Starting 5.....2012-2013?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Three Specks, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    it seems like there is alot of hype going into next season and alot of debate about who is going to play and how much the freshman will contribute. I know that there has been some projected lineups on the old starting 5 thread, so I figured a new one for next season would be better. I'd like to think the depth chart will be....

Clarke/Aldridge/Harrison-Docks
    Dunham/Hopkins/Stigall
    Jones
    Marshall/Woods
    Smith/Fromm

I am very confidant in the fact the Clarke will be playing the point next season. He has been working on his ball handling skills all offseason and should be the primary 1 guard. However, I can also see Brad starting Aldridge at the point, Clarke at the 2 and Dunham coming off the bench

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,392
    Definitely a reasonable lineup. I still think at least one of Aldridge or Hopkins will emerge as a very good player by the end of this year and will be starting at one of the guard spots pushing Dunham to backup at the 2 and some at the 3 (with Woods also getting minutes at the 3).

3. PDT1242

PDT1242 Member

Money:
    $68
    Smeathers is a pine rider? Do you or anyone give him or anyone else not mentioned any chance of seeing time?

4. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    I feeling with smeathers is that he had one good game. Every other time he has stepped on the court, he has been awful. If he can prove that he can hit open 3's and play some D. I'd be happy to see him play

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,392
    That's not what I said. I'm not predicting anyone not listed above to get regular minutes, but that doesn't mean I'm counting them out. We have 13 scholarship players next year, not everyone is going to get minutes. I have to leave some players out when predicting a rotation.

6. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $306
    Rainbows and kittens (best case scenario) lineup:

1. Roosevelt Jones
    2. Rotnei Clarke
    3. Kellen Dunham
    4. Khyle Marshall
    5. Andrew Smith

6. Woods/Aldridge
    SS: Smeathers/Fromm
    Def: Morgan

------
    I can't imagine Hopkins not transferring after the year with how he's been jacked around. There was a little talk of it mid-year last year.

7. rusty23

rusty23 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Assuming Hopkins stays:

PG Clarke
    SG Hopkins
    SF Dunham
    PF Marshall
    C Smith

G/F Jones
    F Woods
    G Aldridge
    F/C Fromm
    G/F Smeathers

Dunham's size (6'5) means he can play SF and be on the floor at the same time with Hopkins at SG.

8. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,059
    Clarke
    Dunham
    Jones
    Marshall
    Smith

Woods
    Aldridge
    Stigall
    Fromm
    Hopkins

There is going to be a lot of guys vying for minutes next year. Competition in practice will be intense.

9. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,677
    Source?

10. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,122
    Brad was quoted as saying Jones is going to see more and more time at the point guard position. I am beginning to see why. He is very strong and sure with the ball, a threat to drive and his assist to turnover ratio is one of the best in the nation. (It was actually #1 before Stanford) Only problem with this is he doesn't have an outside game and I would think defenders would lay off of him even more than they do Ron.

11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,059
    I think that's ok because his ability to drive to the basket and FINISH is much much better than Ron's. Jones is a guy that if you look at the stat sheet you're not that impressed but he does everything (but shoot) well. I can't wait to see him continue to develop.

12. grtfldead

grtfldead New Member

Money:
    $5
    I would be VERY surprised if Hopkins transferred. I personally don't think that's going to happen. Just a hunch but he's in a great learning environment on and off the court. We need him, too. Our strength will be in all of our players developing and having a deep bench.

No matter how good you are in HS, the transition to college both elevates your game and diminishes it at the same time. Most don't come right in and contribute at a high level. By next year, we'll have a deeper bench to rely on as the new guys get adjusted in 2012-13. Who knows who'll be playing the most minutes....banking on being one of those guys will keep him in the "game" at Butler, I imagine.

13. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    Alright, I know this is off topic, but I am sick of Andy Smeathers. The kid had ONE good game from behind the arc. And it was against Oakland City. Besides for that game, he has gone 4-18 from 3 point land. I do not understand why everyone loves him. He is not a good shooter

14. swimr1313

swimr1313 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Outside of the Stanford game (3-6) Stigall has shot very poorly from behind the arc in the month of December. If you were to tally Stigall's percentage it would most likely be very comparable if not worse.

15. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Sounds obvious, but it is a matter of getting shots to drop. He is typically on line with his shots, which is just a matter of watching a couple go through the bottom of the net. That said, it is hard to do that with spot minutes and taking 30ftrs at the end of the half.

16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,392
    I disagree with those who want to see Smeathers get extended playing time, but I do think he is a very good shooter. 18 shots is obviously a small sample size on top of being selective. I still view him as a project and I think he should only make appearances in offensive heavy situations.

17. butlerbulldogfan

butlerbulldogfan New Member

Money:
    $5
    Disagree. Hes been given chances and he plays too fast and makes too many turnovers. I expected him be a scoring machine like in high school. But I cant figure out why hes not.

18. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    I think Marshall, Smith, Jones, Stigall, and Nored have emerged as the defacto starting five. Hop and woods off the bench with a little Aldridge and Fromm depending on the situation rounds out the core. I have no issues with this line up and rotation besides the fact that Marshall needs more PT. I think Stigall will be key to the success of this team going forward. If he start shooting 35% or greater, we can extend some D's and provide this team with the 3 pt threat it has been lacking.

19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,392
    I don't feel like Stigall deserves to be starting. To be honest, I don't want to see him playing much at all. He just doesn't bring anything to the table right now and really never has, so I don't have hope that it will change. He doesn't shoot, pass, rebound, or defend well. The only thing he really does is provide spacing to the offense (because for some reason other teams seem to not want him to shoot the 3).

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Going a step further...there really needs to be discussion if you bring him back for that 5th year? Especially when looking at what will be in front of him in terms of talent at the position he plays.

Scholarships are one year renewable items in this day and age of college basketball. Stigall and Smeathers are redundant on next years team. Brad may have to do some dirty work there that I know he probably hates to do, but there are holes in the frontline that have to be addressed.

This team has got to upgrade it's Post play. Or at least have more options. Woods is still too light and Marshall is too small to guard the post. They shouldn't be asked to play that position anyway. It's not their natural spot. Smith and Fromm need another Post to compete with next year for PT. I looked at the Top 100 JUCO's still available and it is dry. Maybe three or four Posts and those guys all probably have warts if they are still unsigned. We have to do something though. The guard play should be upgraded with Rot, Kellen, CHD and Devontae. Really risky gamble IMO for us to think we will just have maturation and improvement from the BIGS cause they are a year older.