Recruiting Notes 5.0 (The Summer of the Hazmat Suit)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by willisbrown, Apr 27, 2020.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $537
    Mr. Basketball in some states doesn’t translate to anything higher than a 3 star in the recruiting rankings, sadly.

Solid players, sure. But every team in the top half of the Big East has similar or more talented players coming in.

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,526
    I'd refrain from getting too caught up in stars or rankings. Guys can either play or they can't. While even others progress at different rates. BU like other teams have to rebuild at certain times. I doubt BU will ever challenge for a BE title year in and year out. With budget restraints and keeping the program clean we have managed to be competitive. This season the injury bug has surfaced and otherwise we could have expected more. That said, another mobile big would prove a welcome addition.

2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $966
    Another mobile big for sure and make sure our big is "BIG EAST" big!
    Nobody could anticipate the sequence of events that impacted the size and strength of this team: Tucker left (kind of expected) Hodges steps in (no he doesn't) Scooby goes down, Thompson misses 5 games, Coles goes down, Bolden is being asked to contribute outside his normal role, Tate, Harris, Nze and Golden asked to do way more than expected, Wilmoth was going to redshirt, remember?) and Thompson is leading this "Battlestar Galactica" to wherever we go record wise.
    Even with the full cast (less Tucker) we were small by Big East standards and that issue has to be addressed. I pretty much say this every year. AND we were left with only 1 proven 3 point shooter in Bolden going into the season. The good news is our recruits are showing well and shooting better than expected. As a team 36% from 3 this year. All 4 of them have potential to shoot well from distance.
    This is an excellent recruiting class and we got a Tucker replacement in Hodges via transfer, that for whatever reason, did not work out. Recruiting well was not the issue this season which was expected to be a rebuild year. Many said, with Hodges, Scooby and Coles we're middle of the league (4-6). They're out. Probably accurate but we'll never know. For the remainder of this season, I'm looking to see continued growth from the 4 freshmen, a few surprise wins, and more of that classic Butler toughness as the season progresses.

4. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $849
    I just looked at Rivals top 150 for 2021. I see that there are 23 Big East recruits who made the list. Zero for Butler.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,617
    Rankings certainly don't mean everything, but I suppose I could see your frustration. As an FYI, if you had looked up the same thing a year ago you would have been able to make the same comment. With that being said, I think the consensus opinion is that we are very happy with our current freshmen and we don't even know what Scooby can do yet. I feel like everything 50-300 is a crap shoot. The only sure fire good players are in the top 50, but a lot of times those players come with some baggage, egos, or are only 1-2 year players. If there is anything I trust LaVall to do it's recruit (that's not me saying he can't do anything else).

WMUDog, Shimmy, BUcheer and 1 other person like this.
  6. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,081
    I haven't seen them play this year, so I am happy to hear perspectives, but my impression is that only Taylor, of the 3, has made a significant leap on the floor (given his commitment to Butler, we probably won't see any improvement in his ranking). From those that have seen any of them play, would that be fair?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,798
    Yes, Taylor has made by far the biggest jump ot the 3 this year. He had put himself in serious contention for Mr Basketball. I doubt he gets it due to his team. But you could argue he's been playing the best ball this year. Thomas you can see really good things with, he also has zero help and is not yet a great enough shot creator to be able to be at consistent as Taylor has been. What Taylor has been doing through double and triple teams and box and 1s with his efficiencies had me very optimistic about what he will be able to do. He's what at times we've needed this year a guy who when you need a bucket or get to the free throw line and make them. He's excellent at getting to the line and a very good FT shooter. At 6'4 he's a future go to scorer. All 3 due to their athleticism have tremendously high ceilings. And each will be very good at their initial roles I think.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg likes this.
  8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,695
    To me Taylor has always been this good. Remember that 2 summers ago he played on the same team as Blake Wesley and put up superior numbers. He's better this year for sure, but it's more natural development from being a year older than anything I would consider a jump.

Remember, the rankings are going to be all screwed up this year because of Covid and lack of exposure.

9. seadawg

Money:
    $8,526
    All the more reason to congratulate LJ for recognizing his talent and potential.

10. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $756
    To me....the 21 class was not that crucial. The 20 class was vital and LJ hit a grand slam with five players that should be the foundation for NCAA tournament teams for the next three years (After this one). I think 21's were to provide solid back-up and competition for the 20's. Once ingrained in the program, we will see what those 21's can do. Going forward, we need size and strength in the 22's. I'm confident LJ will lasso what's needed.

WMUDog likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,092
    If I am LaVall...I'm doing nothing outside of identifying 2022 and 2023 bigs...top 50ish and throwing the kitchen sink at them. We need no guard help...we need a big east masher. Or two.

I'm intrigued by the '21 class, but I don't expect any to be as good as Harris/Tate/Coles/Scooby. If they are, we're in for a real treat.

BoyGeoff and iluvsnow like this.
  12. seadawg

Money:
    $8,526
    In typical fashion you underestimate the 21 class. There is a consensus a quality big is needed in both 22 and 23, but additionally there is need for a bona-fide long range sniper.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,092
    There will be a couple roster openings (already one and Hastings is ghost)...we need to pray he nabs a transfer sniper and a banger. We have the room. Gotta make it happen.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  14. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $966
    Yes to this!

15. seadawg

Money:
    $8,526
    Hopefully BU is continuing to scout/recruit Xavier Booker, Cathedral's 6'10" sophomore.

BoyGeoff and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,961
    If Hastings stepped away because of Covid (rumor?) then he will be back next year. No?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,798
    I really hope they are still in on Will Shaver, the dude is turning into an absolute monster, exactly what we are looking for. It'll be tough he's got ton's of competition, announcing a top 8 soon

seadawg likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,092
    Possibly I pay waaaaay too much attention and am way too much of a CBB nerd...but from what I've seen the "opting out for covid" has been cover for "transferring out". Possibly not the case here but "personal reasons" "out indefinitely" and "stepping away for personal reasons due to covid" screams he wants out. Again maybe not, but the kid was in line for some serious run with all the injuries, run he's never received nor will in the future at Butler. The timing is curious at best and I do not expect to see him playing for Butler in the future.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,433
    He’s not coming back.

PSUButlerFan, BoyGeoff and BUcheer like this.
  20. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,324
    Is it possible, maybe even likely that we won't have anyone from our 2019 class on our roster next year?