St. John's Red Storm (6-6, 1-5) vs Butler Bulldogs (3-6, 2-4), Tuesday, 1/12, 7:00 PM EST (FS1)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Dale Denton

Dale Denton Member

Money:
    $57
    “Coach” LaVall doesn’t know what he’s doing. I remember the excitement when Butler would come out of a timeout and run a beautiful set or execute an under the basket play for an easy bucket. Unfortunately, those days are long gone. “Coach” is incompetent when it comes to X’s and O’s. However, his bible verse and social justice game ranks top 10.

Lets be real thank God this guy had Holt’s recruits. Kelan averaged 20+ ppg and basically carried the team his senior year. The same can be said about Kamar last year. We can’t forget how solid Wideman and McDermott were too.

Glanced over AT’s career stats. “Coach” LaVall has done a tremendous job developing him. Freshmen year AT shot 53.9% from the FT line compared to this season’s 55.2% (what an increase!). Also, remember when Matt Howard and Alex Barlow developed into pretty decent 3 point shooters by the time they were seniors? Well lets take a look at AT... he shot 13.3% from the 3 point line his freshmen year, he’s only attempted 2 shots from deep range this season, and last season he shot a whopping 7.7% from beyond the line. Keep up the development LJ!

Lastly, just one question. Is 61% a good FT percentage for a team?

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,676
    Holtmann’s offense rank in 17: 20
    Lavall offensive rank in 18: 22

Players lost between 17-18: Andrew Chrabascz, Avery Woodson, Kethan Savage, Tyler Lewis.

Players added: Paul Jorgensen, Aaron Thompson, Christian David, JGB.

Lavall’s first year he had Holtmann’s players less 4 of the top 6 contributors from the previous year. If he were actually that bad at X’s and O’s wouldn’t you expect to like actually see him have a worse offense?

Why, if he’s so bad, when given the same group available to the previous coach, does he produce the same results?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,403
    pretty sure Kelan wasn't a Holt recruit...Neither was McD or Wideman...

znelson15 and PSUButlerFan like this.
  4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,676
    Correct, but they were inherited from holt by lavall, not that it makes a difference to the point.

5. CMG

CMG Member VIP Member

Money:
    $181
    Any coach evaluation should include performance relative to budget (and buyout, but we are not privy to this). Butler remains last in the Big East and shouldn't expect a national championship with a Duquesne budget. They could expect Duquesne-like results.

Who would do a better job of doing more with less?
    Would you be eager pay a buyout that is probably 1/4 of the yearly budget?

Ster8462 likes this.
  6. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $617
    And we lost Christian David for the season to injury after the great start. He was playing inspired basketball before the injury.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,727
    Anyone hear LaVall on the radio today? If so, anything notable?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,569
    Spared myself reading the comments.

Watched the game today (because of a late night working)

I saw some positives:
    Nze and Golden played better
    Freshmen didn't look horrible against the pressure
    Some excellent ball rotation for extra passes creating very good looking shots

I saw some negatives:
    Leaving guys open on rotations
    Too many turnovers
    Not getting to the F/T line (of course, if Butler were to get to the F/T line, that would be the negative here, with the abysmal F/T shooting)

Moving on. Dawgs started slow and never got over the hump. Playing catchup is so hard, especially when you let shooters spot up and shoot. Champagnie had a great night from 3 because the shots weren't contested.

SJU was very pedestrian and any other year, Butler beats them by 20. But, this is not any other year. This is a team searching for some improvements so that next year can be better.

9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,927
    How about the 2013-14 team? They had to win their last 2 BE games to pass DePaul for 9th at 4-14. That was an odd season as the Dawgs looked good in the non-conference with wins over Vanderbilt, Washington St, & Purdue, and very close losses to Oklahoma St. & LSU. Then they started the BE season 0-4 with a close loss @ X and 3 home OT losses. The entire season seemed to derail from that point.

10. WAJC77

WAJC77 Active Member

Money:
    $416
    Asterisk to the "bad" 2013-14 record.... played entire year with no Rose Jones, otherwise probably at least .500 in conference and beat Seton in opening conf tourney game (we lost by 1)

Tentozen likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,657
    That was not a good team, but they lost 6 games either by one possession or in overtime, including (as you pointed out) a 2 point loss to fifth-ranked OSU and an overtime loss to nova. They also played a very good creighton team down to the wire at hinkle before losing by two possessions.

Again, they weren’t good. But that team could’ve pretty easily been 17-14 instead of 14-17 *and* it was missing its best player and had a head coach who may have already been going through some stuff.

So, all that considered, I’ll definitely take the 2013-2014 squad over this one.

DawgPoundMac, bu1973 and willisbrown like this.
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,684
    Yeah that team had grit. Many nights they were outgunned but they played their asses off. I remember new years eve 2013, hosting Nova. I flew up from Mississippi and took my pops to the game. Great atmosphere and so close to knocking Nova off. After so many close calls to that point, I was feeling pretty good...then the wheels starting falling off (for various reasons)...but they at least bowed up and played strong.

I remember them against LSU turkey weekend too...had them beaten and it slipped away. Many close calls that year. And you talk about challenges. You lose Brad, you are transitioning into the big east, Rose goes down and the other matter we know all too well. Still, they showed up and scrapped.