Scholarship renewal policy

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by pf1, Apr 30, 2013.

1. pf1

pf1 New Member

Money:
    $5

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $314
    Chase Stigall was welcomed back to sit on the bench when Butler could've added their starting center for the next couple years in Evan Smotrycz (his girlfriend evidently went to Butler)

There's your answer.

D. is the answer that is used around the country.

3. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Back in the early 90's we went from 15 to 14 to 13 scholarships in the span of three years. NCAA was all about cost containment. To 13 has become too much of a burden for college coaches. The transfers are just incredible nowadays. I really think the scholie reduction has hurt college basketball coaches more than the reduction in football did the coaches there. You are really in a bind if you make a few recruiting mistakes here and there and it is very unethical at what some of these coaches do at year end to players. Stevens doesn't adhere to that punt philosophy. A return to 14 or 15 scholies would really help a school like Butler. And why hasn't the NCAA returned more scholies for college basketball? The money generated is enormous now. Let's return some of that to kids. Giving 2 more scholies again opens up another 600 plus D1 opportunities for kids. And players that underperform could still remain at schools and get their degrees too.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...exas-ohio-state-athletic-departments/2128147/

Rising scholarship costs continued to play a major role in athletics spending increases in 2012, but outlays for coaching compensation rose faster. Spending on scholarships went up by 8.7%, spending on coaching compensation by 9.2%

-----------------------

Coaching compensation is really something that ADs need to get a handle on. I think alot of coaches would embrace a return to 14 or 15 scholies. One of the better ways to do this is for the Head Coaches to cut their salaries some. Do some of these guys need to be making 3 to 4M a year? No way IMO. Coaching compensation rising faster than the scholarship's given to kids is IMO a travesty.

5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,949
    I think your ideas are interesting, unfortunately, it hasn't been the M.O. of the Butler program. Now, we all know that the game has changed rather swiftly with the moves to new conferences in successive seasons, but I just don't see this administration "forcing" someone out. Whether that's right or wrong is debatable, I think there's some merit and cachet that Stevens gets for being a straight-shooter and a "man of his word"... the question remains if this is mutually exclusive from having a competitive team year in and year out.

I know we all want to be top contenders as soon as possible and strike while the iron of the back to backs is hot as it were, but I really think that it's going to take at least a decade to be able to fairly judge whether we've been successful in the move to the NBE or not.

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yzewski-coach-k-duke-salary-pay-2011/2156231/

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Ben Weixlmann‏@BWeixScout20h
    What Drew told @KyleNeddenriep and what I posted on BillikenReport earlier are very similar. SLU doesn't look good coming out of this

8. budawgs13

budawgs13 Member

Money:
    $5
    he left on his own. pretty sure collier views scholarships as commitments until eligibility is exhausted. didn't hear that from him but that was the speculation by a source.

9. budawgs13

budawgs13 Member

Money:
    $5
    Yes. Yes we are. But I think the question that we have to decide there is are we interested in ethics or winning more? From a utilitarian standpoint, I think without a doubt every sport except men's basketball should be ethics. I think that men's basketball should be evaluated more on a case by case basis. It benefits every student to have a great basketball team. I think if there is a lack of work or an attitude problem, then lets look at a release. If a kid is deemed worthy of a scholarship in recruitment, comes in and does everything that he can to get better and serves as a great teammate; then he has done everything in his power to help the team and should be rewarded for it. I don't think we should release kids who committed to the hl and aren't good enough for the nbe. It's out of their control.

10. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,949
    The only problem is that players we are talking about are the ones who all think that they are going to leave early for the draft and hence they don't care about the oversigning because they feel it won't apply to them. Perhaps if this continues to happen, then kids will catch on to it, but I'm not holding my breath.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,719
    Part of the throwaway society. Hope Butler never stoops to that level. Guys like Crean, Pitino and Calipari do not impress me.

12. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
  13. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $241
  14. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351