Sports media - subscriptions, preferences, industry thoughts

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by bmradio99, Oct 9, 2019.

1. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,930
  2. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    Apparently Dan Dakich has been suspended from his radio show. Anyone know why ?

ButlerNut likes this.
  3. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,297
    According to Emmis Communications(owner of WFNI) it is due to “a failure last year on Dan’s part to adhere to the journalistic principles valued by Emmis.” Many seem to think it was due to comments he made about Romeo Langford & Archie Miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    Okay, so we can assume a shoe company might have vented some frustration to ESPN.

Tentozen and MBA2003 like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,436
    Not a big fan of Dan but everything he said was true IMO. This happened last season. Evidently he crossed the line with his rant?

6. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,713
    So what did he say about Romeo and Archie?

ButlerNut likes this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,436
    You tube has the entire audio. "Dan Dakich Show- What is happening at Indiana"

ButlerNut likes this.
  8. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $697
    It seems more than a little weird to get suspended in October for something that was done "last year." Clearly, Emmis Communications really values those "journalistic principles." I looked up the rant on YouTube (which, btw, took place in January of this year). I don't really follow or care about IU basketball and know very little about most of the people Dakich mentioned, but I did find it perfect in one respect. He starts it off with, "This is going back to 1987..."

That, right there, encapsulates IU basketball. I'm going back to 1987.

ChiDawg3, DawgsMD, #60 and 2 others like this.
  9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,664
    He’s obviously inflammatory but I don’t disagree with the principles he discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,335
    Other than swearing I didn't hear anything you don’t hear on say ESPN. These sports guys all want to be shock jocks. In many ways he could have said similar things about LJ and how our fives played last season. Things have changed a lot from the last century when Knight coached to current day. Kids are coddled today versus getting chewed on. What little I saw of Langford last year was exactly what Dakich said. Langford went through the motions waiting to be drafted.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    tlp63 likes this.
  11. bmradio99

Money:
    $3,930
  12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,979
  13. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,629
    I read until the end of the article, but am still trying to find out why I should subscribe. Is this the Stars way of saying "we gave you a warning" if Butler coverage is axed? And which one of us is actually David Woods? Please let it be willis!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

BulldogsFTW and DawgsMD like this.
  14. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,040
    I have subscribed for two reasons: to see what is written about the Dawgs and, more importantly, to support increased coverage and exposure for our Dawgs. If we don't show a demand for Butler coverage, we won't get much. Just listen to talk radio. The only thing they could talk about, that I really care about, rarely gets discussed...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,214
    I can confirm (and there is photographic evidence floating around here) that @willisbrown is not David's burner account. But I'm pretty sure that he has at least one, maybe two burner accounts.

16. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,422
    I have met and spoken with David many times. A great guy doing a great job for a great program.

In the age of social media and the level of intelligence and passion on this board, it would be very hard for the Star or David Woods to scoop us on ANY story concerning Butler. But he does provide great insights and goes much deeper than the headline feed often mentioned here.

NCJon, Sidd Finch and godogs91 like this.
  17. bmradio99

Money:
    $3,930
    I broke down and got an IndyStar digital subscription last night ($3/month for 3 months, then regular price after that, so really I'll only have one month of regular price before I cancel).

I still feel that for the ultra-engaged fans (i.e. those of us posting here) Dustin Dopriak's postgame articles in The Athletic are more useful for deep analysis. Obviously David Woods has to be a reporter first (that's what he's good at!) for the entire readership, so it's an apples/oranges comparison that's unfair to DW, unless we're talking about the "Butler Insider" stuff that he does.

Credit where credit is due: I've *hated* the Gannett/Star digital experience, but the mobile experience I used to sign up and read a couple Butler articles was improved. Not good. But better.

Also, in the most recent "Dawg Talk" podcast (available on soundcloud without a Gannett subscription) that DW does with Matthew Glenesk, he mentioned something about the Butler fanbase responding with a bunch of digital subscriptions, so that's good for them.

18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,137
    The New Gannett company laid off 23 newsroom people, including 6 in sports, at The IndyStar today.