Seniors Coming Back

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BU Fan in Illinois, Mar 25, 2021.

1. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,501
    I know this is likely an opinion that is not popular but would AT be better coming off the bench? I know the answer is likely no but I just feel they will roll out the same group that could not score. Put Harris at PG and get a transfer SG

Or... starting at the Small Forward spot will it be Bo or is there anyone currently on the team that could make a run at that starting spot?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    znelson15 and bumba like this.
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    If Tate hadn't hurt his knee, then yes I would agree with you. Now I think AT & Chuck are the backcourt. Bolden & Bo play the 3. Then Scooby, JaKobe, Nze & Golden are the 4 & 5.

znelson15 and cornette33 like this.
  3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    I think/hope we see a fair amount of Bo at the 2 so we can play bigger, as well, even if we aren't necessarily big at the 5, we could be very good, physical and versatile defensively. Coles and Nze can also space the floor on the offensive end.

A fair amount of AT, Bo, Scoob, Coles and Nze, I would hope, would be highly effective on both ends.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33 likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,311
    I think it'll be an "open" competition but I also think, Lord willing health, the starting 5 is pretty easy to peg. What will be interesting is in the times AT is out how Harris runs the offense at the 1. I think Bo would really, really have to mess things up not to start. Without knowing who/if transfers in of course. Still his skill set is too much to not start.

cornette33 likes this.
  5. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
    I think AT and Bo could be a very good defensive tandem for the top two guards/wings on the the opposing teams. If they could limit drives to the basket, then the others would not have to help out as much leaving open shooters on the perimeter.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    Every team could use an Avery Woodson.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

jarik, #60 and cornette33 like this.
  7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,999
    One hundred percent agree

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

#60 and cornette33 like this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,065
    With the number of players on the roster, I’m pretty sure Butler should just foul the other team’s worst FT shooter every trip down the court. We’ll have like 100 fouls per game to give... might as well use them!

ThirdRowDawg, MSUDawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  9. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $616
    Nichols School (Christian Laetner went there) did that to Park School in 2015 to keep the ball out of Jordan Nwora's hands) Nichols with a really deep bench kept fouling Joe Jones III (Greg Oden's brother). Nichols had 23 fouls in the 1st half

10. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $177
    The next weapon in advanced analytics - It's coming I can feel it.;)

11. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,670
    Thinking about this year's seniors coming back next season, I started wondering what would have happened if the NCAA had the "season-doesn't-count" rule in effect last season and some or all of our seniors had returned for this season. Kamar and Sean would be the main two, of course, but Baddley and Smits also would have been eligible to return. (Tucker could have returned, too, but he could have come back even without the rule change and he chose not to.)

We certainly would have had a better record this season and may well have made a deep tournament run. But Harris almost certainly wouldn't have blossomed as he did (or would he, only as a more complementary player?), and Tate and the rest of the freshmen wouldn't have gotten nearly the playing time that they did. For that matter, Tate likely would not have gotten his injury, as he probably wouldn't have been playing at the time he got injured.

In short, we would have had a much more successful campaign in 20-21, perhaps even including a Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run. Or maybe more. Remember, that team lost by one to Baylor at Baylor last season.

On the other hand, our returning players for next season wouldn't have gotten nearly the experience they did this year, and next year likely would have looked a lot like this season actually did. And we also probably wouldn't have gotten Bolden.

What are your thoughts? Would you rather have had our seniors back and had a better season this past year but with a very inexperienced team next year, or would you prefer to have that rebuilding year behind us and be looking forward to some improvement in 2021-22?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    2xDawg likes this.
  12. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,110
    I'd be surprised if given the option that McDermott or Baldwin came back, but if they somehow did, give the young guys a tournament to experience for the future instead of the rebuilding year. Of course, given Baldwin's walking wounded status in the past and the lack of a preseason, somehow they would have gotten hurt too.

Glad things have worked out the way they have and the Seniors are coming back this year.

2xDawg and Albick like this.
  13. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,670
    With Kamar, I wonder whether he might have been able to get some attention and possibly get picked in the second round of the NBA draft with a good performance in the tournament this year. Perhaps with the volume of information and "tape" available now on each player it's not possible to improve draft position much with a good showing in the tournament. I may be wrong, but I think a lot of people believe Gordon certainly improved his draft stock with his play in the 2010 tournament.

2xDawg likes this.
  14. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,804
    Even as recently as DeVincenzo for Nova in 2018. He had a great NCAA tourney, and ended up going in the 1st round. So your absolutely right that a strong run could have helped Kamar out.

znelson15 and Albick like this.
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    I think Kamar’s problem was that he was a 5’11 shooting guard that shot 33% from 3. I think Kamar was one of the few guys whose stock actually dropped the more tape we got on him because it showed very clearly, he’s not a point guard.

That’s not to say he didn’t get dramatically better at reading the defense and passing-he did. I thought he was actually quite good at ball placement on passes, he just didn’t see the passes with anywhere near the consistency he would need to in order to play in the NBA at his size.

Would I be shocked to see Kamar play NBA minutes at some point in his career? Absolutely not. If his 3 point shot gets better, he becomes a truly viable option out there because he’s not outclassed by that level of athlete.

He’s a special dude between the ears, but he’s about 4 inches too short to make it with his skillset.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    Right. If he’s either 4 inches taller OR a 40% 3 point shooter, he’s making it in the NBA. If both, he’d be a may contract player.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

Tentozen likes this.
  17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    I think you’re spot on with your variables. It’s just really really hard to be the shortest player on the court and not be a lead guard. Carsen Edwards is really the only guy I can think of that fits that category. Do I think that Carsen Edwards is a *significantly* more talented player than Kamar? No. In fact Edwards only shot 36% on 3’s his last, but he shot twice as many as Kamar.

From that we see how razor thin the margins are for guys their size. It’s being able to maintain the same efficiency taking 5 more threes a game and draw a couple more fouls (likely partially a function of quickness). That’s it. I think I’d take Kamar at every other aspect of the game, but it’s still not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops