Scotty’s Dawghouse Closes

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by nindiana, Jul 20, 2019.

1. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Is there any businesses at all open in the parking garage building after this?

Wonder what takes the spot of Scotty’s. Have to believe they’ll want to keep something in that spot for gamedays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. oldstyle1908

oldstyle1908 Active Member

Money:
    $2,942
    This absolutely sucks!!

3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Put a call into Sahm's they would make it work, those folks know how to run an eating establishment. Look at Liter House and Half Liter on the Monon Trail and Big Lugs
    and Sahm's on the Monon in Nora.

BHayden and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    I was thinking Sahm’s as well. I am surprised the on in West Clay seems to do as well as it is.

One other idea: Ale Emporium. It would kill at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BHayden and willisbrown like this.
  5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Seemed inevitable but still sad to hear it

6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    Does this mean all the Scotty’s are closed now?

7. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    At one point there was talk of a sushi restaurant going in to the old Pita Pit space, but that never came to pass.

I’ve been advocating using one of the spaces for a “healthy” grocery store that emphasizes fresh local stuff. Adding a deli counter, a juice/smoothie bar, and coffee would make a nice little option.

I’ll be curious to hear what Butler comes up with or who they try to attract. Having something that can be run by students seems logical.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    A high dollar grocery store on a college campus seems like an odd match. A) college students don’t buy a lot of groceries to begin with. B) they certainly aren’t springing for the more expensive stuff when they do.

And the residents in the surrounding areas have a Whole Foods and a Fresh Thyme fairly close by already.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    The problem is the high rent for those locations - makes it tough to make money even when constantly busy

10. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $4,781
    I think Scotty’s would have made money had the overall business not been so poorly mismanaged. They ran that venture into the ground. Pretty sad, especially given it was a pretty good local chain.

BHayden likes this.
  11. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    Actually there’s a good number of students who appreciate healthier options and who don’t want to walk to Broad Ripple. Butler also has a farm that could supply produce.

If you arrange so that students can use their meal cards or dawg bucks to shop there some of the cost issue balances out. Scotty’s and Metro took dawg bucks.

Of course, my big want for one of those spaces is a Jamba Juice, but that ain’t gonna happen. I am confident something healthier would go over well with the students.

12. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Member

Money:
    $95
    There was a Jamba Juice or something similar inside the HRC when I was a student. Not sure if it's still there because I don't exactly have a reason to go in there when I visit campus.

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    Sounds as if this retail experiment was doomed from the outset?

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    Restaurants need to generate revenue 12 months of the year. Hard to do on a small college campus during summer months, spring break and Christmas.

15. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $144
    I was surprised to see Metro close because that was the sort of place I thought could make a go of it in the neighborhood. It was different enough from Scotty’s (and I thought the food was better, too).

Does anyone who posts here know what the parameters of the deal these places had were? I figure there had to be some exchange with Butler for use of the space, and I know Scotty’s wasn’t wanting on game nights.

What would be y’all’s thoughts on what should go in to those spaces? I saw Sahms mentioned up thread.

16. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Feel like the only thing that could work in that spot is a seasonal pop-up bar/beer garden type place that only opens on weekends and gamedays during the school year. I can’t see a sit down restaurant working in that spot year round.

17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,141
    Would like to see a Big Lug type establishment replace Scotty’s. Or Fat Dan’s, but probably too close already. Maybe the old Pita Pit could be a carry out pizza joint? Butler’s going to have to double down on getting tenants—not a good look to have the retail space completely empty.

The new food service vendor is putting an emphasis on healthier food and bringing in local restaurants to help create a more interesting menu. Plus I think a market where the C-Club is to purchase limited groceries.

18. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Good call on Big Lug. Something like that would be awesome

BHayden likes this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Carry out pizza seems like a win in the Pita Spot. Wonder if Patachou has thought about that Metro space? Seems too close to the 54th and Washington location, though.

20. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $4,781
    49th and Penn, so literally right down the street. Would be interesting to see if Martha Hoover had any appetite for moving. Tough to think, given that is the first location and probably has a lot of emotional ties that may be tough to break.

I am honestly not sure if much of anything can be permanent unless you can keep the locals coming year-round. Even if you can get a place like Bub’s there, that may work well.

Hinkle likes this.