Recruiting Notes 5.0 (The Summer of the Hazmat Suit)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by willisbrown, Apr 27, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,314
    Yessir. I agree completely.

2. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,314
    I think Golden will still be here. And out of the seniors I could see one returning, maybe. But it is weird to think about...that's two years (not even) ago, and there literally could be one person left.

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,415
    For as much as we talk about Lavall’s recruits, the results have been abysmal. In 232 (sum of all games played by guys he’s signed) His recruits have scored 1,457 points. Jordan Tucker and Bryce Golden have by far the most points amongst Lavall recruits, but then the third, fourth and fifth highest scorers are ALL in their first year in the program.

Assuming Hastings and Mulloy leave, Lavall will have brought in 11 guys. Bolden will graduate as a grad transfer. 9 of the remaining ten are either current freshmen or will have left with eligibility remaining. Of those who have left, only Tucker has made any sort of material contribution.

It certainly looks like we have a good to great freshman class. I am optimistic about what next years class will bring.

It’s just sort of interesting to look at how terrible the results have generally been so far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    “Assuming Hastings and David leave” is what I think you meant to type.

5. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    Well, David too but I can see no scenario where you bring back JMM.

willisbrown likes this.
  6. pairadocs

pairadocs New Member

Money:
    $18
    Lavall has brought in 13 guys by my count

The Transfers
    Smits
    Bolden
    Nze
    Tucker

The Ineffective
    Hastings
    Mulloy
    Battle

The Current Freshman
    Harris
    Tate
    Coles
    Wilmoth
    Scooby

And finally, Golden.

That honestly doesn't look that bad to me. All of the transfers had their moments. Maybe you could argue that Smits wasn't all that effective, but it was nice to have a big body. Total whiffs on Hastings, Mulloy, and Battle to be sure. However, despite the team struggles this year, this Freshman class has been great. Now if half of them leave before their senior years and the team is still struggling, then by all means Lavall will have some questions to answer, but I think it's a little early to question his recruiting.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,415
    I specifically said I’m not questioning his recruiting. I simply was noting how bad the results have been thus far.

I did miss Smits in my count. That wouldn’t change anything I noted above.

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    Kamar averaged 10.1 points a game as a freshman. Kellen Dunham averaged 9.5 as a freshman. Those are two of the best scorers in BU history.

Harris is averaging 10.2 and Tate is averaging 8.5. There is no chance they were 3 star recruits. They will be just fine BE players and so will Scooby and Coles.

SnoopDawg, Tentozen and BoyGeoff like this.
  9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,415
    I agree they both will be fine players, but the circumstances are entirely different. You can’t just say they averaged the same so they are the same.

10. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $567
    Somebody’s got to score. Would Harris or Tate be putting up 10.2 and 8.5 on the teams that Kelan or Kamar played on their Freshmen year?

Hell, my fat ass would go out and put up 5 a game with a roster this thin.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,314
    Yeah...sometimes you have to call a spade a spade. He's smart as hell and can read the writing.

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,415
    I think you have to respect JMM. He goes out, plays hard, and seems to work hard. From this season alone we’ve seen significant, real improvement in his comfort levels. He set a goal for himself in being the best screener on the team that shows he’s doing his best to do his role really well. You win with guys like that.

That being said, you win with guys like that who also have tremendous ability. I thought JMM was going to be an interesting, unique role player at Butler.

It’s almost hard to figure out what exactly has gone wrong, because I think if we put the high school version of him out there with no practice at all it would be *significantly* better than the level he’s played at.

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    Yes, let's not forget he more than held his own as a sophomore against TJD and I believe a few other HM big men, so what exactly went sideways?

14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,619
    Certainly limited opportunities have had a negative effect on his confidence. Nothing quite speaks to the stability of a program more than a revolving door of players.

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,314
    If none of the seniors return. Hastings is gone and JMM does leave (processed)...we have a roster of Golden, Coles, Hodges, Scooby, Wilmoth, Hughes, Thomas, Taylor, Tate and Harris. Pretty talent rich bunch. But room for 3 more (LaVall has shown he prefers 12 with one opening just in case). So call it two spots to fill. None of those guys you would call sure fire snipers, so we'll need that. And if we can get an upgrade at the 5 we simply have to take it to keep up with the Joneses in the big east. The good news is we have room to address that issue. Will be interesting who all will be out there and what a transfer market looks like after a covid season and eligibility. Could be wild west crazy.

16. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $98
    Agreed. Related to circumstances being different. I wonder how we would view Battle if he were in this year's class. If he were getting the minutes Tate/Harris are getting and getting a bit more leeway given how thin we are I wonder how different he would be viewed or if he would transfer. On the flip side, what if Tate or Harris were Freshman last year? Would they be viewed different and be able to contribute with limited minutes as a Freshman.

2xDawg likes this.
  17. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,050
  18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    He definitely could, if he wants to

19. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $972
    That would be huge. He could then play the proper role of sniper. Come off the bench, start against certain line ups. Knock down 4 + per game. If he wants to play more, he has a shot at ncaa next year and he would be a big part of it.
    Who really knows what any of them want for next year until decision time comes. I guess we find out eventually.

20. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,313

From the YT rabbit hole....

Pretty impressive. Can score at all three levels, and he just hoops. No talk. It seems that most of these kids fizzle out and end up at some NAIA school. Maybe he’ll change that.