Southern Illinois Salukis (5-0) vs. Butler Bulldogs (1-2), Monday, 12/21, 7:30 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,478
    the dream of all dreams!

2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,870
    The Good: Our defense is 2nd in the Nation at not allowing offensive rebounds

The Bad: Butler is now 323rd in defending the 3FG allowing over 46%

The Ugly: Butler is 263rd 2FG% in defending allowing 53.8%

The positive is PC shoots 28.1% 3FG as a team which is 278th in the nation

3. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,478
    which means they are going to go off against us if past is prologue

bumba and estar20dawg like this.
  4. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $619
    Providence always comes to Hinkle and plays out their ass. If we could hold them to 46 per cent 3 pt. shooting or less....that's our Christmas miracle.

5. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $158
    One of Brad Stevens’s blatant strengths was/is a) use of timeouts, b) set plays coming out of timeouts, and c) inbounds plays in general. Miss those.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac, 2xDawg, bumba and 2 others like this.
  6. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $158
    10-1 heading into conference play, ahem, first ever Big East season; third conference in three years, so just stop.

bumba, 2xDawg and ButlerAlumDad716 like this.
  7. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $158
    4 seconds is ample time for a set inbounds play. Appeared they didn’t have one at the ready, despite no timeouts left.

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,690
    I think they did have one. Coles just saw SIU blow it up initially and panicked, not realizing he had enough time to let Boldin get free. (He eventually did)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

GoodDawgs likes this.
  9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,358
    One bright side... It appears we have a score PG/ combo guard who isn't afraid to shoot. Both Tate and Harris can score in a lot of ways

10. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,478
    I think we almost forgot what it's like to have a PG (or pair of them) that'll shoot and make open threes.

cornette33 likes this.
  11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,618
    Agree on the OOO and set plays out of timeouts, but Brad like every Butler coach I’ve ever watched seems to often wait too long to call TO. It’s like it’s in the contract or something.

12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,920
    SIU was never going to let Bolden get a decent shot off on the last play. BU had no one capable of defending Domask and a cast of skilled shooters to compliment him.

13. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,734
    I thought we were just waiting until Val got the players he needed for his system....then look out. Absolutely these guys have gone through a lot. Just as every other program in the country. Too bad the product on the floor isn't near as creative as the excuses. But I am willing to give Val some time, just as it seems I have to do every season. If it were just these 4 games this season then you MUST give a "understandable" pass. But outside of that amazing and unexpected run at the beginning of last year, all of Val's teams pretty much underperform based on the talent level at his access. Appears these freshman and transfers do some have talent. Kudos to Val for getting them here. Still no help on defense (see Southern Illinois Val) and for the most part there is no team offense, rather more individual dribble drive and break your man and launch at will, as it has been the past 3+ years. Are there some better offensive players than others on this team that need some sets run for them to maximize our possessions? Or does everyone have a green light all the time? Looks like it. Would still like for Val to hire an X's and O's assistant (a la Al McGuire to Hank Raymond....McGuire acknowledged he was a lousy X's and O's man) and turn over game planning and preparation to him. Otherwise, I think we can count on and expect more seasons of double digit losses (only saved by COVID last year), middle of the pack finishes, and short runs in the NCAA, if we actually make the Dance. Believe me, I like Val....but it's so painful to watch his teams if you like good, smart basketball.

DawgPoundMac and 2xDawg like this.
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,850
    And two kids Brandon recruited currently in the NBA (Kelan & McD).

Quit hating on someone that has a mental health issue ffs. Butler would have never started a wave in March Madness if it wasn't for Brandon & LJ's teams.

15. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Active Member

Money:
    $417
    How much better does Bolden need to shoot in order to get a play designed for him? Can we get our shooter in a situation to shoot? That out of bounds play where he caught and shot from the baseline was great. He can clearly execute when his number is called, FEED THE HOT HAND!

16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,804
    That’s literally the play they attempted to run. SIU just defended it better. That play obviously didn’t lose the game and I think we’d of had a better opportunity if we still had a timeout left to draw something up. A play had to be called on the fly, and as you noted one that worked earlier in the game.

2xDawg likes this.
  17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,920
    Bolden has not worked that hard to get open in first 3 games. It may be a matter of conditioning but his cuts need to be much more crisper IMO.

18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Active Member

Money:
    $383
    This. And set plays are limited because of the lack of practice. I think it’s a good/bad thing they played yesterday. You need more games to get the freshmen acclimated but also need practices to show them where they mess up and work on cohesive things like picks, plays, defenses, when/how to help on screens. The lack of offensive schemes is mostly due to the fact you have so many freshmen in key roles who are thrown into a new system without any time to work out kinks

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

GoodDawgs likes this.
  19. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $368
    We definitely had to play yesterday. Really sucks to lose the streak but they need game action to be competitive in any Big East games this year really, especially if Aaron is out. This was always going to be a rebuilding year and losing Scooby plus the pandemic makes it even harder to get guys going. Very disappointed in the Bryces. Freshman are playing well. Never would have thought that would be the case. Having an unplayable big like Mulloy makes it even harder to overcome the poor Bryce performances. These freshmen are winners though and we just need help from the upperclassmen to get them in winning situations.

cornette33 and willisbrown like this.
  20. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,711
    The lack of depth was always going to be an issue up front. Add in absolutely zero development from Hastings and JMM (which, duh) plus no Scooby...it's tough. Coles will have spurts of great play and then a few duds as all freshman do and he's really the only option to rotate right now at the 4/5 spot. So we're going to have to lean on the Bryces unfortunately more than we want to. With that comes not only bad play but also what are you going to do about it? Put in JMM and forfeit the game? Nope. Just hope they get crisper.

We need to process those two and go crazy in the big transfer market.

ButlerHomer likes this.