Recruiting Notes 4.0 (The Summer of LaVall)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    It will ultimately depend on how big of a jump Tucker makes, but in my ideal scenario he is the #1 scoring option next season. I want the ball out of Kamar hands a lot more. I don’t believe he’s a volume scorer. He does so many things well on the court, let’s free him up to do everything else and not make him spend all his energy trying to carry this offense. That means Aaron Thompson handling the ball and distributing more and Tucker becoming the high volume scorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,091
    A good analysis Jared. KB is not the #1 option maybe two or three. Hopefully AT will continue on the upswing and get better. I feel the 4 and 5 will be better with more mobile people. Lastly I hope Jordan will grow as a coach and settle on an eight man rotation not a scattered 10 or 11 man rotation.

Tentozen and Hinkle Nation like this.
  3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $724
    First thing you've ever said that made me wince.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,871
    Of course not, but the fact the staff went after Flagler means he was worth it. They are by no means happy with the result. Give it a rest.

Daddysmack likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
    Nearly all of Tucker’s value comes from his ability to put the ball in the basket. I want him doing that as much as possible. If you aren’t focusing on getting a guy like that shots it’s probably better to go with a more well rounded option.

Daddysmack and Tentozen like this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    The areas where I feel Tucker needs to improve on is passing, dribbling and explosiveness going to the basket. I was surprised that he wasn’t as athletic as I thought he would be. However he is a very good rebounder and has a beautiful jump shot with elevation. I hope the off season training is more than just weights. Quickness and foot work should be emphasized as much if not more than weight training for everyone.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  7. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $249

I didn’t think he had a problem getting to the basket. It may have looked that way at times because of defenses were able to play off AT or one of our bigs and clog the lane. I think Tucker is going to take a big step forward this next year. I agree with Jared, Tucker is a volume shooter and should have a Kelan Martin type of green light.

8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    He got to the basket but not with sufficient strength or explosiveness .

dawgs2014 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $871
    Butler certainly has improved on making a lot of offers to players than the past. Remember we are complained about the "sniper" approach they had with Brad and Brandon.

It's nice to see. Really wish we could close on more of them.

bumba likes this.
  10. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $871
    Question: how do they decide which Assistants manage a potential recruit? How do they match up player/coach?

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    Just since the first of this month Georgetown lost on four recruits, Marquette lost two while SJU, DePaul, Creighton and Providence one each. So it’s not just Butler.

12. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $661
    Usually comes with a coach knowing the territory, AAU & HS coaches in the area. Also, depends on the type of kid. Does the personality of the recruit match the assistant?

cornette33 likes this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    Great point...and we aren't even close to July AAU when things *really* get interesting.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  14. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $724
    I understand the theory of what you are saying, and I know you said ideally. JT is really going to have to change his mindset and dramatically improve his skillset and toughness for that to play out. Right now he wants to make the pretty play. He would rather settle for the step back 3 than drive against tough D. Some of that is lack of handles, too. Ideally, he will become more well rounded, also.

I was never one that got on Kamar for dribbling. I felt it was more out of necessity than him wanting to dominate the ball. At times, he was the only one, it seemed, capable of anything. I think his scoring would have been more efficient if the others were better threats commanding the D to play them tighter. He also needs to become a better playmaker for others, though. But, if there's one guy we have that I have confidence in, it's Kamar.

GoodDawgs and shoeevv like this.
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    You are completely correct as it pertains to analyzing who he was, but I think Jared is assuming he won’t be the same guy next year as he was last year, which is not at all unreasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $724
    Looking forward to it as it would move the needle, big time, for our year and definitely turn the narrative on player development and give target recruits even more confidence in coming and playing for LaVall, not to mention what it would do for fan pysche...

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,872
    Right, my post was referencing my ideal scenario, which means Tucker gets a lot better. Considering his potential and he’s got less than a full season of college games under his belt I think it’s reasonable to expect him to take a huge step forward next year.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255

19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    You can consider that a done deal. It's been in the works for a little bit Damn Penny man...dude can get whoever he wants no matter the obstacle.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255

shoeevv likes this.