St. John's Red Storm (13-7, 7-6) at Butler Bulldogs (6-10, 5-8), Tuesday, 2/9, 9:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Feb 7, 2021.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,851
    I don't think LaVall has been Phil Jackson this season by any means, but I think he's done a better job than many (including me) are giving him credit for.

Before the season started, every publication had Butler in the 7-10 range in the BE. And that was before Covid hit the entire team and we suffered multiple impactful injuries. We currently sit in 7th and only a game behind SJ's (a bubble team) for 6th. Watching this team is extremely frustrating most of the time. But given the circumstances, I think it could be a lot worse.

2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,176
    Oh yes we will!

6-24 AGAIN

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,862
    Shows how out of it I am this season. I'd forgotten it's a 20-game BE slate this year.

They're 6-8 with six games to go. 9-11 is in play, but it's a tall task considering two of the remaining six games are against Nova and at Creighton (auto-loss). Will need to win either at Georgetown or X to make it happen.

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,169
    LJ made a strategic decision to attack quickly the majority of the time. This was similar to the game plan BU employed in the tournament game a couple years ago against Arkansas, only this time BU's weaponry was limited. It still proved to be the correct approach.

5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,547
    Thinking about this game after a few hours of sleep and a morning workout:

1) AT played his mind out last night, and was sort of quiet doing so until the last 5 minutes. If he comes back, he should be studying Mark Jackson. An outsized guy who knew how to drive and back people down, but was most dangerous passing the ball and on D.
    2)Tate played better, but ultimately, he is still the 4th best option at guard, unless you go small and put Bolden/Hodges at the 4.
    3)Golden is off, but I think he's key to our success. He should start but then be Nze's backup for the rest of the game.
    4)Bolden needs to hit some shots. His struggles hurt this team, he's supposed to be our sniper.
    5)Whatever play was run with 2:00 to go in regulation should be run again. AT drove and both Hodges and Bolden floated out to the perimeter and were WIDE open. That's the in-and-out shot of Hodges.
    6)I like how Coach Jordan is playing the guys that are playing well, not relying on the initial game-plan.
    7)Run. This is not a Princeton-style team. I thought we were BETTER than St. John's at their own run-and-gun game.
    8)I doubt Christian David gets much more time other than garbage/foul trouble time. I'd consider JMM over him.
    9)If this is a "down" season. We are officially a better than average high-major program.

2xDawg likes this.
  6. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    Andy, good to see you posting.

7. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    Yeah, that and beating Seton Hall at home is no bunny. 9-11 in conference play would be a good accomplishment for this team.

BURph92 and Hinkle like this.
  8. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    That's only because St. John's was so bad at getting back on defense at times. Plus, they weren't very good and defending drives to the basket. Butler was opportunistic in that regard but it isn't the norm. They may be a little better equipped to run with Hodges now on the floor but it's still going to be situational.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,313
    It’s an apples to oranges comparison but winning the same number of games in conference this year as last year would be hilarious.

Also extremely impressive-even if actually watching the games is extremely tedious.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle and ButlerNut like this.
  10. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,742
    The Princeton style offense is not even that "bad" per se. They are making good cuts, but I cannot believe how many passes they've dropped along the baseline. It's remarkable.

11. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,368
    He looked a little unsure of himself in the first half, maybe bothered by their length a little, but that second half was strong. His stroke from 3 looks solid.

12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    Man the amount of salt and whine coming out of St Johns message boards is hilarious...basically the only reason we won is because the refs and they believe every flop Posh had should have gone against us. They go homered and rigged because the nation didn't want the streak to continue blah blah blah the charge that Bolden took on the fat b*****d who drives out of control SHOULD definitely have been a block , the lack of basketball IQ that you can be moving while taking a screen is mind numbing over there. The amount of hooks and charges and ticky tack against them...Yet I don't believe the refs got 1 out of bound call correct, I think I counted 7 balls the looked clear as day out on St Johns given to them...Jeez it was bad. It was enjoyable reading how much they enjoyed their dunkathon and going to bury us...that aged really well

When you play thug ball like them against organized ball of course you are going to foul more than the other team

ButlerNut and BoyGeoff like this.
  13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,313
    I mean the obvious counter to this is we do the same thing when we lose, except we probably lead the country in deciding that we should cancel basketball and becomes a chess school as a result of an opponent going on a 6-0 run

PSUButlerFan, jeff, ChiDawg3 and 2 others like this.
  14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,546
    True, but not as blatant as this crap is. It's almost every post in 41 pages of stuff...

znelson15 likes this.
  15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,853
    —Really pleased they went for the tie and not a 3. AT was gettting to the rim at will. No one last night I would have felt good about taking a 3 with so little time. Plus STJ with foul trouble and Dawgs with the momentum, OT felt winnable.
    —Biggest disappointment of the the game was not seeing Alexander foul out. Should have racked up the 5th in regulation. So much contact on AT drives, but refs weren’t going to call a 5th unless egregious.
    —Have mentioned this before, but Tate has a very specific ritual at the line and I’m going feel good seeing him there in crunch time.
    —AT wasn't rushing his FT shot last night and it obviously helps.
    —AT makes beautiful passes under the basket but it would be nice if they went to players with actual hands. You’re right there, young man, lay it in. Is he worried about getting fouled and sent to the line? Some confidence in the FT will go a long if that’s the case.
    —one last thing: an engaged Dawg Pound made the home court advantage real.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    DawgPoundMac likes this.
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,862
    So what’s going on with Golden? Who in recent memory has regressed as sharply from one season to the next?

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

Dawgedd and UDDawg like this.
  17. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    They probably weren't going to foul intentionally anyway but Posh Alexander was on Thompson and he had four fouls.

18. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    I agree he's had a rough year. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or something he's been battling physically.

He wasn't terrible last night. He had 11 points and 5 rebounds in 26 minutes.

19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $894
    I really don't like the categorization of St. John's playing style in your post. Butler during their F4 runs intentionally got overly physical with their opponents because they knew the officials wouldn't call everything, and I don't think we'd ever label the way they played as that. Plus, considering how much St. John's overplays and pressures, you actually need to be incredibly organized on defense to get away with that.

FWIW, I think St. John's has their coach in Mike Anderson. Dude wins wherever he goes, and I'd take Posh Alexander on my team (not over our current guys mind you) any day. Kid is as tough and physical as they come.

I say this as someone whose previous post didn't age any better talking about the team not having an edge. Went to bed at halftime, woke up, checked my phone, chuckled, and said "Of course." Hoping my DVR got the entire game so I can watch tonight.

jkcdawgs, BoyGeoff, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  20. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $961
    Agreed, you really shouldn't complain about someone else's board while using the term "thug ball". Anyway, there was nothing thuggish about the way St. John's played.