Sean McDermott - 2015 Shooting Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 6, 2011.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,683
    I did.

And I’ve made this point before, but I’ll make it again:

Okay: “Sean needs to be in better position on that rebound next time”

Not Okay: “Omg Sean sucks and should never play again and he should never get off the bench Bc he’s the worst player ever!!!”

bwesson15, #60, DawgsMD and 5 others like this.
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,635
    You get up earlier than me apparently. Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    [​IMG]

Shimmy likes this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,683
    I live on the east coast, which helps, and I get up at 530am to catch the 630 train into NYC. So much for that BTO “8:15 into the city”. People do push and shove, however!

ButlerNut likes this.
  5. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,509
    I'm not equating the two. You are one of the biggest Fowler haters on here... it is weird to me that you say you won't criticize a certain player because of his/his families prior health issues (which have nothing to do with how he plays on the court), but have no problem bashing another guy when he has a bad game.

UDDawg likes this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    I'm not a Fowler hater. Don't know the kid. Probably a top notch student and friend to many. I just think Fowler has not shown aggressiveness, satisfactory court awareness nor the ability to make a difference in the Big East. Its not that he has a bad game. It's that it's rare he has a good game or one that adds to a win. I don't criticize shots, turnovers or missed dunks but I will criticize lackadaisical effort or not getting after it. Drive, effort, desire, competitiveness, awareness, toughness, improvement and hustle are everything to me and are the things I admire most in McD. To me McD is driven perhaps because he has had a second chance. Perhaps Fowler has those attributes in spades and is driven. . I just get frustrated when I fail to see him using aggressiveness, getting blocked by guards and making the same mistakes over and over. The frustration is on me I guess not Nate. Sorry that I have been negative on your favorite player.

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,099
    We all get frustrated from time to time with players but if I said what I was thinking in the moment most on here would be ready to lynch me.

Insane Dawg and bwesson15 like this.
  8. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,746
    Coming out of high school, I think a majority preferred Ryan Cline to McDermott. Three years later. I’m thinking the Dawgs got the better of the two.

HoosierDawg and znelson15 like this.
  9. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $522
    Both are good players. I think both teams wouldn’t trade their players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  10. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,307
    Shawn MckDermittt is such an important player for Butler. Purdue would be out of their minds if they didn't want to swap the two, straight up.

harvesting and seadawg like this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    I’m curious as to what the actual logic is here besides recency and homer bias?

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $4,746
    Cline: 4.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1.8 apg
    McDermott: 7.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.1 apg

I feel like McDermott is becoming a better all-around player, despite having one less year of on-court experience.

bwesson15, BHayden and Dewars12 like this.
  13. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Member

Money:
    $157
    Sean is so disciplined in taking only really good shots with his feet set and on balance. But just a few times this year he's also shown the ability to hit shots while moving laterally or falling away. My hope is we see a lot more of that same kind of freedom in his game when he's forced to shoulder more scoring load next year.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

Dewars12 likes this.
  14. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,939
    If Sean doesn’t make that tip in against Georgetown, we probably don’t make the tournament. So yeah, pretty sure I’ll take his contributions this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,697
    David Woods said Sean is shooting 46% from three over the last ten games.

16. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    Seeing as this has been the only season McD has made an impact...
    Question: would our team 2 seasons ago be better w/ Cline? Would Gathers have been taken or do we roll w Rosie & Lewis at PG? Would we have taken (or not taken at all) a different GT?
    Question: would last season’s team be better w/ Cline? Do we take a SG GT, who ended up being Woodson, or would we have taken (or not taken at all) a different GT?

17. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $320
    Answer: It doesn't matter. Cline is nice for Purdue, would have been nice for Butler, but, the path that was taken in his absence worked out ok. I'm going to grow some beets...

18. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Active Member

Money:
    $212

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  19. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $320
    You've had more to drink than anyone in the tri-state area; proceed carefully!

20. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $4,746
    I guess I’m just failing to see how it’s controversial. McDermott is more versatile and having a better season statistically as a (RS) sophomore, than Cline is as a junior.

I wasn’t insinuating Cline isn’t any good. But he’s pretty much averaged 3-5 ppg each of his 3 seasons at Purdue, which to me says he kind of is what he is. McD keeps progressing and appears to be a more valuable player this year, with a higher ceiling going forward - and with more years of eligibility left.

I’m sure Purdue fans wouldn’t trade Cline for McD, and I wouldn’t expect them to. Just pointing out that although most preferred Cline at the time, it’s worked out pretty well for Butler.