Sean McDermott - 2015 Shooting Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    [​IMG]

bwesson15 and knobcreekfan like this.
  2. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Active Member

Money:
    $212
    I have to question your reading comprehension after a statement like that.

3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,102
    I didn't blast Sean. I love his effort. I said "some" of his minutes, it's not like I said he should be permanently benched. It's obvious we need a spark on the road. I made my comment while I was watching the recording of the game last night.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    I understand. I to think David should get more minutes as well as Brunk.
    Yep I'm wildly speculating because it is true I have no idea how Fowler could be that much better than Brunk. There must be some reason Brunk doesn't play particularly if you really watch Fowler.

5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    I understand. I to wish David would play more. There is an article on Sean McDermott in the most recent Indianapolis Business Journal worth reading.

harvesting likes this.
  6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,099
    Much of this will be in response to points made in the game thread so I will apologize in advance. If CD were to take some of McD's minutes it would not be based on production. If BU continues a downward spiral in which we would agree takes us out of contention for the big dance, then by all means LJ should look to the build for the future. So far that is not the situation. Back to yesterday other than Wideman, one could argue AT was one the better BU players, simply because he did not shoot and waste opportunities other than passing to open teammates that couldn't buy a basket. McD's shooting eye has yet to return after the ankle injury but he has still find ways to make contributions. HB's shooting has been astounding but eventually like water it will reach it's level. I would caution against holding our breath until "the next big thing" (JT) arrives. We may end up sadly disappointed. One player does not make or break a team. Granted Providence may not be a great team but they are pretty decent, well coached and physical as hell, yet as poorly as BU played overall yesterday, the team still had an chance to pull out a win on the road. Lastly, AC's strength last year was being doubled and finding the open man. KM has that ability but as of yet not the will. Sorry for the ramblings.

7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    Fowler doesn't have to be that much better than Brunk to get PT. I've said on several occasions that I think Brunk could be starting next year. The coaching staff is just more comfortable right now with Fowler on the floor, and outside of wanting him to be more confident/aggressive on offense, I really don't have anything to complain about. If you wanted to advocate for more minutes for Wideman, then I'd probably agree with you, but the most minutes he averaged in conference play was when he was a Sophomore, and he was playing less than 4 minutes more than he is now, so the question I'd have is how much more could he reasonably give?

As for why Fowler plays more than Brunk. He's shot at a higher rate than Brunk, he doesn't turn it over as much and the team's already a good rebounding team. Less importantly, but he also blocks shots at a much higher rate. Does Fowler make passive, awkward looking plays most nights? Yeah, but overall he's solid piece, and he knows where he's supposed to be on the floor.

bwesson15 likes this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,160
    Just my opinion.....

CD should be taking some of Kelan's minutes.

Baldwin should be taking some of AT's minutes.

McD should be on the floor at least 20+ minutes each game.

PJ should lose minutes if he can't drive more often & draw fouls instead of taking 25+ foot shots and missing 75% of them.

Fowler & Brunk should split 20 minutes with the balance depending on who is playing better that very night.

9. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,635
    I agree that Fowler and Brunk should be splitting minutes. But not by cutting into Wideman's minutes. Against some bigs (Delgado), Wideman is at a disadvantage. But he doesn't play small in the post against most other 5s. If nothing else, let's try two bigs for a little bit and see what happens. Then when one big chases beyond the 3 point line, there is another big in the paint to help.

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,102
  11. seadawg

Money:
    $3,099
    I don't think anyone did unless one was close to the situation.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    I knew this way back when he nearly died. I think it's remarkable how far McD has come. He's a outstanding young man who oozes Butler and The Butler Way. I remember how many on here( maybe some still do) hoped that he would transfer or be cut because he was not a high major talent. As you can sense from my prior posts he's my favorite player. Anyone that survives from what he had to deal with and then see his mother struggle will never be criticized by me.

#60, OldSchoolDawg1983 and ButlerNut like this.
  13. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,635
    Insane and I may not agree on everything, but I find it hard to criticize someone who exemplifies the Butler Way as well.

14. seadawg

Money:
    $3,099
    Considering all that McD has endured I'm pretty sure he is more than tough enough to withstand some constructive criticism concerning BU basketball.

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    Not sure what constructive criticism is.

16. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,509
    But it's OK for you to criticize Fowler repeatedly because he hasn't had any public health struggles?

UDDawg and Alcohol101 like this.
  17. seadawg

Money:
    $3,099
    All the players are subject to criticism, as are the coaches, administrators, students, the band, and even other board members, whether we agree with it or not. Personal attacks are another matter.

the_speakers_lab likes this.
  18. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $786
    How many of you ever played or actually coached a game at any level? Probably not many of you!

WestLoopDog likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,697
    A broken foot or whatever it was that continues to hold Fowler back is a long long way from a near death experience plus seeing your mother struggle with a potentially terminal cancer.

20. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $281
    I once hit a buzzer beater three in a grade school intramural league game. I believe that makes me more than qualified to analyze the game and criticize coaching decisions.