Recruiting Notes 5.0 (The Summer of the Hazmat Suit)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by willisbrown, Apr 27, 2020.

1. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $798
  2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
  3. Tiles52

Money:
    $757
    I believe I read somewhere that Mark James, Jayden's HS coach at Perry Meridian, thought that Jayden could become a point guard as well.

4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,053
    cornette33, iluvsnow and UDDawg like this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    At this point I don’t think I want that. I think Taylor could be a big time bucket getter. Granted I’ve seen very little, but I think I want him out there worrying about scoring as his first second and third priorities on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,312
    Don't we wish.

7. Tiles52

Money:
    $757
    I hear what you are saying, but the same could be said about Thomas.

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    I really don’t think so. There’s a difference between shooter and scorer. I think Taylor is a scorer, I think Thomas is more shooter. Doesn’t mean one is better than the other, just different skill sets. Also doesn’t mean thomas can’t get there.

9. Tiles52

Money:
    $757
    I'm not sure that I would peg Thomas as just a shooter. They both shot quite a bit from three; however, Thomas likes to take it to the basket to showcase his dunking ability as well. I may be completely off base, that is just my opinion.

10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    Sure but it’s quite rare at any level that a wing makes a play with the ball in his hands that “creates” a dunk opportunity. Those usually come from a breakdown or a pass or both.

11. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,313
    Anybody know if any 2022 or 2023 targets are playing in Westfield this weekend? Worth going? @Lukas Harkins

12. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,230
    I won't be able to make the trip to Fort Wayne this weekend physically, but I'm going to be streaming basically the entire Run N Slam event. Will try to provide some notes and then have an article on it next week. With the dead period lasting as long as it has, the target list is extremely far from being narrowed down. These first few weeks of the "summer" will be fairly telling, I hope.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  13. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,230
    With the Run N Slam starting today, here is a list of some of the guys I am going to try to prioritize watching as potential Butler targets. I'm trying to learn as much as I can since I think this offseason will probably heat up in a hurry as more events get underway. Note: The players below are only those that are going to be at Run N Slam. If I missed anyone that I should be aware of, let me know, but this isn't a comprehensive list - was just a quick glance through the rosters.

2022: Jack Rose, Brenden Moss, Tayshawn Comer, Leon Bond, Charlie Williams, Jeffery Brazziel, Jaden Schutt, Peyton LaCombe, Owen Dease, Reggie Bass, Jahni Summers, and I am assuming JaVaughn Hannah will be on the Bates Fundamental team (I don't have their roster). Pete Suder is not listed on the Team Teague roster for RNS but I am still expecting him on the team lol.

2023: Ashton Williamson, Dravyn Gibbs, Xavier Booker, Joey Brown, Nate Dudokovich, Jeremy Lorenz. I am especially interested to see more full games from Williamson, I've been tracking him for a bit.

I'll obviously try to bounce around to a bunch of games and get well-rounded notes.

estar20dawg likes this.
  14. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,804

We’ve got openings LaVall…slide into those DMs and shoot your shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,230
    Watching 2022 Brenden Moss (Kingdom Hoops 17u) first. 6-5 guard out of Minnesota Prep. Butler has shown interest early on, as have Iowa, Drake, and Belmont. He is definitely one of the best players on his team but is off to a really slow start in this one. He has five points at halftime based on my count with his team trailing 45-19. Smooth lefty scorer that plays at his pace well, uses a nice crossover to create space, and his handle is overall strong based on what I've seen. Nice mid-range game. Good size and length for the 2-guard. Can't say I've gotten a great read of his defense in this one, but he has some nice plays in help situations. This is my first time seeing him in a full game and I am intrigued.

16. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,230
    Finished with (by my count) 13 points in a 66-36. Most of those came at the free-throw line. Not much to add from Half 2. Moving to Indy Heat 16U next.

Nville Dog likes this.
  17. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,230
    I thought I was going to be very interested in 2023 Ashton Williamson and he has shown it tonight. Absolutely electric quickness and fun playmaking ability. Looking like a dog on defense tonight, stopped a 3-on-1 at one point in this one. Good guard size at 6-2 and long. He's definitely a bit wild sometimes but could excel in a PnR heavy offense (like Butler). Needs to improve as a shooter. I'll have to see more of the state before giving a final idea, but he's one of the top 2023s in Indiana imo. I'd expect Butler to be involved not just because he is likely a really good in-state player but he is also Coach O's nephew.

Also, switching to a different game, I'm not sure how involved Butler still is in Leon Bond but I hope it is still is. He's awesome, super athletic and the ultimate competitor. He'll be a high-major breakout recruit this summer.

18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    Meh, shoot somewhere else. Dad started a prep school specifically for him and then kicked a fellow MSU recruit off the team for wanting to spread the ball around. Would be surprised if he ended up playing college ball. Basically no one was recruiting him because they didn't want to waste their time, and then his dad moaned about it. Not the kind of baggage you want following the team, even if it is just for a year.

dawgs2014, NCJon and seadawg like this.
  19. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $4,230
    Now watching Team Teague 2022 with Charlie Williams, Leland Walker, and Reggie Bass (Illinois commit). Williams surprised me when I watched Carmel this year and he has started the spring impressively, I've heard. Really skinny big but stretches the floor with a nice jumper at mid-range and 3-point, plus has some rim-protecting instincts. He's worth monitoring more than I had expected.

Leland Walker...gets. buckets. He gets downhill in a hurry.

Update: Walker finished with 30+ in a win. He was awesome. Williams made some nice plays as well as I remain intrigued there.

20. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,049
    Lukas, great stuff as usual. If it’s not too much trouble could you list the Indiana boys high schools when you post?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app