Seton Hall Pirates (9-6, 6-3) at Butler Bulldogs (5-7, 4-5), Friday, 1/22, 9:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 20, 2021.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,813
    You called it.

2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,101
    willisbrown and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,195
    It’s actually not meaningless. While it can and does happen, it is extremely rare, especially within a few months of recovery. Within 6 months, there were only 2 reinfections out of 12k health care workers (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034545).

This is subject to change as the virus evolves but currently reinfection is a negligible phenomenon that is disproportionately in the headlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Dawgedd

Money:
    $2,195
    Really sucks for the team. I think this could have been prevented.

What probably happened: tier 1 tests positive with rapid test that the team is getting 3+ times a week. Only 1 positive and no known contact or symptoms so suspicion is false +. So they do a pcr test which takes a couple days to turnaround and have to cancel in the interim.

What they should have done (and presumably they have access to) is to immediately repeat the rapid 15 minute test and they would have gotten a much quicker answer.

jarik, UDDawg and willisbrown like this.
  5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,702
    As the other thread shows, questioning their process is not allowed. Shame on you.

ButlerNut, jkcdawgs and willisbrown like this.
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,307
    Bingo. I'm not sure why teams don't do this when a positive pops up...especially knowing they have access to it. Call me silly but I'm under the mindset of if one guy/coach gets it...others will have it because of so much time spent together and the physical nature of the sport which they play...so if only one person tested positive, the rest negative, it screams to me false positive. Pulling the quick trigger to postpone a game and activities for only one test? Seems odd to me. Purdue just had a dude test positive, one, followed procedure and still played last night.

7. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,834
    You mean to tell me that different schools have different policies?

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,847
    Would think protocol after a rapid test is the PCR, so you just have to wait it out.

NCJon likes this.
  9. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $232

So which test would you have believed? The positive rapid test or the negative rapid test?
    The fact remains; you have a positive test. Your choice to believe a negative test does not erase the positive test.

If you got food poisoning from the taco cart would you keep going back? I would get tacos from Qdoba instead, even if it took longer.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  10. Dawgedd

Money:
    $2,195
    Let me clarify: I would run 2 consecutive tests—that combined with no other positives and no known contacts would be enough IMO. And this would take 30-45 minutes.

False positives are expected when running so many tests and along with contact tracing and other epi data can be used.

Even the follow up pcr is not perfect and has occasional (although fewer) false positive—so a single follow up is not that much different than a single follow up rapid test.

willisbrown and UDDawg like this.
  11. Dawgedd

Money:
    $2,195
    Yes, I’m sure this is the case. But running 2 more rapid tests is likely more accurate than a single pcr test (which does have false positive too—no test is perfect).

And I’m not blaming Butler. I’m sure, like you said, that this is protocol, likely from the BE. But IMO it would be more practical and as scientifically justified to do 2 follow up rapid tests when: there is a single positive test, no symptoms, and no know contacts.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  12. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $480
    I don’t claim to know much on specifics but maybe the false + has to be sit a few days even if he retakes the rapid test and it comes back negative.

Difference is Purdue actually has access to 11 or so scholarship players healthy. You take one guy away from Butler right now and you have 7 scholarship players available. Many variables come into play.

I will say I was bummed as I had tickets to last nights game as I try to get out once a week to keep my sanity and was planning on enjoying the evening with my adult son and daughter at the game. It’s been a tradition since circa 2005 for us. Plan on getting to 1 or 2 more games this year as I have been to the two non-conference games in person.

Was looking forward to see in person our teams’ progression since Southern Illinois game.

BUcheer and the_speakers_lab like this.
  13. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,106
    I am shocked BU does not have that dedicated practice facility and Citation. I mean for as smart and perfect as several on this board are, you have to have billions to be donating to the basketball program.

Staxawax likes this.
  14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,145
    As disappointing as this is, one would agree a false positive is preferable to a false negative. Costs of various test could also be a factor?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  15. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,492
    I can't speak to what happened in the Butler situation, but here's the explanation as to what happened to allow Purdue to play its game against Michigan: https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...game-purdue-they-were-transparent/6685893002/

Incidentally, the story also notes that all Michigan athletic activities have been shut down by Michigan's state health department for at least two weeks.

GO_DAWGS! likes this.