Recruiting Notes 5.0 (The Summer of the Hazmat Suit)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by willisbrown, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,902
    Good to hear. If Howard can get a five star then maybe one day we will.

cornette33 likes this.
  2. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,332
    Does Indianapolis area produce any 5 stars? If yes then they will land one.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,275
    Trey Lyles may have been the last from Indy, but usually never a shortage of talent from the circle city.

4. beezer16

beezer16 Active Member

Money:
    $158
    SpartanDawgs likes this.
  5. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    Fletcher Loyer would be a great get and with Sparty killing it on the recruiting trail, I don't think they will have room for Fletch. Hope the Bulldogs are on him!!!

6. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,077
    Butler isn’t involved. Pretty sure he’s headed to West Lafayette.

estar20dawg likes this.
  7. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,550
  8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,649
    Lowery is following on Twitter.

mwall787, cornette33 and estar20dawg like this.
  9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,649
    Don’t know where to put it but this rules

jkcdawgs, bu04, jal8908 and 2 others like this.
  10. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,256
    Leon Bond is one of the 2022 guys that Butler has been linked to that I really like. One of my favorites that I've seen so far this summer - has the potential to be a two-way monster, really high ceiling. These were his highlights from last weekend (per Evan Flood):

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    TheDawgDub95, jkcdawgs and cornette33 like this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,473

Kid is going to blow up. Hope we offer soon if we're going to.

12. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,256
    He blew up a long time ago haha. I'd be surprised if Butler gets seriously involved.

bumba and UDDawg like this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,473

jkcdawgs likes this.
  14. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,256
    Top247 Update:

185. Jayden Taylor - up 58 from last update. (I agree that he has 100% impressed me while going through his summer games over the past few weeks.)
    212. DJ Hughes - up 8 from last update. (haven't dove into his film much yet)
    213. Pierce Thomas - up 9 from last update. (feel like a lot of Indy Heat was undervalued a bit in this update, particularly Wesley)

Another note: Joplin (Texas) up to 59.

UDDawg likes this.
  15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,274
    Damn that Joplin ranking, lol. Another example of LaVall and Co. finding a player early, maybe too early?

16. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,256
    I really like Joplin, and have since his freshman year of high school. I do think that ranking might be slightly bolstered (but not by much) by being one of the few guys that have really shown out this summer. Not many opportunities for players to shine with limited, if any, events for some of them - Joplin took advantage of every weekend and played really well. Top 100 is where he belongs.

17. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,256
    I posted an early look into Butler's offers to 2022 prospects earlier this week on Patreon ($). For those that don't have access and still want the overview, here's an overview:

- I don't think Butler is as far out of the running for Tae Davis as some might indicate (at least not yet), though I also don't think they are that close to the leaders - no inside info behind that. It's possible that he looks to forge his own path rather than join his brother at Louisville, in which case Butler becomes a bit more of a player in this recruitment. This staff did a great job recruiting the state for 2021, and Davis is currently the only in-state player with an offer from this class.

- Justin Taylor would be a home-run of a commitment. His rating might have dipped a bit recently for recruiting, but he would be a perfect fit for the future of the program. Big-time shot-maker with great size, excellent from deep, deadly from the high-post, and is an improving finisher. Can play multiple positions at 6-foot-7. Butler's future features a lot of strong pieces, in my opinion, but I'm not sold on anyone being a go-to scorer (there are a couple guys with potential for that though). I like Taylor as someone who can do that. This is going to be a very difficult recruiting battle to win, especially if Virginia offers. He lives only a few minutes from campus.

- Same goes for Javaughn Hannah. He's not as highly regarded but the guy can flat-out fill it up. He has excellent size for the backcourt at 6-foot-4 and is a lights-out scorer, particularly from beyond the arc. He's a better ball-handler than is given credit for, but does need to improve on his playmaking. Hannah is listed as a shooting guard basically everywhere, but he should have the ball in his hands more often than not. I'm not sure how big the need is for another ball-dominant guard with Tate/Harris/Jayden taking the reins for the future, but Hannah could be that electric scorer that might be missing in the current plans. Neither major Michigan school has extended an offer yet - he feels like the type of guy that somehow gets under-ranked throughout high school.

- I can't find any fault in targeting Will Shaver. Even though he's from the southeast and is generating a ton of interest there, he is the type of do-it-all forward that Butler needs. He's already 6-foot-10 and is reportedly still growing. Wouldn't be a shock if he ends up close to being a 7-footer and takes a massive jump in recruiting ranking over the next year. He can play the 4 or the 5, can stretch the floor a bit, protects the rim. He's definitely a want, and he's also not new to the recruiting board for 2022. Shaver already took a visit to campus last fall. Butler had success out-of-state in 2020 and Shaver would be awesome.

- Additionally, some of the other names that I am at least intrigued by include Leon Bond, CJ Gunn, Saxby Sunderland, Pete Suder.

For the full article, here's the link: https://www.patreon.com/posts/41572601

18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,274
    Not sure where to put this, but Corey Evans of Rivals got hired by the OKC Thunder as an amateur scout. Interesting. I like him, always thought his Butler coverage was pretty fair for a national guy.