Seniors Coming Back

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BU Fan in Illinois, Mar 25, 2021.

1. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Active Member

Money:
    $211
    Always woke!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    D1 avg is 33.8%. I’m sorry that you’re bothered by me suggesting that merely above average should be considered “reasonably well.”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    Volume matters a lot in making a determination. 35% at a super high volume is outstanding. I agree 35% at David’s tiny volume is just OK. Anything over 33% shouldn’t ever be considered bad though, regardless of volume - it’s as good as 50% from 2, which is just fine.

Rotnei shooting 40% in 2013 was otherworldly considering the number of attempts.

4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    If we’re looking to project someone’s future success on more volume, yes, but if we’re looking to judge his performance, no.

We’re simply looking to judge how he did on the shots that’s he shot. He objectively shot those at a better clip than average. I don’t understand that hesitation with saying doing better than average performing reasonably well.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    That’s true. Fair enough re evaluating those specific shots. I’m speaking in terms of “how good of a shooter are they, really?”, which admittedly is a different question.

6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    Yeah I don’t think we can count on him to be a “strong” shooter- but I was only evaluating how he performed on the shots he did take, which was reasonably well.

I don’t think he’s a great shooter nor do I have any resin to think 35% is indicative of what he’d do at 4-5 attempts per game, and that’s why I have him with so few minutes.

7. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,490
    I said his overall FG % was 35%, which is terrible, and he has been in his 30’s for his career.
    His 3pt. % per year has been 19, 23, 26 and this year 21, except one game where he went 3-4, which brought him up to a respectable 33%, but that one game sure looks like an outlier to me, based on the rest of his career.

BoyGeoff and willisbrown like this.
  8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    It doesn’t matter what it looks like to you or me, or anyone, he still took and made those shots.

9. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $569
    David is not a good offensive player.

SnoopDawg and willisbrown like this.
  10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    Bingo. Never has been and surely that's not going to change. Situational defense, assignments, some rebounding-when healthy he can help some. But he's a liability on the other end. Too much for me to give him many minutes if any this coming year.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  11. HinkleMagic20

HinkleMagic20 Member

Money:
    $96
    Old enough to remember the heated "he just needs more shots" argument to be good offensively.

David has value, but (if fully healthy) it's as a mobile energy backup 4--with limited offensive game.

mwall787, Tentozen and willisbrown like this.
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
    Good thing we’re all listening to each other

RPEye likes this.
  13. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,049
    Just like Golden who had that 6-7 game. He sucked otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,412
  15. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,469
    I think Coles starts by the time the conference games roll around, possibly earlier.

NOTE: I'm going to edit this a couple hours later to say I'd completely forgotten that Scooby will be competing for at least some of the same minutes.

So... to reconsider: will Coles be starting by the Big East season? Maybe not, but the guy really has good stuff, I think. Of everyone on the team I'm most excited to see him play again. Also Tate (if he's not red-shirted).

(OK, this note has gotten pretty long!)

Wow. That's got me thinking... I personally really like those two, and when you thrown in Harris and what he has already demonstrated; then the solid play with potential for a lot more from Wilmoth; and then what we all hope we see from Scooby, that could really be one hell of a class. I mean-- even more than what was expected, which was a lot.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    BoyGeoff likes this.
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    I wouldn't be surprised (predicted it last year before he got hurt) if Coles does jump Golden. He's more skilled for sure. At the same time though Golden has two years of big east experience and has a couple inches on Coles. I'm just praying for health because a 3 man "big" rotation of Nze, Golden and Coles should be solid to very good. Our wing spot is covered...as many teams in college now our success will come down to guard play. AT and Harris is a good start there.

cornette33 and BURph92 like this.
  17. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,142
    Yep, I think “just praying for health” is the key. AT, Nze, Golden, & Hodges all played at times this past season when they weren’t 100% and they struggled. Those 4 guys completely healthy plus Harris is a pretty solid starting 5. You throw in a healthy Coles, a healthy Scooby, Bolden, Wilmoth, David, & the 3 freshmen to the mix and I’m feeling pretty good heading into next season. Again, gotta stay healthy.

18. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
    I agree that we need to stay healthy but I am still concerned about our outside shooting. If we think that Thomas and Taylor might possibly redshirt, then it would seem that we need a transfer who can be a consistent threat from outside. It would be great to see AT have the option of kicking out to Harris and another shooter who who can knock down the three.

cornette33 and BoyGeoff like this.
  19. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $177
    I think you're right, and I believe the general consensus here is that one way or another, Butler is going to acquire a shooter. They have (three?) spots that they can fill, so there's really no excuse not to find at least one outside threat. But let's say they don't find one, then Butler will likely consider the prospect of throwing out there Scooby, Thomas or Taylor to try and provide them with that other weapon from the outside.

It's nice to have a deep roster for a change. :)

20. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,802
    Is Avery Woodson, Jr. available?