Spain Trip

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by cornette33, Jun 18, 2017.

1. shoeevv

shoeevv Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $142
    Simple observations from the trip:

-As has been said many times, the trip couldn't have come in a better year.
    -Special thanks to the Hat Man for the coverage
    -Martin and Baldwin are the Big Dawgs.
    -The PG spot we were all worried about, seems to have three good options
    -Fowler, Bad, and McD have progressed, all be it apparently against lesser competition
    -AT and David are the real deal
    -AT and David are the real deal X 2
    -4 and 0 is never bad.

Talk to me. I'm really interested in everyone's views.

2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator

Money:
    $489
    Tough to really say - I didn't watch any of the games. Tried to watch today but the feed wasn't cooperating. My main question coming out of this is the defense. I know they have guys who individually can play good defense, but they'll need to make progress if they want to make some noise this year. I'm concerned about the consistency of scorers behind Baldwin and Martin as well, though I think if they can become a very good defensive team, then they might be able to get away with only having a couple of scorers. I do think David could be a third scorer at times, assuming he's healthy, but that's a lot to ask of a freshman.

mass_dawgs likes this.
  3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Active Member

Money:
    $424
    Yea, my quick takeaways are, we might not have a traditional, you play the 1 but we have a ton of great combo guard talent to are all capable and unselfish to run the point. Everyone didn't really know what to expect from Jorgy and I recall some people just openly didn't like his addition when he transferred but from what I see, this system and the year off he looks more than capable of giving us quality minutes. I love the way he shot it with confidence and his passing was very good. The new Lavall system of a little more tempo fits him nicely.

I know we were all worried about rebounding and the 4 spot, but honestly I think they know that and are making a conscious decision to have guards rebounding. I loved what I saw from Martin, Baddley, Baldwin, and even McD on the glass.

I think even with Young leaving, we kept the guys who are going to really leave a lasting impression, meaning Thompson and David's importance far outweigh Young. Both AT and CD are going to be fantastic this year for us. We are extremely deep. I don't know about minutes but rotationally we will have probably 10 guys we can count on. We might consider RS someone but still far too early out to consider who and why yet.

4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,892
    UW-Milwaukee had a pace of 344 out of 351 teams (last season we were 285). FIBA has a 24s shot clock and a 14s ORB shot clock. Maybe that's an explanation for the more uptempo system.

5. estar20dawg

Money:
    $424
    All the practices we've seen clips have them working on uptempo. I'm pretty sure he had to slow the game down and limit possessions at UWM with the lack of talent and scholarships and just overall basketball players...Just saying, if you had a team that bad you sure as heck wouldn't want to run with anyone...

bmradio99 and SpartanDawgs like this.
  6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,706
    They were definitely working on playing uptempo to beat the 24 second shot clock in the practice I witnessed, (and often failed) so hard to say that's our style for the season at this point. Will be interesting to see how much this carries over.

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $876
    BU's guards have hit the defensive boards for years out of necessity. Bigs block out and seal off offensive rebounders while guards hit the glass. I don't see that strategy changing significantly. What we do after securing a defensive carom may change if LJ's plan is to speed things up before the opposition's defense can set up.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,479
    So AT and David are the real deal and Fowler, Bad and McD played against inferior competition. So AT and David didn't?

Tentozen likes this.
  9. shoeevv

shoeevv Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $142
    My point is that Bad, Fowler, and McD did not show me the same things their first year that AT and CD did on this trip, but all three seem to have significantly progressed in their play regardless of what level of competition the Dawgs were facing.

bmradio99 likes this.
  10. peeps112

peeps112 Active Member

Money:
    $232
    I don't think we can count on CD making a big contribution this year only because of injuries. Hope he is healthy and can play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Red1972

Red1972 Active Member

Money:
    $139
    How does anyone what CD's physical situation is? He is playing and October is couple of months off.

12. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Active Member

Money:
    $226
    Agreed. We're reading way too much into one sentence in a David Woods story.

mass_dawgs likes this.
  13. PDT1242

PDT1242 Member

Money:
    $46
    I think one of the key takeaways from this trip is that LJ showed this team how to win. With that comes a whole lot of positive emotions/attitudes that should carry them far into this season. Think about it, he brought all the new players and returnees thousands of miles, and got them to not only bond but to realize that they have learned to work together and can win. WOW! Think of how positive the practices will be from here on out. A new coach who no one essentially knew much if anything about and he introduces his system to them and showed them that he can lead them to a 'successful' year. Whatever he did in his rotation, play calling etc., I think it was very important that the team win some of its games, but to win them all is sooo positive.
    I congratulate Val for a great introduction as our new head coach and am totally behind him. ( At least for today....)

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,479
    Agree with you PDT. LJ said before the trip that bonding would be the most important benefit of the trip. Winning adds to that bonding. I didn't see any of the games and have no idea how anyone did on either end of the court other than some stat lines and snippets. Hopefully LJ has a pretty good idea of where he is player wise and can spend the next sixty days molding the offense and defense and creating a cohesive team on the floor.

15. peeps112

peeps112 Active Member

Money:
    $232
    He's playing limited minutes because of injuries and his knees swell. Hope that changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Active Member

Money:
    $226
    Where did you see that he is playing limited minutes? I've only seen it speculated on this board.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $424

It's cause he has no real idea or medical background even what doctors and training staff say he's fine...He's reading a single line from a journalist weeks ago if not a month or more ago and making it into something its not. It's what happens on here 99% of the time especially in summer time. CD is fine. He will be right there judging by the early exhibition games my guess is one of the first 3 off the bench and probably will be in the starting lineup come BE time.

18. peeps112

peeps112 Active Member

Money:
    $232
    Yikes, have an issue apparently? Guy was the 11th man off the bench in at least two games in Spain. Do you think he's the 11th best player on our team? Perhaps Vall is watching his minutes carefully.

19. estar20dawg

Money:
    $424
    Yes, I do have an issue, with people who won't listen to rational facts and thoughts and keep pouring nonfactual information when actual people in the fields have given you evidence to the contrary. Just like this post of he was the 11th man of the bench, and watching his minutes, well of course Vall was watching his minutes, you have said
    I'm pretty sure I've said multiple times as others have that CD is our best NBA prospect and will be our most impact freshman although Thompson will have something to say about that, and I love what I saw from AT, we got a steal with him. With the injury history and what happened to Rosey, this was a trainer's decision on how much to play CD and Vall correctly inserted CD with the periods of time he wanted him on the court with who was on the court hence the 11th man. Neese was held out the first 2 games for something he probably would be playing the regular season with. There just is no need to worry about a 4 game exhibition of players. I literally couldn't have cared less if Martin played zero minutes or Campbell starting. I'm glad they bonded and had fun and escaped healthy that was the goal and it was accomplished. Until I head specifically from a Butler trainer/doctor that CD's knee has a problem I'm sticking with he's fine. End rant. I apologize for the lack of brevity or if it comes across as insincere or an attack on you peeps, but trying to squash this nonsense once and for all about CD's health.

BUcheer likes this.
  20. estar20dawg

Money:
    $424