Southern Illinois Salukis (5-0) vs. Butler Bulldogs (1-2), Monday, 12/21, 7:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Dec 20, 2020.

1. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,357
    This season is a wash. Butler will be tough next year if everyone comes back. Great effort to claw back, but the 27-4 run killed them.

On a plus, I got to see my Bengals do something I have not seen in six years. There is some solace there.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. GodawgsXsucks

GodawgsXsucks Member

Money:
    $147
    100% agree here. Not sure about you but throughout the game I thought man the two bigs are playing so poorly tonight then you see box score and there points/rebounds are numbers you would take all day long. Nze really makes me pull hair sometimes and has really bad timely turnovers but that’s a good team that got hot from 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf and 2xDawg like this.
  3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,618
    The Bryce’s are still not themselves after Covid. Hits differently for some and they are expected to perform at a very high level—not there yet. Saying that, Golden was obviously frustrated tonight with the youngin’s not being where they needed to be. We need AT and soon.

bwesson15, bumba, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  4. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,279
    Also, Bolden hit those two early 3’s and didn’t score the rest of the night.

bumba and 2xDawg like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,920
    Disjointed play stems from a lack of practice. Lots of wasted movement. Still we do need to appreciate the fight this group had down the stretch.

bwesson15, bumba, ButlerProf and 4 others like this.
  6. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,414
    To me this was great coaching by siu, once Thompson was not playing they said let the other guys bet them and will just hound bolden. It def worked
    All his shots were very guarded

dippper61, Tentozen, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  7. GodawgsXsucks

GodawgsXsucks Member

Money:
    $147
    Criticizing LJ is warranted but also think it’s important throw in Kampen into the mix. He is awful year in and out.
    The way he defends and game plans for the 3 ball is pathetic

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    tedfrye and dippper61 like this.
  8. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,150
    Finally got around to watching the game.
    First 8-10 minutes were actually fun to watch.
    Then the wheels fell off. Defensive lapses, step too slow on rotations. JMM with limited foot speed. Let them get really comfortable. Gotta finish at the rim. Bryces don’t look right at times. Nzes turnovers drive me crazy. Nice to see sense of urgency in second half but tough to overcome that lead.
    Harris is going to be a stud. Tate almost gets too quick at times, let the game come to him. Wilmouth still real green with the ball in his hands.
    Freshmen falling for too many pump fakes.
    I have no doubt if AT plays we win that game.

Clevedog and Tentozen like this.
  9. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $383
    Anybody else clenching their teeth when Tate dribbles are the top of the key? I swear he palms the ball every time he tries to set up a play.

10. KCbufan21

KCbufan21 Member

Money:
    $33
    We win this game with AT but nice to see the team show some fight to make it close.

Per Kenpom, we are favored in only 3 games the rest of the year (one of which is vs Providence in 2 days) since we as of now do not have home games against DePaul or St John’s scheduled. Watching the freshmen grow will be my saving grace. Looking like our second losing season in 4 years.

Hopefully our seniors come back for another year, with a healthy David + Scooby + Bo is a ton of depth.

11. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $647
    That game last night was 100% synonymous with what u get with 3 freshman starting and 2 more playing significant minutes. I don’t care if u had 300 practices. Nothing supplements game speed and game action.
    That run in the first half was the results of not having a leader on the floor. Love the freshman but they are there yet to be the leaders and the Bryce brothers are too concerned about themselves to do it.
    I am not impressed with the coaching thus far but I will chalk that up a little bit to lack of practices. As a coach u have to come up with a scheme other than high isolation ball screens for true freshman playing their third game. I watched most of that game and off ball screens barely happened which resulted in a lot of standing around. That’s inexcusable and does nothing to help out young guys.
    I really don’t care how much Nze or Golden scored. They killed us tonight on the defensive end. They are upperclassmen and I don’t care how many practices they had or how much weight they lost, they can’t defend at all.

dippper61 likes this.
  12. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $292
    bumba likes this.
  13. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,356
    I'm not even going to bother reading through the thread. I was too busy in the first half getting my vaccine, so I didn't see the wheels fall off, but I did get to watch the second half and I thought the team played well. Difficult to overcome spotting a team nearly 20. My only concern with coaching was letting Harris inbound that last play. Shouldn't he have been available for a catch and shoot? (again, I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but I'm not going to read the whole 12 pages to catch up)

dawgs2014 likes this.
  14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $770
    I'd be surprised if any of them stuck around. If it were me I'd stay in school as long as I could, but at least Thompson and Nze you figure will be able to make a living playing the game for a little while.

In terms of staying healthy, since Ralph came back there's been at least 1 significant injury that hampers the team, so I'd be surprised if Butler is ever in a situation where they have a bunch of quality depth.

It's the right mindset IMO to look at this as a 2011-12 team where young guys were getting a big chunk of the minutes and you knew down the road they'd have a pretty decent team (also with a good one year transfer hopefully on the horizon). It'll be painful to watch for sure, but hopefully the young guys learn and develop. One thing I will say is that if they want to do anything down the road the defense absolutely has to get better during the season. I'm confident the young guys will be competent offensively as basically all the teams under LaVall have, but last year's defense to start the season seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

KCbufan21 and dippper61 like this.
  15. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,356
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron Thompson as DOBO next year. Not sure if he has much of a future playing professionally. Defense is his best skill and in Europe, D is much less important than in the collegiate game.

Indirectly blaming Ralph Reiff is like blaming your doctor when you get the flu after you got the flu vaccine. AT's do the things necessary to prevent most injuries, but cannot prevent all of them. Butler has been snake-bitten lately with knees and ankles.

2xDawg likes this.
  16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,478
    I could see Aaron back as a player. Didn't they just hire an interim (and likely to be permanent) DOBO? I think the dude's most likely to be back and Thompson and Nze -- longest tenure with the team and they could want to see a "real" final season. I could see Bolden and David saying, for different reasons, this is the end.

17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,618
    Current thinking is Aaron will be back, but obviously that decision is a ways off.

18. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,075
    I didn't get a chance to see the game, but any reason why Coles got significantly fewer minutes this game?

19. GodawgsXsucks

GodawgsXsucks Member

Money:
    $147
    Seemed a step slow on the defensive end to me.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  20. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $923
    Agreed and, even though it's clear neither one is 100%, they still scored a combined 31 points on 12/18 shooting and pulled down 20 rebounds between them. Let's wait a couple of weeks before we try to access these guys.

Also, Butler shot 13/17 at the line last night, which is an improvement. The freshmen were 7/7.

This team isn't going to be great but I don't agree they're only going to win three or four games. Once Thompson is back and the two big guys round into shape, with the freshmen continuing to see playing time and improving, these guys will be okay.

EDIT: One more thing, it's comical that folks are complaining about Butler scheduling a good team to come in and play on short notice. It's exactly what they needed.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Tentozen, bwesson15, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.