Recruiting Notes 5.0 (The Summer of the Hazmat Suit)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by willisbrown, Apr 27, 2020.

1. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,142
    Is Nate Dudukovich Dan’s son? I remember Dan playing on two NCAA tournament teams at Butler for Barry Collier from 1994-98.

2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    He is.

BURph92 likes this.
  3. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $798
    Good write-up by the Cincy Enquirer on Dudukovich and his family. Has a brother who is an 8th grader who may be a talent as well. Sister was a top soccer player in the Cincy region and of course both parents are former basketball players at Butler. Have to be an Enquirer subscriber to read...or know of unscrupulous ways to circumnavigate:p.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...est-snares-gmc-hoops-scoring-lead/4260013001/

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    seadawg likes this.
  4. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,540
    Dudukovich... Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time.

Next you're going to tell me that little Rolf Van Rijn is getting play...or Jon Neuhouser's kid is a big deal. Actually, I'd take another Neuhouser, that dude was a baller.

BURph92 likes this.
  5. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,804
    znelson15 likes this.
  6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,616
    Tolefree appears to be a deceptively rangy athlete with excellent perimeter shooting skills from the video footage.

znelson15 likes this.
  7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    Seems to be a break out candidate we are on early in the process, seems like a long shot if he gets a Marquette offer, sounds like that's where he wants to go

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
  9. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,648
    I'm showing he's 5'9? Is that true or has he grown? Does he have any relation to Terry Rozier?

10. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,999
    The staff still does and has shown to recruit great talent. With that going I will always be on board

Excited for any new high school recruits they try to bring in

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    Lovely.

seadawg likes this.
  12. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,230
    It isn't news, and it's the reality of the situation. I think few understand just how hard it is to recruit at a Big East level with the budget/resources that Butler has right now. I hear this type of sentiment about the program a ton from people I talk to at or around various programs in the country. The 2020 recruiting class remains incredibly impressive by this staff.

The article also quotes another Big East coach as stating the following: "They're fighting an uphill battle from a resources standpoint, the finances. They had great success with Brad Stevens, the Final Fours. But if you're a kid from outside the state of Indiana, and it's down to Butler or anywhere else in the Big East, you're picking another school. The resources, the NBA players, Butler doesn't really have that."

I won't post more of the article/Butler section since it is behind a paywall and I respect that, but I thought the quote was relevant to the discussion.

Last edited: May 12, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    UDDawg, godogs91, dawgs2014 and 4 others like this.
  13. seadawg

Money:
    $8,616
    The realization is "no one does more with less than BU".

14. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,118
    Lukas, I know that there is a lot of discussion about this, including talk that the numbers are at least somewhat skewed by the fact that expenses for some schools include facility rental. Are there any sources available that pull those numbers out of the expense equation? I'm sure Butler would still rank pretty much where they are now, but it would be interesting to see how much different it is.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 12, 2021 at 1:14 PM
  15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Lots of thoughts here, but when you say “recruit at a big East level” are you talking the actual tracking/relationship building process of recruiting or are you saying it’s hard to convince kids to pull for Butler because we are missing some bells and whistles that other programs may have? From what I can tell, there’s just a few areas we can’t/haven’t yet been able to compete:

1) Coaching salary—no doubt the biggest obstacle to consistent success and needs to be a priority.
    2) Dedicated practice facility. EFG reno helped a great deal but still need to aspire to more. Not sure what the BE comps are here though—are we really that far below?
    3) NBA arena? That’s not gonna change obviously.
    4) Player only dorms, etc. That’s not happening for a variety of reasons. And again, what are the BE comps?

In what other categories does BU fall behind? Seems like most everything else is comparable that I can come up with.

The Coach quoted above comes across very superficially re: Butler. Love to know why he thinks non-Indiana kids shun BU and what he’s basing that on. He throws out “resources”—but I want more as to what specific resources and how it’s impacting results.

2xDawg likes this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    Athletes only dining hall.

Also I think there may be other general campus stuff/vibes that impair us.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,876
    75% female has to help as a selling point, there's areas I think we do very well in terms of selling points, i.e. home court advantage

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    I honestly don’t know if it does. I can’t see anyone choosing to go play basketball at one place that has 50% women and another having 75%.

Butlers campus vibe is decidedly less of a scene than some other places like Dayton, Miami etc. Doesnt mean it’s worse, but it’s likely a harder sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

19. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,876
    I guess that would be an opinion...I loved summers on campus, being downtown in less than 15, running the canal paths, the clock tower... maybe it was just me

Shimmy, 2xDawg and ButlerProf like this.
  20. seadawg

Money:
    $8,616
    The greatest obstacle along with coaching salaries is an more lucrative travel budget for recruiting expenses. The rest is merely fluff and bares little substance. IMHO After all, some coaches are vastly overpaid from where I stand.

jal8908, 2xDawg and ButlerProf like this.