Recruiting Notes 4.0 (The Summer of LaVall)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 23, 2019.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    It came out I think last year that schools were caught paying recruiting sites to inflate rankings of their incoming recruits to look better, I would think we would certainly not have any part of that ever hence our kids once committed will never go up. Also goes to once they commit here services won't go look at them and most of our commitments with LJ have been super early. No one should be concerned about any of our incoming kids. They are all studs still.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    Yeah I don’t believe it’s a “conspiracy” against butler specifically, but the mathematic probabilities that you would sign 5 guys who would all get worse relative to their peers over the course of a season is just extremely low. That’s before taking into account what they accomplished.

I don’t think there’s any reason to think anyone has anything against butler recruits, but it’s clear that after signing they have fallen off the map to some degree. (Probably by a lot of if not all of the degrees)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Maybe it’s because these sites are in it to make money and people follow those who haven’t committed unless it’s a top 40. Once a kid commits his value to the site drops.

4. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,313
    Interesting point. Butler drives ZERO traffic to 247 and Rivals. I’d be all for a board over there, but they’d need a dedicated writer. Jared sorta murdered that hope 6-8 years ago lol.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Reminder: Matt Howard dropped from a four star recruit to a three star when he committed to Butler. Just sayin!

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Brad once said something to the effect that he wanted Top 100 college players—meaning the high school rankings weren’t the be all, end all. I’d say we’ve had a ton of those through the years.

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Hey Lucas—how about doing a 2020 college player Top 100? I think that'd be really interesting. Make it about the player’s contribution to his college team, not NBA potential.

8. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,230
    Any list that goes that deep is nearly impossible to do. I usually don't go deeper than 25 or 30 for a piece because after that point, differing opinions could move a player +/- 20 or more spots. I give massive props to the guys that do make Top 100 lists (Warriner, 3MW, Norlander, etc.). I could look into writing a preseason Top 100 for this coming season at some point - still lots of decisions to be made over the next couple of months for roster construction, though.

BUcheer likes this.
  9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,169
    Question: So where do all you scouts think the players should be ranked?

10. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,876
    Harris 75
    Tate 100
    Scooby 80
    Coles 58
    Wilmoth 225

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,065
    This is 100% correct.

12. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,648
    Arizona has gotten their second top euro recruit in a week. What do you think is stopping Butler from going down that route? Is it a money thing? I figure we'd probably have to have a dedicated member of the staff recruiting in the region. The reward could be worth it though. Gonzaga has had huge success pulling international recruits. I have to think it benefits the school as a whole too. It would be pretty good exposure to have a recruit from a different country playing for Butler. Not only would it make the Butler name more well known on an international education level, it would potential increase our fan base. Mark Cuban has been quoted saying he drafts international players to increase his fan base. When asked why he drafted that one player from India he said, "I just got a billion new fans."

13. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,526
    Butler currently has a strong presence in Indiana and does really well down south too. I think recruiting overseas would spread them out to thin. Also seems like west coast schools are better fit for European players.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  14. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,876
    I've posted before, the amount of resources it takes to generate a strong international pipeline is much more than we can afford. Unless someone is willing to donate about $2 million specifically earmarked to international recruiting which I don't even think is possible, I just don't see us becoming big players. I was quite hopeful with Santiago Vescovi and still wish we had him.

15. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,313
    I’d like to know where you came up with that number. Certainly there are a few assistants out there with a European background. All you need is an ear on the ground. Butler could have the Euro version of Rick Lewis.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  16. SnoopDawg

Money:
    $1,648
    St. Mary's has had pretty good success in the European/Australian market and they have a small enrollment that Butler and probably a small basketball budget. I would think a $100k/year scout with a $300k travel and entertainment budget would be more than enough to do some damage.

17. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,692
    Overseas recruiting is fools gold for a lot of schools. The market is pretty well saturated with coaches seeking talent there and only a few schools have cache with Euro recruits.

This ESPN article from February about Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd paints a pretty good picture of how difficult of a place it can be to recruit successfully.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...onstruct-heir-throne-remarkable-hoops-dynasty

Just my opinion, but I think Butler's done a great job building in-roads in the South and Mid-Atlantic, in addition to its Midwest home territory, and I think those three areas should remain the focus.

18. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,230

Jared and I saw Trey James last year - wrote about him a little after Run N Slam as well. I definitely thought he would be a good target prior to his commitment to Wake. I like Butler reaching out here. He played with David Joplin last summer for Meanstreets and was going to be playing with John Poulakidas this summer, I'm pretty sure, before COVID (Joplin was planning on moving to D1 Minnesota for AAU).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    #60 and cornette33 like this.
  19. SnoopDawg

Money:
    $1,648
    Definitely like his style more than other bigs we have had in the past. Seems to play more above the rim and certainly has a nice shot/form.

20. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    I don't know what % he shoots that midrange, but if it's a good clip, it could be a great weapon in the space that our new crew will be creating in the future in Lavall's system.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app