So that's Louisville's secret to recruiting

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by NCJon, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I'm certainly not condoning it. it's particularly disgusting if fathers/guardians also participated. If the board of trustees are meeting to take action then good for them and the university if Pitino is let go before the NCAA acts.

2. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,907
    I thought the many points in the article were spot-on. No individual, alumni group,department, or program can be placed above the integrity of a university, as Reed points out. In some ways the impending decision reminds me of the action that IU took with Bobby Knight. Although the circumstances were different, the president and university had their priorities straight and upheld the values and integrity of the university by dismissing him. It will be interesting to see if U of L has its values and priorities in place.

3. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Bet the AD will be gone as well if what supposedly happened is true.

4. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,037
    Maybe (and perhaps even probably ) this has and is going on at other institutions. However, that doesn't make it right and if the allegations are true and valid, I am all in favor of a horse penalty[/QUOTE]

Before I get jumped on by some of the grammar and semantics critics on the board, obviously I did not mean to imply that a horse penalty would be appropriate. I don't even know what a horse penalty is and if it really involves a horse.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,881
    Pitino does own shares of thoroughbreds, so it could be a new and creative way for the NCAA to penalize coaches by not allowing their horses to compete at Churchill Downs.

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,109
    One interesting discussion this brings up is where do you draw the line and how much responsibility do you expect coaches to have on visits?

Obviously hiring hookers for minors is past the line. But what about turning a blind eye while a 17 year old goes out and drinks at a college party? Because I can guarantee you THAT happens at nearly every university, and Butler is likely no exception. What would the discussion be like if a recruit got arrested at a college party that got busted?

Wherever the line is, the NCAA needs to start coming down hard on these schools that get caught before they completely lose control. Schools/coaches do these things because the reward is well worth the risk. The reward isn't going down anytime soon, so the only way to deter this type of thing is to increase the risk. It's simply not enough at the moment.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Agree Jared. The only way anyone can be certain nothing is going on is to keep that recruit in your presence 24-7. Hiring the right character helps but how do you control agents, alums etc?

8. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159
    Can understand (somewhat) the school taking its time to get it right. Certainly, not beyond Slick Rick to sue for wrongful termination. But I would certainly do the thorough investigation sooner rather than later. Exactly how long can that take, really? What is more revealing (and not surprisingly) is Slick Rick's overall integrity in this and so many other matters. If he knew or didn't know (and I don't care either way) he should have resigned as the story expanded and the embarrassment for the university grew. But hey, in Slick Rick's world, he's bigger and better than the school. What else could he be thinking? Bottom line, the guy is a sleaze. You go Louisville.

9. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
  10. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,214
    "Clearly, what happened at Louisville was not only wrong, it was unimaginable. I have never heard of such a thing, nor could I have imagined it would happen. It was criminal. But it also was an incident that was outside the duties of a basketball coach."

I seriously wonder what world Jay Bilas lives in. Hey Bilas, Pitino hired the coach in question and was responsible for his supervision especially when it came to recruiting visits.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    In what profession are you not responsible for actions of those you hire and manage that are directly related to the job for which they were hired and managed?

Though I agree with Bilas at least 60% of the time, every now and then he makes me wonder what planet he's on.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Federal Government?

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,960
    Haha...Enough said.

14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
  15. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,159
    Don't know why this whole situation is kind of amazing to me. I am certainly no angel, and not prudish at all (could care less if some recruit gets laid), and I could care less about Pitino and Louisville. But I'd like to think I have some modicum of integrity. I am just kind of shocked that a juniversity would hang on to this guy and appear to "defend" him with all of the bad press and appearance that goes with it. Don't really care one way or another how this pans out as I have zero affinity for Louisville or Pitino. But I know I will be amazed again, and you can bank on it right now, when CBS and/or ESPN puts this sleaze in the studio as an "expert analyst," along side Boeheim. Maybe I'm just in to the "soap opera" aspects of the whole thing.

16. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
  17. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,214
    Agreed, this is the best SP season in well over decade.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
  19. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
  20. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Depending on how egregious the results of the investigation are, wonder if IU would make a play here (if Pitino leaves/gets let go). Fan base has turned sour on Crean and want him gone.