Seton Hall (13-9, 10-6) at Butler (7-13, 6-11), Wednesday, 2/24, 7:00 PM EST (CBSSN)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 21, 2021.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,130
    How could you forget the Thom Brennaman mid apology for using a homophobic slur to announce a home run?!? True professionalism

2. Geoffrey Bannister

Geoffrey Bannister Member

Money:
    $85
    Cause he let that guy run past him? Seemed excessive

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,467
    I thought it looked like that might be it, too. Wilmoth should have just backed off entirely but still, he didn't actually defend the guy, he just ran back next to him.

ButlerNut and AZRPh like this.
  4. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,473
    He was last night.

2xDawg and ButlerNut like this.
  5. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,473
    And yet they won by double figures.

2xDawg, BNiche and godogs91 like this.
  6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,905
    Careful. That meaningless Hall 3 at the buzzer made it 9 officially :)

2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,083
    Not that it meant that much, but the last 3 that Reynolds hit cut the final deficit to 9.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,473
    But Dawgs 2014 said he has no mid range game.

willisbrown, estar20dawg and DawgsMD like this.
  9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,083
    Defense is up to the 70's in efficiency. While the offense has been and still is atrocious, I think with some exceptions (Bolden seems to always be out of position), the defense is more consistent, though Xavier and Seton Hall bricking a bunch of 3's helps with that.

Harris is currently the only Bulldog (that has any regular offensive usage) with an individual offensive efficiency over 100. The fact they've somehow been able to win 7 Big East games considering they are closer to dead last in the league than 9th in offensive efficiency is actually pretty impressive and shows how weird this season has been.

10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,202
    What are you talking about? I didn’t say anything like that??

11. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,517
    When Hall hit that meaningless 3 at the end, there was still about 1 second on the clock. Clock operator let it keep running and the game ended. Very happy about that. But I was half expecting O’Connell to spend 45 minutes reviewing tape to put .8 back on in a 9 point game.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy, PSUButlerFan and bmradio99 like this.
  12. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,473
    He even used the zone with Bolden on top which really surprised me, but it seemed to throw them off.

bmradio99 likes this.
  13. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,473
    You said that and a lot of negative things about him yesterday, as I recall. Just tired of all the negativity about this team in what has been a weird year with tons of injuries, COVID, etc. And I know you are more positive than most on this board, but saying Harris should just be a 6th man rubbed me the wrong way. He has surpassed my expectations in a big way. And as I think about it you may be right, not his mid range game, but unable to finish or drive by anyone, which he did last night.

2xDawg and estar20dawg like this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,324
    Am I the only one who apparently viewed Harris' game completely wrong before the season? For some reason, I was thinking he was more of a PG who created for others, not a great scorer, and would get on the court because of his defense.
    Instead, he's more SG, than PG. He is shooting nearly 40% from 3. And he's the leading scorer on the team. The dude is tough as nails, and even as a freshmen, he seems to be the one on the team that doesn't get phased by big moments.

znelson15, troggy, bwesson15 and 10 others like this.
  15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,988
    No you're not the only one, I completely agree. Couldn't tell you why I thought that, either. He and Tate have completely flipped my assumptions of them coming into the season. I thought Tate was more of a scoring guard.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    bwesson15, Shimmy, mwall787 and 5 others like this.
  16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    I said nothing “negative”, and I certainly didn’t say he had no midrange (though that would be a statistically justified take-I think it’s best to reserve judgement on freshmen for shooting).

What I said was that he’s athletically limited, and, yes, that I think ideally he’d be a sixth man. I also said that I think he’d be one of the best sixth guys in the country and he’s a really nice player who I expected to score 12-1500 points.

I don’t see a lot of realistic ways in which he can make a large leap since he’s already shooting so well. His most obvious area that he’s capable of improving is shooting off the dribble. That skill, however, is far more valuable as a late game shot maker than throughout the duration of a game.

The reality of the situation though is that he’s struggled quite a bit on defense. A lot of that can actually improve since the primary culprit is that he really struggles to not get screened, but he also isn’t great in stop to start acceleration. At least prior to last night he had the worst +/- on the team. Watch him on drives, he *extremely* frequently is beat to the spot that he’s going to by his defender; most guys don’t substantially improve their quickness as they gain size. Therefore he can’t get to the paint to use his floater or any other of his moves, even if he has a robust arsenal of moves around the rim

Even if his mid range is good, those aren’t desirable or efficient shots, unless you need one basket at the end of a game. If he’s a 50% midrange guy (very, very good)-it still is usually a bad shot bc he seems to be significantly better than 33% from 3.

I don’t think that it’s ripping a guy to suggest a guy who is athletically limited and smaller than a lot of guys he’ll be playing against would ideally come off the bench.

We have 3-4 more years of Chuck. That’s a lot of time, and a lot of things can change. I’d love for him to become a star. He’s really impressed me and far surpassed my expectations for him. I think he’s going to have a really nice career, that looks a lot like the player he is now.

joliebeth23 and 2xDawg like this.
  17. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,834
    I love how he's calling you out but not calling out the poster who said this might be the worst Butler team ever...you know, the one that has 7 BIG EAST wins.

If this is as bad as Butler basketball will ever get, then the program is in a good spot.

troggy, DawgsMD and 2xDawg like this.
  18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    I mean I said I thought the guy was going to score 12-1500 points. There’s plenty of negativity around here recently, I just find it hard to believe my comments would be the ones that really get to you.

2xDawg and butlerguy03 like this.
  19. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,091
    My favorite part of last night's game was Tater Tot out there like Scrappy Doo. He was by far the smallest dude on the court and if you go back and watch (or if you saw it live) he was playing raw and with an edge last night. Yes, his shooting is leaving plenty to be desired (that will come) but he's fearless to the rim and he was mixing it up all night with bigger Seton Hall dudes. That's what we need. That's the mindset. Hell I saw him (refs missed it) one arm push a dude in the back after a little scrum. Not to mention when he was thrown over in a scrum by some oger and he held on even tighter.

The little mistakes will be less and less and the shooting will come as I said, but the intensity and toughness he plays with? I love seeing that.

znelson15, bwesson15, tedfrye and 6 others like this.
  20. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,473
    If you’re talking about me, I responded to his comment about the worst team ever by asking how they won against a good team by double figures. And yes, I know it was 9 points because of a meaningless 3 with 1 second to go.