Recruiting Notes 7.0 - The Summer of Thad 2022

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 6, 2022.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,325
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,882
  3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,199
    2xDawg likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348

5. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,768
    I guess our "other level" facilities weren't enough to put us over the top.

6. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $804
    Doubt he had a committable offer at this point. With Bates and Thomas on board we shifted our focus to the guard position.
    Sure Thad is targeting a 2024 big or or two for when Bates and Thomas use up eligibility

SCbulldogsfan4life likes this.
  7. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,272
    This was an eye opener for me on the veracity of recruit ratings....
    [​IMG]

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,937
    Yet just another example of how the ratings are overrated.

9. Albick

Money:
    $2,768
    I totally agree that there is pretty good evidence to suggest that the ratings don't do a particularly good job of predicting who will do well in college.

A couple of questions: first, what do the ratings purport to rate? Are they judgments or who the best players have been in high school (or are at the end of high school) or are they predictions of who will do the best in college?

What does being "Player of the Year" actually mean? Does it mean, for example, that Frank Kaminsky was the best player in college basketball during his senior season or, perhaps, that he had the best season of any college basketball player that year, or maybe that he was the most valuable player on a contending team, or something else? If players were re-rated at the end of that year, would Kaminsky have necessarily been rated number 1? I note that the NBA didn't believe these were the best players--or at least would not be the best NBA players--as, I believe, Zion Williamson was the only Player of the Year who was picked number 1 in the NBA draft. The rest went lower--many much lower. (Kaminsky, for example, went 52nd.)

Another honest question: how much of the discrepancy between high school rating and college player of the year voting results from terrible judgment by the raters and how much results from incredible improvement by these players during their college careers (or maybe from other factors such as being in a system that highlights their strengths and hides their weaknesses)?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  10. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,761
    Just a note: Garza* went 52nd. Kaminsky went ninth.

Albick and 2xDawg like this.
  11. Albick

Money:
    $2,768
    Noted, Lukas. Thanks for the correction.

12. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $649
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    My guess is Villanova fans probably think ratings matter. They've had 4 and 5 star kids since we've been in the league. Brunson is about to sign a max contract for f'ing powerball money. Josh Hart signed for $25 million in guaranteed money a few years ago. Robinson-Earl signed an $8 million rookie contract....

All of those guys were Top 100. That's what many of us have been saying for years. Aim higher.

Daddysmack likes this.
  14. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,694
    The year is 2045, someone posts about how recruiting rankings no longer matter in the metaverse form of basketball.

Title: Here is my internet webpage from 2013. Title smiles as he has won yet another internet post.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

noltar, Daddysmack and 2xDawg like this.
  15. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638

An oldy but goody. If he could throw in a title prediction here and there then I'll finally be convinced that good times are ahead for us. ;)

Call me crazy, but give Thad 20 years and I'm willing to bet we do see one happen in that time.

16. Albick

Money:
    $2,768
    Just curious: now that all 2023 scholarships are committed, what happens in terms of recruiting of 2023s? Does the staff stop? Do they continue to make offers? Do they withdraw all current offers? If a 2023 who they really want desires to accept an offer, what does the staff do? Do they agree, anticipating that at least one current Butler player other than Hunter won't return? I'm confident that we don't want to get a reputation as a staff that Creans, but could they have already had talks with, say, Mulloy and gotten an indication that he does not intend to return in 2023? Is it all done with nods and winks? How does this work?

17. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,325
    Wait, so you're telling me scouts don't rank players by who they think will be the best college POY rather by who will be the best basketball player? Color me shocked

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  18. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,325
    Yeah, the whole Cody Zeller, Noah, Vonleh, Frank Kaminsky. Back to back to back 1rd draft picks really got my cousin from NC in hating IU basketball. After finally nailing the LaMelo pick, I'm getting closer to believing him that the frachise is cursed after what transpired this past week.

NCJon likes this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,862
    No, they don’t stop. Bizjack could decommit. There could be a Scooby situation (God forbid). They keep recruiting players and likely tell them to be patient as “they work the numbers out”. They don’t withdraw offers. If a top player wants to commit they accept and find room/figure it out later. The other option is to just not accept the commitment at the time, but that may lose them the player. Butler likely doesn’t have enough clout for this. They could get an indication from the player on plans by having direct conversations, but they also might have to be very honest about where the player stands. In Thad’s case some players who still have years left but don’t crack the lineup likely leave. If not, they can be told they won’t play, so they will likely leave. But Butler staff can’t be caught with their pants down, so they have to keep going as is.

dawgs2014 and NCJon like this.
  20. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,475
    I have infinitely more faith in Thad in this respect that I did for the former staff. I suspect that Butler will try to add one more 2023 HS player. I also suspect that there will be 1-2 transfers after the season because I think Thad will be completely honest with players and playing time. And given portal numbers, it's just a price of doing business these days.