Shaka Smart

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by wazthree, Mar 18, 2019.

1. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    if/when Shaka is fired from Texas....any chance Butler would try to get him?

I think he would be the perfect fit for Butler.

tedfrye likes this.
  2. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,285
    No thanks... Didn't work at Texas, why would it work here and they have everything you could ever want for a program and failed.

3. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    I think Shaka would do better at a smaller major program. He would be able to get a good mix of 4 and 3 stars to buy into his system. I think when you are dealing with Texas expectations and 5 star players it can be a tougher job for some coaches.

Tentozen likes this.
  4. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $157
    UT might be a little bit harder to get the types of players he wants admitted, and he might have the same issue at Butler.

He won’t be unemployed for long. Heard some rumors that UCLA might be interested, and UNLV just opened up (I think he’d kill it in Vegas, UCLA doesn’t have him in their top five, the speculation is that’s he’s bunched among others as fallbacks).

I like the style of play, but I’d be very surprised if he ended up at Butler.

5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,359
    We do not have a coaching opening, let's end such foolish speculation.

NCJon, bwesson15, pappyball and 6 others like this.
  6. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,427
    knobcreekfan likes this.
  7. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    I'd consider Shaka in a year's time, but I think Jordan deserves at least another year regardless.

If we have another Big East basement season, the I think it's fair to consider proven coaches like Matta, Alford, Smart, etc. if they're still out there.

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,545
    The problem is they won't be. We'll have to hope there is some gettable talent because unless there are a couple loud and leader types added with talent, we're going to see much of the same next season. Same coach, same staff, same players, same bad results.

dippper61 likes this.
  9. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $518
    With what $$$?

10. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $454
    As SpartanDawgs implied in his post, I think that with Butler's basketball budget it is highly unlikely that they would be able to bring in a Matta, Alford or Smart. Considering that we have not yet seen what Nze, Hastings or Battle might be able to bring to next year's team; I think that it is a little early to speculate on what type of team Butler is going to have next season.

Daddysmack and SpartanDawgs like this.
  11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,515
    Speculation on the coach and wishing and hoping is understandable and okay. Basically it is the off season, sadly much too early. Still, Jordan is going nowhere next year. Adding Battle and Hastings and Nze (and probably redshirting Mulloy) is all good. (Wouldn't we have liked to have those kind of players back when we were not subject to the un-Butler-like embarrassments of late?) But unless there is some dramatic new direction/approach/philosophy/scheme/game plan from the head coach, I have no doubt it's going to be another frustrating season next year. Even with the additions this is still not "just roll the ball out and win" talent, which Butler will never possess. Need coaching and direction. Two years under Jordan his teams have grossly underachieved with the rosters that he had to work with. IMO, immediate improvement rests more on the coach than on the additions to the roster (although both will help). Also, we still do not know if there will be roster fallout (as Hinkle as hinted) from this past season. Needs attention, because a lot of the B.U. "charm" is noticeably fading, in case you haven't noticed. P.S. Smart or Alford? No way.

Tentozen and dippper61 like this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $5,545
    I listened to a podcast from 97.5 with Barry yesterday...he talked in circles and spoke mostly empty. But did push back strongly (the only time) when Lavall's job performance and job safety came up. So, as we know he's going nowhere. He'll be our coach for better or worse, so I suppose the only thing we can hope for is an infusion of talent and that talent can take over and keep us competitive next season. I still stand by two defections and two additions to try and help give this program some competitive pop. But the staff looks to remain in tact so we'll see the same song and dance from them. How much direction that will bring who knows. It surely hasn't been there for the past two seasons.

I would agree our "charm" or "stock" isn't what it was and is selling off quickly. We need a rebound season in the worst way.

13. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,359
    The next seven months will be key to future of Butler. A lot of work has to be done, it will be interesting to see how recruiting goes over the off season. There needs to be some home runs.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $5,545
    It feels very desperate. And I hope that feeling is shared by the admin.

15. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $846
    At the very least, maybe an upgrade in the assistant coaching staff is due.