Sports media - subscriptions, preferences, industry thoughts

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by bmradio99, Oct 9, 2019.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,834
    Haven’t heard who yet. Clerks used to handle a lot of the high school call-ins, but I imagine they do something else now.

2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,992
    Dustin Dopirak got laid off from The Athletic. They laid off 46 people today.

3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Dustin did a good job covering Butler, IU, and Purdue. Well be missed!

seadawg likes this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,604
    I've been worried that would happen. Just knowing a bit about The Athletic's metrics expectations, the weird hybrid beat they had him on and the dearth of sports news these past few months, it seemed unsustainable.

I met Dustin many years ago when he was fresh out of college and on the JMU beat for a small Virginia newspaper. I doubt he would remember me, but I have followed his byline ever since. He seemed like a good dude then, and I've enjoyed reading his Butler stories the last 18 months. I hope he's able to stay in sports journalism if that's what he wants.

UDDawg and Shimmy like this.
  5. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,959
    Sucks. Lots of good writers getting let go.

godogs91 and bumba like this.
  6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,136
    @PSUButlerFan didn't you mention awhile ago that you worked with or was aware of the VC firm that just invested another large amount of seed money into the Athletic in the past fiscal year?

7. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,098
    Our luck we will get stuck with Kravitz.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

bmradio99 likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Obviously the business model wasn’t working well with no athletic competition.

9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,131
    Agree, so how do we get Zak Keefer back on the Dawgs beat? I'm a subscriber and would be more than happy to start the requests. We're probably talking one story a week and they already have three guys covering the Colts ffs.