Sean McDermott - 2015 Shooting Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by Jared Grubbs, Aug 6, 2011.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    Opportunity cost should still has to be accounted for. Citing per game stats blindly doesn’t tell the whole story of their two situations this season. I think McD and Cline are basically the player same except McD is a better rebounder. However I don’t think it really can be compared until after their careers, but that’s not the way the hot take world exists

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    peeps112 likes this.
  2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,798
    The only area I give Cline a distinct advantage is 1 on 1 defense. Other than that its either even or a wash or McD In front

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,905
    Didn’t Cline get high and pass out in his car or something?

I know he’s not a bad kid, but McD hasn’t had any issues, and you have to give that a bit of weight.

4. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $567
    Sean was fantastic at the end of the year. Credit to him for working hard. His shot last year was not good and now his stroke is money. And he still has his timely put backs. Just need him to put on some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  5. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,303
  6. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $703
    Sean added quite a bit of ink this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,081
    indienapolis and godogs91 like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Wish I could read it

9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,968
    Copy the entire thing and post on the board.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  10. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,679
    If you download the app you get 3 free articles a month. Choose wisely.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

Mad_Dawg 48 likes this.
  11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    According to an Indy Star sports article of 2,249 college basketball players Sean is the second most efficient offensive player at 148.6 just behind Darius Day at LSU 149.5.

ButlerNut, BulldogsFTW, bumba and 4 others like this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    Sean is now the most efficient offensive player. Just wished he’d put up more shots

harvesting likes this.
  13. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    People laughed at me in the Baldwin thread when I said opponents are keying in on stopping McD first. His inability to get up more shots lends credence to this viewpoint.

14. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,903
    Sean is more easily erased, much like Kellen was, because he can only score at one level (3PT range) with the ball in his hands. That does not mean he is the focal point of opponents defense. When we see a Big East team deploy their best defender on Sean, rather than someone who can just chase him around the perimeter, your point would carry weight.

dawgs2014 and Tentozen like this.
  15. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $296
    It’s funny you say that since last game he hit 2 3’s, one pull up jumper and a back cut to the basket. I’d say they are coached to guard them both pretty heavily. Why is this even a dispute?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,903
    It’s obvious that you have a personal connection to Sean, and I respect that. I’m not attacking or disparaging Sean. He’s an amazing player and key reason for Butler’s success this season. Him simply being on the court makes Butler’s entire offense so dynamic because of the space it creates for others.

With that said, this is a debate because thenforcer made a comment in the post about Kamar & LaVall that Sean was the focal point of our opponents’ scouting reports and not Kamar. And the point was implying that either Kamar is taking or being allowed too much usage. I disagreed (still do) with that take. The point was continued here and I wanted to respond.

Sean’s super high efficiency is a product of two things. One, he’s been crazy good at scoring this year, but equally impactful is his inability to get more shots up. Again, this goes back to my point that he is more easily erased in a coaches’ game plan. The scout on Sean? “ Don’t leave him”. That’s really it. Again that’s not to disparage Sean. But if we were able to simply give Sean the ball and ask him to double his usage we would see his efficiency numbers decline, that’s just math. If we didn’t see the numbers decline, Sean would be a lottery pick.

The scout on Kamar is undoubtedly more complex than just preventing him from catching the ball open on the perimeter, and that is all i was saying.

Sean scoring on a back cut, or a pump fake three, one dribble pull up are both great plays when your defender is overplaying. As I noted, Sean’s defender is almost always overplaying so he does not get more 3PAs. That does not equate to Sean being able to score on all three levels like Kamar.

estar20dawg and UDDawg like this.
  17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    Well over the past three games only one of those two has scored at all three levels. And that player moved up to the number one offensively efficient college player out of over 2000 players.

knobcreekfan and harvesting like this.
  18. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,903
    You don't know what scoring at all three levels means. You have to have the ball. Again, if we could give Sean the ball and ask him to simply create more shots for himself, we would do that. We can't.

19. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,098
    As I read these two posts, I think the disconnect is scoring at all three levels vs getting one's own shot at all three levels. I went and looked at hoop-math.com this morning in search of a little clarity on the subject. What I found, after adding some formulas of my own, were these comparisons:

Shots at Rim
    Baldwin: 37 attempts (21.6% of total), 21 made (29.6% of total), 56.8% made, 6 assisted (28.6%)
    McDermott: 21 attempts (23.6% of total), 16 made (32.7% of total), 76.2% made, 11 assisted (68.8%)

2-pt shots
    Baldwin: 81 attempts (47.4% of total), 32 made (45.1% of total), 39.5% made, 3 assisted (9.4%)
    McDermott: 7 attempts (7.9% of total), 4 made (8.2% of total), 57.1% made, 1 assisted (25%)

3-pt shots
    Baldwin: 53 attempts (31.0% of total), 18 made (25.4% of total), 34.0% made, 13 assisted (72.2%)
    McDermott: 61 attempts (68.5% of total), 29 made (59.2% of total), 47.5% made, 27 assisted (93.1%)

Total
    Baldwin: 171 attempts, 71 made, 41.5% made, 22 assisted (31.0%)
    McDermott: 89 attempts, 49 made, 55.1% made, 39 assisted (79.6%)

Takeaways: Not a huge surprise probably to many, but the big difference in Baldwin and McDermott's games are the 2-pt shots not at the rim. Baldwin has taken almost as many shots there as McDermott has taken in total. Additionally, Baldwin has only 31% of his made shots assisted, while Sean has almost 80%. That tells me Baldwin is creating his own shot much more, either out of necessity or within the framework of the offense, while McDermott is getting his more in catch-and-shoot or layup situations. I think a lot of that also has to do with the way the offense is designed, but it also has somewhat to do with the fact that Sean either isn't willing or comfortable putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot, or it could be he has been told not to by the staff.

MIBulldog likes this.
  20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,916
    Read my first sentence. Let’s not end the year being abrasive.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019