Robert Phinisee- 2022 Guard Transfer (Cincinnati)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by butlerfan, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,215
    This is what, the 300th post where you’ve stated you are a new poster? I think you can remove your rookie stripes now. Although emphasizing that fact just kind of cements the fact you are a long time lurker and poster.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $391
    I'm sure that's the point

3. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,425
    Srtax, any guess on who it might be? BTW, I love the Ali Ali name, as well. Very cool.

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,882
    Believe Joey Brunk has on more year. Can you imagine if he teamed up with Phinisee back where he started from 9 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,614
    Cannot tell if this is a joke but hard hard hard No to Brunk

ButlerProf and IrishDawghouse like this.
  6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,215
    Nope. Nor do I care.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    Frankly I had read it twice to make sure he hadn’t taken something I said out of context per the usual M.O.

I thought it would be a slam dunk he would, or maybe one could even call it a Thunderdunks.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  8. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,145
    I agree but we're talking about a one year bridge here, with loads of experience.

9. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    Pretty sure this joke was in reference to the back seat of a cop car. An alleged incident of course

dawgs2014 likes this.
  10. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    As much grief as AT has gotten on this board, it is pretty comical to see people validating getting another version of him.

11. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    It would be different if he had several years of eligibility left. We also only have 1 true PG who is still coming back from an ACL injury. You could argue the PG position is the most important.. do you really want to gamble on Tate’s bionic leg? I’m convinced that Phinisee is better than his stats indicate last season. His career FT isn’t great at 65% but it’s better than 41% last season. His career 3P% is 30% which is better than any of our guards last season.

As a comparison, AT shot a career 57% FT and 23% from 3. They are NOT the same. Would I prefer someone flashier? Sure but our defense might have to win us games next year like in the old days and I trust Rob’s D and Thad’s judgement since he evaluated him over the course of many practices last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

HinkleMagic20 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  12. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,512
    It really wouldn’t be different. I am not saying he is not the best viable option, but we need to stop recruiting PG’s who can’t shoot. It should be the exception, not the rule.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I’d take AT over Phinisee every day . Don’t see the comparison at all other than they both play the same position. Seriously don’t know the attraction.

2xDawg likes this.
  14. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
    Look I'm not trashing on Thompson, I appreciate everything he did for Butler. When it became a matter of choosing Thompson over Phinisee I was fine with it, but that doesn't make Phinisee trash either. We're not calling him a starting caliber point guard, but he should be fine off the bench, and at least he's more likely to knock down a shot if teams crowd the paint.

Thompson and Phinisee both have flaws in there game, but that doesn't make them bad players or not worth having on your team.

15. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $521
    I love how people are being super picky about this now, when the alternative at point guard right now is Myles Tate, who's still working his way back from a torn ACL, or having Chuck Harris play out of position. Simas, who would also be playing out of position, is in the transfer portal too. I think Phinisee is fine for a year stopgap until Matta can get on his own recruiting cycle.

Do you know something about Nijel Pack coming to Butler that I don't?

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    I don’t really know if Phin can provide us solid play. After looking at his metrics, my thinking is probably not. But we’ve got tons of scholarships available for 2022-2023, and because he’s a one year guy, he has no impact on our 2023 scholarship situation. In other words, unless he’s a locker room problem - and there’s no indication he is (and Thad would know), there’s very little downside to getting him. It’s not worth debating.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    It was joke response. Sorry if it didn't translate.

ButlerBoyz likes this.
  18. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    At the end of the day I trust in Thad. He knows Phinisee and his limitations which is probably worth more than getting an unknown PG. I get that. That said career 3pt Numbers
    AT- 21-90 for 23.3%
    Phinisee- 94-324 for 29%

Phinisee attempted more 3's in one season then AT did his entire career. The difference, AT knew he couldn't shoot so he didn't. Phinisee stalled the offense more than he got it going at IU. If people think teams are going to be worried about Phinisee being able to spread out the defense with his shooting I think we need to come back to reality. After 4 years what you see is what you get with Phinisee. A stop gap PG that can play decent defense and can't shoot. If you're fine with that then that's okay. I would think we could do better and should want better is all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  19. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    He wasn't making a move on a Delta Gamma, he was trying to make a move on those handcuffs and not the fuzzy kind. Compromise?

bumba likes this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    Agree, it's one year. Worst case scenario is he's a backup off the bench. He's better than any depth we've had recently. I also don't like the idea of Chuck playing minutes at the 1. The guy dribbles the shot clock into the ground.