Scooby Johnson Out For Season (Torn ACL)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $529
    Dang Willis you left out Hastings, Campbell Donovan and the other redshirt forward walkon

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
    I did miss Hastings, but then again I haven't seen him in two years so....easy to forget.

Walk ons were left out I was saying schollie guys.

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,178
    Damn. This sucks. But far the most important thing is for him to have a successful surgery so he can come back at 100%. Sucks for this year, but this is about his career. ACL rehab is no joke - it requires pretty serious dedication and mental strength. So hopefully he buckles down and gets that right so he can have a long and successful career.

NCJon and seadawg like this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
    The key is dedication to the rehab as you stated...but also the mental commitment to it. As one who has had a bad knee injury...the keyr is trusting in the rehab and getting past the mental block which comes with the injury. Trust is key. You'll never be the same if you don't trust the procedure and trust your body.

God this sucks though. He's young and his knee will be fine....but you have to have the fortitude to push through it.

seadawg likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,696
    Rehab really is so much harder than most people realize. You get this initial excitement when you are able to start training again and then it’s just constantly demoralizing because you can’t perform at the level you expect to.

For example, if you are used to running a 5 minute mile it can be tough to work harder than you’ve ever worked before to run a mile yet it takes you 8 minutes. So then you push yourself harder because you know you are capable of more, but then don’t even finish the mile because you pushed too hard early. It really is a tough mental battle.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 and estar20dawg like this.
  6. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,269
    I tore up my knee my freshman year playing Tennis at Butler. Ralph and the rest of the staff were incredible to work with during the process of recovery. Hinkle has some incredible facilities that will help him rehab. Having two other teammates that have gone through the same thing will help him because they know everything he will be going through. The support will be there for Scoob. If the season does get cancelled (hoping it doesn't) this could be the best time to have a season ending injury (not that there ever is a good time to have an injury).

Tentozen and BUcheer like this.
  7. coach roastbeef

coach roastbeef Member

Money:
    $66
    zoinks!! bad news! heal up fast Scooby!

8. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $681
    This is a tough break, but I guess I echo the sentiment that if there is a year to miss, this is it.

9. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,967
    Tank year for a draft pick!

This sucks for Scooby. But would rather have him get all the way healthy over the span of a year. Hopefully he's able to still be involved in some light workouts and learn from Aaron Thompson (not his position specifically, but whole systems) while he's still at Butler.

10. WAJC77

WAJC77 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $609
    I desperately need a pick-me-up having just learned of this...(I'm too old to go get wasted! ..then again....) Just dont want Debbie Downer beating me over the head about how ACL's, while not career enders anymore, can certainly end up lowering someone's ceiling in the long run.....we havent caught many breaks in the last decade, starting with THE SHOT clanking off the rim, Clarke's tournament injury, etc (although Kelan and Kamar were a couple absolute steals ..... guess I've rambled through enough subjects now to distract me from Scooby's setback) :(

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,178
    Eh... I wouldn’t be too worried about his ceiling. I watched a lot of guys tear ACLs that came back the same.

In fact, Sean Lee tore his in the spring of 2008 and missed the entire 08 season (our Rose Bowl year). He went on to be a second-round draft pick, and when he was healthy, was one of the best LBs in football. In fact, he tore his ACL again in 2014, and in 2015 he was a Pro Bowler and in 2016 he was a Pro Bowler and a First Team All Pro.

12. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,188
    As much as I hate lists, I would love to see some ppl’s lists of 5 worst injuries Butler has suffered the past 20 years?

I think afterwards ppl will realize how fortunate we have been and that Trip & Blue 4 didn’t scurry under a ladder playing fetch or break a mirror. In keeping a #ThinkPositive mindset, even two of the past, major injuries I can think of can be spun into long term positives...

dawgs2014 likes this.
  13. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,510
    You're right, I'm having some trouble coming up with 5 truly major injuries we have had to deal with. I'm sure I'm missing some and I excluded ones like AT where he was missed dearly in the games he didn't play but wasn't a long term thing. In no order:

• Scooby
    • Christian x2
    • Rotnei
    • Roosevelt (may not have been good for him, but helped the team for his 5th year)
    • McDermott (may have helped him and the team both in the long run)

Honorable Mention for long term lingering ones:
    • Nored's shin (He was still a good defender, but definitely was not the same guy after surgery)
    • Butcher's knees (I think it took away a chance for him to be a solid contributor for us)
    • Hastings (crosses fingers this is the year he's healthy)
    Ok, going to find some wood to knock on that our relatively good luck keeps going. was

14. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,942
    The only injury that I can recall that I genuinely feel was a negative any way you look at it was Rotnei getting hurt against Marquette in the 2013 Round of 32. That team could have easily played in another final four.

As long as Rehab goes well (obviously the main priority and a big if) you can typically paint a silver lining of some sort.

15. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    Agreed with the sentiment (Until recently, Butler has largely avoided any major injuries), and Scooby's game isn't overly reliant on his athleticism as much as his overall skill and smarts, so I'm more confident that he'll be good when he does come back.

Top 5 Injuries? I don't know if I have a ranking system for them, but here are the ones I remember more vividly (I became a fan during the 05-06 season)
    1. Rose Jones Wrist Injury (made 2014-15 great, but didn't help 2013-2014)
    2. Ron Nored Shin Issues (Prevented him from being an even better defender)
    3. Rotnei Clarke's back injury (I don't think he was quite the same in 12-13 after that)
    4. Christian David's knee injury last year (Butler was better with him on the court)
    5. Garrett Butcher's constant knee issues during his career (He was an offensive beast in high school)

Hastings' injury issues would be an honorable mention for me. Kid really impressed during the state all-star game in Indy after his senior year, and I'd feel a lot more confidence that he'd be a solid contributor if he'd remained healthy. As is, other than a few knowns (Thompson, Nze, Golden), and a very likely (Bolden), just a bunch of question marks on this year's squad.

16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,695
    It's certainly difficult to put a positive spin on this. Without sipping too much kool-aid, it will allow others an opportunity to prove themselves. Although this team is short on experience, the only way to gain it is by playing. While there may be some positive surprises, the long term future remains bright.

17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,502
    Yeah I don’t think that we can tell what the long term impact of this is until we get into the future. I didn’t think we would be very good with or without him next year, so I think my biggest short term concern is that he would have gained a lot of valuable experience that would have helped us in 21-22 and now we probably can’t redshirt Wilmouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,116
    Hastings is from Michigan. How was he in a state all star game in Indy?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,695
    Game MVP as I recall.

20. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,578
    Prep Ball Stars Midwest Challenge. I think I recall he had like 24p/10r/2b for Team Michigan over Team Wisconsin.