Starting 5.....2012-2013?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Three Specks, Dec 21, 2011.

1. gutshot

gutshot New Member

Money:
    $5
    I'll admit I saw a small sample of the ProAm, but what I did see was Hop getting dominated on both ends by John Hart. Also, you have to remember that Pro Am is nothing more than a glorified pick up game. [hr]
    I want Hopkins to land somewhere and do well. Has anyone heard where he might end up?

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,281
    Hopkins played well in the pro am, but he did the previous year as well, against what was probably better competition that year.

That said, I would have been shocked if he wasn't starting. Only way I could have seen it is if Dunham was just unstoppable.

3. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $736
    Had a dream last night that Butler was getting lit up in some big game. They brought Dunham in and he immediately chucked a deep 3 and hit it. Then we turned the other team over and hit Dunham in the corner where he buried another one. The crowd went ballistic.

Two really cool (and realistic) things from this dream:
    1. Dunham can score at will in bunches.
    2. The crowd is going to really love the kid, especially because he is a local guy. They will get crazy when he lights it up.

4. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I like Stevens the way he is and what he is doing. He is good for Butler. Calipari is good for Kentucky which apparently wants one and done players to feed the NBA and win National Championships. But I would not call any of his players student athletes. If Kentucky is your ideal you might want to spend more time on their boards.

5. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $306
    I suppose explaining continuum to you would be a waste of time, right?

6. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Yes

7. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Thanks for sharing this video! Doesn't sound like Brad has written off Aldridge like some of the fellow posters. What other board were you referring to?

8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,281
    I don't think you understand how many I delete.

9. Eddie Cabot

Eddie Cabot New Member

Money:
    $5
    It's fairly complicated ... took me months to fully understand. This will help explain the basics. Continuum

10. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    Stopped by practice yesterday. Not much that can be gleaned from the first one, and I didn't stay long, but I'll give my two cents.

Not surprisingly, they worked on defense mostly. Group was very intense and lots of effort and talk. Team chemistry already looks positive.

Clarke is much more fit than I expected. Very lean and looks in great shape. He also was quicker than expected, and made several nice defensive plays (didnt think Id see that).

Dunham is more built and generally bigger than I would have thought.

Woods and Marshall look thicker. Former is still very wiry but he looked explosive on defense and taking it to the hole. Marshall looks in terrific shape and had a couple of nice blocks. Smith looks in good shape as well.

Smeathers and Stigall have grown out their hair, the former's hair is down to his shoulders practically.

Jack looked like he was hobbling but his handle looked good. More composed than down the stretch last year.

Barlow looks fit again but I did not see him make any open threes, though I wasnt there for long. Had good defense again, but if he wants to play, he needs to be able to hit that shot. Conversely, Smeathers and Stigall had good strokes, the latter much better than last year.

11. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    What were your impressions of Devontae Morgan?

12. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    With the season a few days away, I have been talking to people inside the program and have come to a final prediction of the rotation based off what I have heard...
    (I have not delegated PG or SG positions, everyone is just a guard)
    G- Clarke/Barlow/CHD
    G- Dunham/Aldridge/Stigall
    G-Jones/Morgan
    F- Marshall/Woods/Fromm
    C-Smith

As a side note. CHD may never see the floor this year. I have heard nothing positive about him or his game (Poor shooting, bad decision making, does not move the ball vertically at all, arrogant). Barlow, I was told, will get 10+ minutes a game, he has been playing really well with Clarke

13. steelydan

steelydan New Member

Money:
    $5
    I've heard that Brad described Dunham as "slow" when asked how he was doing. Makes me wonder if they'll throw out a starting lineup of Clarke, Jones, Woods, Marshall and Smith, and have Dunham come off the bench for scoring burst (a la Pete Campbell)

14. Coogles

Coogles Active Member

Money:
    $63
    I watched about 10-15 minutes of practice during Homecoming, had a few brief (and honestly worthless) impressions, but FWIW -

Smith - wasn't on the floor.

Stigall - looks the same aside from the mop on his head.

Clarke - is as advertised. He can shoot it, handles the ball like a PG, and more than once beat his man using a ball screen to force rotation before dumping the ball to a forward for an easy layup. He's good. He's not Jimmer.

Fromm - looked mostly the same. He was playing the 5 the whole time and looked fairly comfortable in the post, but I would guess that was because he had Marshall on him the whole time.

Marshall - his handles look better. He pulled down a rebound and immediately put the ball on the floor for 4-5 dribbles while moving quickly up the floor before outletting to a guard. Otherwise he scored mainly on dump-offs. Didn't get to see him do too much else.

Aldridge - really suprised. He looked like the 2nd best guard out on the floor in what little I saw. His body looks better, he looked quick, and he was constantly attacking.

Smeathers - still scrawny and his hair is disgusting. He didn't do anything on either end in what little I saw.

Jones - didn't see much from him, either.

Woods - definitely looks better from a physical standpoint. His shot still looks gawd-awful.

Barlow - he did look leaner, but didn't do much of anything in those 10ish minutes.

CHD - pretty much as 3Specks said. Loved to dribble, but never did much with it. When he did try to be aggressive, the result was usually bad. Not particularly quick or strong.

Morgan - handles the ball like a PG. Didn't see him shoot, but he's quick off the bounce and his free throws looked solid. Looks like he can probably make an open shot as advertised. A more refined (freshman to freshman), taller Vanzant is probably about spot-on.

Dunham - wasn't on the court in those 10-15 minutes.

If it isn't Dunham, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Aldridge in that starting lineup. Morgan looks like he'll see minutes.

15. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $306
    I wish I was wrong about CHD when we were all having those arguments, but that's just kind of who he is. Never understood the offer, in particular, after Morgan committed.

----
    On the other, I think it has to be Dunham if for nothing more than Clarke's preservation. The junk defenses could be comical.

Dunham has to be Shelvin Mack productive too.

16. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    Yea, I was originally very high on CHD. I will admit that you were right about this one Title, I was wrong. That being said, I do believe that CHD can find a role on this team, assuming he is willing to work for that role

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120
    Aldridge was always attacking last year as well, which is why he got so many charges called on him. Hopefully he's a little smarter with that and then he really could be a big help to the Dawgs. Be great to have 2 guys that could handle the ball on the floor.

From what I'd heard in the radio interviews from Brad it sounded like some of these guys had made some big leaps from last year, but it sounds like it may need to be slightly tempered until we see them on the floor against actual competition. I'll maintain that they're still 2 years away from another tourney appearance unless Clarke just goes bonkers in the A-10 tournament or for pretty much the entire season.

18. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    I find it comical to see the pessimism on this board.

We had an off year in 2011 because we couldnt hit a shot to save our lives. We had no outside threat and, therefore, the opposing teams could pack it in. Our defense remained solid.

We lost basically nothing (all apologies to Ron, who regressed), gained more experience, and, most importantly, added buckets of outside shooting. Yet we will be lucky to barely slip into the tournament?

Please. We may not be world beaters, but this team has a great look about them. We are very strong down low with post presence and rebounders (four of them, at least), and now can add excellent outside shooting. Title may point to the lack of penetration, but I think that will come with Rosie and Aldrige off the bench.

Just wait.

19. HinkleBall

HinkleBall New Member

Money:
    $5
    Totally agree. This board is a downer..."CHD is cocky...I heard Dunham is slow...Woods' shot is awful...Rotei is not Jimmer.". Waa Waa. Youve never even watched them play a real game together. Hope u all set your personal expectations higher than u do for Butler. They are going to be great. How do I know? Because I do.

20. beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat New Member

Money:
    $5
    High comdedy.