St. John's Red Storm (6-6, 1-5) vs Butler Bulldogs (3-6, 2-4), Tuesday, 1/12, 7:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 9, 2021.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    Something I’ve noticed is that we look inexplicably sped up at the line. Especially our worst shooters. Thompson and Nze get the ball and then seem rushed to get the ball out of their hands. They seem to be going noticeably quicker than they have in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen, DawgPoundMac and IndyDawgs like this.
  2. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    Khalif Battle says hello.

3. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    I don’t think I agree with you because I just don’t think that any sort of conclusions can be drawn from this season at all.

But I DO want to thank you for at least making your criticism well laid out, thoughtful and based in real analysis and not emotion.

I actually think Willis’ post about finishing close to last twice in three years is reasonably compelling. It’s something I’ve thought about as well. We’re also going to go at least four years between tournament games, which is also a compelling point.

I just don’t think there’s any glaring failure I can point to with Lavall. He’s done really well when he’s had anything to work with except 18-19. Maybe the toughness of the teams? I’m not sure, I’m reaching.

DawgPoundMac and CMG like this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,609
    Vall said they needed to take a look under the hood of Butler basketball and figure out what’s going on after UConn. This was not the response I’d hoped for or expected. There needs to be some soul searching right now by both players and staff. I’m hoping for a cathartic come to Jesus in the locker room followed by an awkward low boil atmosphere on the trip home. Yeah, you’ve been dealt some hardships. Figure out who you are minus Kamar Baldwin and reclaim your toughness.

5. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $512
    It’s not just teams that have seasons like this. Teams that have decent to good seasons lose players. We would’ve made the tournament last year but Battle still transferred. and Tucker still uh...retired?

This can also mean that Butler gets a transfer who’s a legit upgrade but it also can mean you lose your best two scoring options for the next season. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    Usually comments like that mean that something is going on. Coaches usually don’t just insinuate there is an issue if they’re just playing bad basketball.

I think though, that likely, what’s mostly going on is we’re just not good.

We just have so many freshmen minutes, and our freshmen obvious have a lot of promise, but it’s not like we have four top forty guys. None were too 100. The fact that there is a steep learning curve isn’t that surprising.

bwesson15, BUcheer and IndyDawgs like this.
  7. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,609
    It’s because they don’t expect the ball to go in. They want that moment to be over with as quickly as possible. There is no focus or mental preparation.

“You will be what you will to be”—James Allen

willisbrown likes this.
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,909
    Nothing quite like teasing us before snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. These players are yet to understand their roles.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,681
    Sure, but something changed to make them less comfortable than they used to be. Nze’s mechanics also seem worse than they were before.

I do wonder how much the covid layoff has impacted this, because I agree with you that it shouldn’t be happening.

10. Dale Denton

Dale Denton Member

Money:
    $57
    The entire staff is so bad. “Coach” Jordan is such a horrible leader. I don’t think I would follow him into a bar even if he was buying.

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,848
    I was thinking about the injuries tonight when they said Chuck couldn't go. Man, this team has been bitten by the injury bug. David & Scooby in the off-season. Then AT & Coles both out for multiple weeks during conference play. Now it's Harris. I agree that I don't see us playing a complete game until we're healthy & it's probably going to be too late by then.

12. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $156
    Ya I haven’t heard much chatter about losing Crone and Myers on the staff. Bench is mostly inexperienced and short handed. Just more to factor in to a dismal start to the season

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,848
    So, serious question for everyone if only for giggles.

What happens to this team if Battle & Tucker are on the roster? Are we competitive or getting shelled night in and out like right now?

14. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $647
    I get tired of hearing “Covid” as an excuse. Every team had to deal with Covid, and yes we have younger players that need more practice. However, it can’t be used over and over as a reason this team is not over achieving. I say over achieving because that was the only chance we had this year being very good is if we over achieved.
    There’s not another team probably in America that log so many freshman minutes. I love Nze and Golden and they are both Big East caliber players, but they aren’t starters on any of those teams.
    So, we have 4 freshman logging major minutes and two post players that would probably average at most 10 minute each on a good big East team playing the majority of our minutes. Add the fact AT was out for the better part of a month and we are probably right where any team would be right now with that situation.
    I don’t like the offense LJ runs at all, but I like how he recruits and I think he has potential to be a decent coach given the time. I do wonder whether or not he has the ability to be the bad guy and fire his friends. I do agree that he needs to take a major look at his staff and make some Changes. Don’t think Kampen or Lowery are very good right now. May be in over their heads at this level as far as coaching X’s and O’s

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,519
    Math...

seadawg likes this.
  16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,909
    They would probably be injured by now.

17. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $156
    Part of the recipe for success has been rock solid senior leadership. Not knocking AT at all, but hey he’s missed several games & practices. It’s tough to lead from the bench. And there’s really no one else ‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

GoodDawgs likes this.
  18. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,726
    Battle wasn't very good at all - and that's being charitable.

Tentozen likes this.
  19. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,928
    This. I’m as frustrated as anyone with the losing and poor play but if I’m grading the season so far I’d give the team and staff an incomplete. I get that injuries are part of the game but not like this. We’ve had 5 different starting lineups in 10 games. Of our 9 perceived rotation players entering this season, only 3(Bolden, Nze, & Tate) have not missed at least one game due to injury. That doesn’t even include Hodges. Because of the injuries we don’t have enough guys to practice 5 on 5 and the available guys are being asked to adjust to different roles each game. Not to mention Wilmuth(who many thought was a redshirt candidate) is having to play major minutes and we’re being forced to give minutes to Hastings & JMM both of whom would unlikely be playing at all otherwise. I’d love to see what this team would look like with a mostly full cast of characters but I’m doubtful that will happen this season.

20. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,609
    Seems you missed my reply post to Hinkle saying I was off by a year. But your unnecessary snark is noted.

willisbrown likes this.