruiting profile could be so poisonous. I would think that after two Title game appearances and multiple NCAA appearances the last decade would mean something for the Butler name and brand. Apparently not. Bummer.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    MadDawg2020, #60, chc3 and 1 other person like this.
  10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,616
    SOP after BU lands a recruit.

Sidd Finch and godogs91 like this.
  11. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    That really is b/s by the recruiting sites.

godogs91 likes this.
  12. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    Ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    New offer Carter Bandemer Pg 2020

14. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    98% sure this is just a kid who created a player on 2K

Dewars12 and chc3 like this.
  15. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,061
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $335
    Butler is getting into the Esports scene, you know.

17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,695
    Clips of his breakout performance

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    Oh whoops! Lol

19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Weirdly there is a ‘22 player in Michigan by that same name.

20. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $132

I was just looking at this the other day. I think there is something to be said about the brand name argument. You commit to Butler you drop in the rankings. Along with that I think timing of the commitment plays a part. All of the recruits committed fairly early especially the first 3. It seems once you commit, the recruiting sites drop you down especially if you aren't going to a big school. The longer you hold out the higher you're ranking increases. Just a thought. I'd say the best barometer of the rankings is right after AAU season. All the sites update their rankings going into the school year. If you care a lot about the rankings those would be the rankings I'd look at more than the rankings during and after the high school season.

Insane Dawg likes this.