Recruiting Notes 7.0 - The Summer of Thad 2022

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    I believe JMM has two years of eligibility remaining due to "free" COVID year last year.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
  2. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    Butler is severely unbalanced on scholarships right now. However, I'm not sure that matters too much anymore with the portal.

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    Agree, but I'll admit I trust Ryan James. He's been doing this for a long time and is consistently at many events live tweeting about guys. There's also a few stories online about the jump this kid seemingly made between his sophomore & junior year of school ball.

We need an athletic 4 in this class. I think Wilmoth is our 5 for the next few years, so to pair any athletic big with him who can play Thad's up tempo offense is a priority.

BNiche and Shane Davis like this.
  4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,385
    So wait his ranking is ok and he made a jump??? Yet, Turnbull couldn't possibly have made a jump ever??? WOWZERS

PS: I really like this kid a lot, a better version of Nze, but I just find your statements hilarious in terms of players rankings...

5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    Do you see anyone with a good reputation in the recruiting industry saying Turnbull is a Top 100 kid? Me neither.

Do you see Turnbull standing in Thad's office? Me neither.

Turnbull is gone fellas.

6. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
    All I know is that Butler has historically struggled to reel in/retain mobile bigs such as Kadyn Betts, I thought maybe it was going to get better under Lavall but that didn't pan out either. If we start getting momentum recruiting guys like that, we're going to have a MUCH better time holding out own against the likes of Providence and Xavier, plus it allows Butler to start establishing themselves as a destination school for those players as well. First things first - Butler needs to be seen as a shooter's school again, but if we get those along with bigs that can protect the paint better and recover on close outs, then we're on our way to having some of those elite defenses that Collier had in his OSU days.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    znelson15 and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  7. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,899
    Didn't we recently see a tweet/post analyzing Thad's teams over the years and his is pretty much always mid tempo? Where is this notion that we are suddenly going to be a high speed team coming from?

UDDawg likes this.
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,937
    TM's job to rebuild the program is difficult enough without spreading negative vibes to potential recruits. Being somewhat skeptical within reason is practical, but to what extent when dealing with unknowns?

tlp63 and ButlerProf like this.
  9. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    Please tell me this fake news

10. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $521
    In one of his interviews, he said he ideally wants to play uptempo and shoot threes, but he also said he'll tailor the offense to his players' best skillsets.

11. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,768
    Well compared to what we’ve had past few years anything else would be considered *more* up tempo. Not a high bar to achieve

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    I hope James is right and that he knows better than all of the P6 coaches, who apparently aren't yet convinced. If he blows up, maybe we'll be in on the ground floor and will be his first P6 offer.

bumba likes this.
  13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,882
    Please report back. Wear your BU gear proudly! Also be on the lookout for a certain BU legend watching his son play

14. bicknob

bicknob Active Member

Money:
    $243
    I was rocking some Butler gear like usual don’t worry.

As far as 3ssb went, I tried to stay on courts where either Rags or Kuwik were. I saw Team Rose vs Team Trae Young where both guys were watching. Guys that popped out for me were:

Kaden Cooper (https://247sports.com/player/kaden-cooper-46109947/) who has unreal bounce and a good shot

Ja’Kobe Walter (https://247sports.com/player/jakobe-walter-46102719/) probably out of reach at this point

Cameron Barnes (https://247sports.com/player/cameron-barnes-46104190/) long athletic kid with a solid shot

Kuwik was also at Wildcat Select’s game and after watching I hope they start recruiting Dellquan Warren (https://247sports.com/player/dellquan-warren-46110640/ ) because he was unbelievable.

Rags sat in on the Indy Elite team to presumably watch JQ

NCJon, BHayden, bumba and 1 other person like this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348

Sounds like the staff caught a lot of games. Will be interesting who visits this weekend (if any) while still in town.

16. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,761
    If anyone is at UAA or 3ssb today, hit my DMs and come holler. I’m at UAA now, might make the switch later in the day.

17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,882
    Nice report—thanks! Spot any other BU presence?;)

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348

ButlerBoyz likes this.
  19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348

In Thad We Trust

cornette33 likes this.
  20. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $768
    According to this source, you are correct. This table also shows how miserable recruiting and retention was for the Senior and Junior classes of the 22-23 season.

upload_2022-4-10_9-57-10.png

bumba likes this.