Robert Phinisee- 2022 Guard Transfer (Cincinnati)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by butlerfan, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
  2. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    I have a feeling he won’t be making it to Cincy..

BHayden, Tentozen, SpringDawg and 5 others like this.
  3. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,694
    I was about to say the same. We’re going to have 2 more Dawgs before end of the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,638
    It's funny you say that, I'm almost thinking the same thing. Thinking about that brought back memories of all the times Butler would make it on a list for recruits to visit, all the while knowing that they usually never get the chance to host them because the kids commit before its their turn.

5. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $391
    That was all the time. Those days might be over.

tobystorrs likes this.
  6. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,000
  7. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,790
    Since he isn't a great 3pt shooter, anyone has his number shooting inside the arc?

8. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,037
    I was skeptical about the numbers you posted but I checked and you are right. They are pretty bad. What is the attraction with this kid?

9. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,016
    From my perspective:

We only have 1 PG on the roster and he barely played last year because of a torn ACL and hasn't proven he's recovered

I only view Rob as a steady veteran who can give us 15-20 minutes and not hurt us, not as a put us over the top piece

He only takes up a scholarship for one year

Thad is familiar with him and his fit on this team

10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    I think he gives you options at PG and only takes a spot for 1 year. He’s a good defender and can run an offense. He’s a career 31% 3pt shooter, which is at least enough that teams have to respect him - plus just from watching him, he seems like a slightly better shooter than that. (Honestly, Archie really screwed him up his first 2 seasons).

He could either start at PG to allow people like Harris, Taylor, and Simas to play for off the ball. Or he could be a very solid backup PG. If Tate was more of a known commodity, I’d say he’s probably not necessarily. But at this point, I do think he’s a slight upgrade to Tate. And for only one season, with a few spots open, I say it’s a low risk addition.

11. Shane Davis

Money:
    $1,638
    Exactly. I think some here are putting too much emphasis on the fact that he can't shoot very well, but that's not what he would be coming here to do. Let's say hypothetically Tate we're healthy, he might be your starter at PG, but he'll still need to rest that leg, plus you mix in Harris and Luko and you've got 3 guys capable of running point- it's still likely that one of them will come off the bench and that's not a lot of depth at guard. Phinisee would provide stability if one of those guys needs a rest or get in foul trouble, not to mention that Butler won't lose anything on defense if they put him out there.

The guy is simply insurance, a stop gap for one year to give this staff time to recruit guys for the future. We're not getting two Rudi Williams, so get Phinisee as a low cost option and then you still have spots left open to go after F/C transfers.

jal8908 and bmradio99 like this.
  12. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,369
    This is exactly where I am with this. He provides stability when they need to get a full roster, and somebody with his experience defending against higher-caliber players is a nice thing to have, even if he doesn't wow you offensively.

jal8908 likes this.
  13. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,512
    He is a highly intelligent player that will help the coaches get through to the younger guys. He has been big in some big moments. I think he is a great option to have in your 8-9 man rotation, especially for a team snakebitten recently with injuries. By all accounts, he is also a really good dude. Painter has gushed over him for years. He makes a lot of sense, especially because he knows how to play a role and does not have any idea he is coming in to average 18 points a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac, NCJon, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  14. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,426
    The "attraction" is simply the need to get Phinisee before he has an opportunity to beat us again ...

15. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,764
    Still can’t believe that shot. Kamar and AT were both in his shorts, and he nailed it.

16. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,774
    To have him, Turnbull and the kid from NC State all at the same time with all the positive vibe can’t be a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. MrDawg

MrDawg New Member

Money:
    $10
    Cincinnati was his choice

18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,191
  19. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
  20. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $616
    Darn. Gotta keep on the lookout for a PG I guess!