Scotty’s Dawghouse Closes

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by nindiana, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976
    In addition to game nights that area is popular when attending a performance at Clowes.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $748
    Smoothie King.

bumba likes this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
    Jimmy John's or Dunkin Donuts.

4. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,295
    I vote for The Eagle

BHayden and seadawg like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,527
    Perhaps lowering the cost of the lease would be a start?

6. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $251
    Based on a close friendship with a now-to-be Butler Senior who worked at Metro for 2 years until its untimely demise in January, the challenges with the property for Metro where two fold: 1) as hinted at by seadawg the cost of the lease which Butler was uninterested in renegotiating and 2) Metro was very close to having BU agree to let students use their meal cards at Metro when that deal was suddenly closed off by the University. When the meal card plan was terminated, Metro closed the next day.

Ongoing, Butler property management must reconcile their desire for the property producing on investment vs. what the market for a 9 month a year clientele property can produce for a lessee. Experience to date would indicate that Butler Property Management hasn't made that reconciliation yet.

BHayden, NCJon and dawgs2014 like this.
  7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    Sometimes Butler seems very antiquated, much like it was back in the sixties. For those of you who were around at that time remember the meal plan and living in the dorms?

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,132
    Wonder if negotiations with the new food service vendor put the kibosh on meal cards at Metro? If they wanted exclusivity on meal cards then it’s gonna hard to fill those spots.

9. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
  10. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $456
    Big Lug is amazing, that place would be fantastic. As someone who has been a student through all this (now 6th year pharmacy on rotations), the businesses that were there were so horribly managed. Scotty’s was way overpriced for students and the food just wasn’t good. Service was always awful. Same with Pita Pit. Metro was solid but something about that place always felt awkward. Seemed like they always had a decent crowd though so I’m surprised they closed.

Whoever comes in needs to be more student friendly. Maybe offer a burger night, a wing night, a $3 draft beer night (if the school will allow it, probably not), etc to bring the students in. No college kid wants to spend $15 for a sub par meal. It is extremely tough though in the summer. Butler becomes an absolute ghost town. You’d have to have something the locals loved too.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 and Sidd Finch like this.
  11. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,490
    Chipotle and/or a pizza joint should kill it. If the pizza is decent folks from the neighborhood will order, too. Napolese is pretty close, but beyond that it's Hot Box? I had Byrne's once (this was several years ago, admittedly) and it was absolute trash.

I don't live close enough to really care what goes in to the old Scotty's spot. I never made it to games early enough to try and grab a table, either.

I can't remember which of our threads turned into one about food, but I had lunch at a place called subito the other day and it was out of this world. It's a little sandwich and soup joint that, oddly enough, is located right downtown on Virginia Ave near the former Scotty's. It's been around for a while but only open for lunch, so I just got around to trying it recently. The sandwiches have artisanal ingredients but are still very hearty and filling. More Goose the Market than Panera Bread, if that means anything to anyone.

12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,527
    There are no shortages of possibilities but in truth this is not a prime location for any type of retail businesses IMHO. Perhaps on a larger campus it could be sustainable ? Unless the property management is willing to come up with a more reasonable agreement my guess is they sit vacant.

Sidd Finch likes this.
  13. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $363
    Would love to see Scotty's Dawghouse financials... I feel like that place had to be profitable to some extent... Although new management killed the menu, killed the all you can eat wings wednesday, & other deals. I feel like a pub/restaurant can be successful there but Butler is going to have to have to give in on either meal plan credits eligible to the space or allow owners to be open longer than 11pm during the school year and create a "nightlife atmosphere".

Shoot just increase the meal plan costs to hide the extra $$$ to allow students to use their plan there. They do that for everything else already.

14. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,779
    I get Butler owns the property, but do they own the structure? If so, subsidize it through something else. Get creative. There is definite value having eating establishments there. They’re just sitting on a garage that is adding no other economic value. Make it a capstone project for the business majors to present to the school.

If not, that was a bad move on the school’s part.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $807
    The fact that there are plans to a Neil Brown restaurant in Resco, and making it accessible to the public, is a bit of a head scratcher for me, as well.

I'm trying to decide how comfortable I am having the public come into a student living facility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,412
    I have a very hard time believing any of this has anything to do with the location specifically and is 100% related to the poor financial health, mismanagement, and subsequent closure of the Scotty's / Thr3e Wise Men franchise.

The garage filled a long-overdue long-term need. I can't tell what the private/internal/external ownership of the garage actually is; curious to know what actually is in place there. I can only find info from the real estate management company, but no other non-university owners or operators. (Whereas the residential buildings that are definitely not owned by Butler: that info is relatively easy to find, and has been well-known for a while.) The advantage to collecting less revenue from parking and retail rents is insulation from exactly this situation. Hopefully the university is able to absorb this. And hopefully some tenants move in. It's really fantastic to have some stuff within walking distance.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  17. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,608
    It was so nice having an eating/drinking establishment within walking distance of the game, even with the long waits. I was hoping business took off and there was another one or two places added. Attending games at Notre Dame, DePaul, Marquette, etc is so fun because of the many eating/drinking establishments within walking distance and filled with fans. (Fans are looser and makes the gameday better as well IMO). Hope butler can find another pub type place to go in there.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $151
    I think if it hadn’t been sold, Scotty’s would’ve been there for a very long time. It would be nice to have someone Butler-related or, at least, Indy-local to fill that hole.

I agree with the sentiment that Metro felt out of place. The servings are too big, cost too high for what it is on a campus.

Saw Smoothie King just opened in Avon; that would be a great option if Starbucks would be ok with it.

19. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    Wasn't the Dawghouse the last Scotty's to close? Makes me think that it was the company in general rather than that specific location. After Wise sold the company, the quality of food and service went downhill at the locations I visited.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  20. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    It's my understanding Scotty's Brewhouse was in financial distress and selling equity to raise operational capital prior to the new ownership group assuming control. If anything deeper pockets probably allowed it to last a little longer.

BU Fan in Illinois likes this.