Rowan Brumbaugh - 2022 Point Guard (Northwestern)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Lukas Harkins, May 1, 2021.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,874
    What is the point of a degree except to get a job and open doors? If NW and UT are the same, then the degree is the same. What else could possibly matter? “Prestige” only works if it opens otherwise closed doors, which it doesn’t in this case (which you acknowledge).

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,128
    Learning and learning how to learn and think critically…?

“Opening doors”/network may be what determines what you do at 23, but how well you can learn and perform is what will determine what you do at 33 and 43 and 53. Northwestern would surely be less fun, and maybe the two do open a similar number of doors (though I also doubt this), but I have little doubt the average student there is going to come out with a higher intellectual ceiling.

dawgs2014, 2xDawg and SnoopDawg like this.
  3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,874
    Ill agree with you regarding likely higher intellectual ceiling, but that’s not necessarily what you get in college. That’s also due to that types of kids that can get in - so they are predisposed to have those ceilings Bc they only let in a higher caliber of student.

Also, I’m not sure what industry you’re in, but UT goes further in the business world than Northwestern. I honestly NEVER run into Northwestern, and I do a lot of stuff in Chicago. Anyone good there goes to U Chicago since Booth is a top 3 business school.

And you can learn/perform anywhere. Any education is what you make of it…

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,320
    I actually had the same vibe. I didn’t get the liberal vibe.

Dallas actually felt more liberal in the areas I was in there. That’s almost certainly sample size error for Dallas though.

I will say that Love Field’s Covid protocols were much stricter than O’Hare’s though.

Love Field is pretty much heaven on Earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,128
    I agree inputs influence outputs. But on the one hand you have a large, warm-weather flagship public school sports power, and on the other you have a relatively small private university that is known almost exclusively and globally for its academic strength. Which students are more likely to a have rigorous and formative academic experience? That’s the only point I was trying to make.

(And I’m not some closet northwestern homer and not trying to make it out to be or more than it is - it’s not even the best university in its city - but equating the academic experience to UT’s is too far the other direction.)

This isn’t part of the point I was trying to make but wanted to just say that this is merely anecdotal and equating this experience to “UT goes farther in the business world” is silly. It would make perfect sense for you to know more UT grads in a neutral/non home market for these schools given how huge UT is (assuming you’re talking about Texas alumni generally and not just Texas MBAs). But either way, experiences like this of course may not be representative. Kellogg’s grads crush in Chicago and elsewhere, and no serious person would argue with a straight face that one will on average be better off going to McCombs over Kellogg.

100%. But in general most would make more of their experience in a culture like MIT’s than at a place like ASU.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    PSUButlerFan likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,320
    1) Booth is a better school than Kellogg. If, however, we’re going to celebrate Booth being ranked 3rd, it’s *really* hard to say McCombs is better than Kellogg, when Kellogg is ranked 4th and McCombs is ranked 18th.

2)Sorry, but saying Northwestern is only better bc of a higher Intellectual ceiling is ridiculous. Here’s why: the top students at both schools are going to be spectacular. The top students at both schools are going to be able to stand up with the top students at any school anywhere. But if anything is the difference, it’s the floor and median students. Texas has an average act range of 27-33. Northwestern is 33-35. When one school’s top quartile is benchmarked by another school’s bottom quartile, it’s *really* hard to say they are substantially equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg likes this.
  7. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,533
    Both are great examples for Butler to strive for.

8. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627