Rene Castro - 2013 Point Guard (Duquesne)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Ignatius J. Reilly, Sep 10, 2012.

1. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    This. No way to go thru your Fr. year. One of the more disappointing and least focused players I have ever seen come into this Program.

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109
    It was pretty obvious from day 1 he didn't care. Looked uninterested in the first practice I saw prior to the Australia trip. Sounds like he's had his wake up call and is working hard this summer though.

3. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $227
    A bad selection. We are much better off because of his leaving the program. Hope he finds a team.

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    He committed to Duquesne in April.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    rene came to the game on Saturday to cheer for butler.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Good to hear. He may very well had difficulties at Butler because he came to play for Stevens only to have that dream shattered and reacted the way he did out of frustration when Stevens left before the school year ever started. Hopefully he will do positive things.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    Craig MeyerVerified account ‏@CraigMeyerPG 23h23 hours ago
    Duquesne wins 2nd game of its Irish tour, 100-54, beating Neptune Bball Club. Derrick Colter with 15 and Rene Castro with 12 and 7 assists.

Craig MeyerVerified account ‏@CraigMeyerPG Aug 6
    Duquesne wins its first game in Ireland, defeating Galway Select, 86-51. Derrick Colter with 18 pts, L.G. Gill with 13 & Rene Castro with 12

8. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    So now that the five recent transfers (Berry, Brown, Castro, Smeathers and Volovic) all will be eligible for the full season this year, which do you think will contribute the most to his team and which do you think really would have added to this year's Butler team if they had stayed?

9. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Smeathers looked to be a solid player for WMU last year but got injured late in the year. My vote would be him.

As for who could help BU, maybe Castro at the backup PG spot (if he wasn't a headcase) or Smeathers as a Pete Campbell lite. I was sold the least on Berry, foresee him having trouble even at the UC Davis level. Brown will end up a very good player down the line if he learns the difference between a good and bad shot. He has the most potential out of the 5. Just no room for him starting wise on this BU roster, which is what he wanted.

10. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,537
    Brown is easily the most talented of the five.

That said, leaving for New Mexico was a good decision on his part. It worked out very nicely for both parties.

11. oldstyle1908

oldstyle1908 Active Member

Money:
    $2,983
    5 PTs in debut

12. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,644
    Yeah, so we just got our ass handed to us by Duquesne by 26... And Castro entered the game for the first time when they emptied the bench with 2:26 to go. Doesn't really seem to be in their plans this year.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Looks like he was the last one to go in. Not good after sitting out a year to improve his skills.

14. MilkSteak

Money:
    $3,537
    Sounds like Rene got himself a big slice of pie days before Thanksgiving. Humble pie.

15. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    Looked like Castro started out reasonably well with Duquesne getting about 15 minutes in each of the first two games before the Penn State game.

Castro's situation with Butler was one of the strangest that I've ever seen. He went into a game (I think it was the home game against DePaul that we lost in double OT) after Barlow got in foul trouble. Played pretty well for a few minutes, then he had the ball stolen from him as he was bringing it up the court and seemed to lose all confidence. He didn't seem to want to touch the ball after that, which is a very bad thing for a point guard. Wouldn't even bring the ball up the court--Kam was bringing it up because Castro was running away from the ball. It's the only time that I've ever thought I actually saw the exact play that was the beginning of the end for a player.

16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Looks like Rene only plays at best two minutes a game.

17. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
  18. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
  19. MilkSteak

Money:
    $3,537
    Bumping after something I heard about his departure.

Heard from someone that heard from someone close to the program (I know...I know...but I'm serious) that he left Butler because he thought he should've started in front of Barlow.

Nothing really earth-shattering, but I thought it was still interesting.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    Must have been a crazy experience being trapped in the snow. ESPN says it took 30 hours for them to get home.