Thad's Staff

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by SpringDawg, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    Thad has done this before and whatever he did worked incredibly well. He's going to go after people he thinks can do the job well and are loyal. Other than Nored, I dont really see him going for previous players that he likely has had minimal contact with. I'm not as familiar with his assistant coaching pool he's used in the past but I trust whoever he picks because he's done this before. He has intimate knowledge of what went on between Fife and Woodson so even if he brings Fife in (long time Izzo assistant) I am all for it. #InThadWeTrust

Now if a different HC was chosen, I think we would be a little more picky on who could be on staff.

2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,862
    He’s a current HS coach. Nothing against Hahn, but no. That’s old Butler. New Butler came into existence this morning.

The only reason you hire a current HS coach is if he happens to be coaching a 5-star player. Shady but happens all the time.

3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,216
    Well, he was TJD’s HS coach. And he is undecided about next year. (No, there is no way Thad would do this)

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,862
    A 5-star who will be around multiple years, but you do make a good point.

5. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $562
    Kyle Brumett led Wabash to the D3 final four this year. I wonder how long before he's on a bench somewhere in D1.

6. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,189
    This is the play.

Have to think the “recruiting” assistants are in the fold here ASAP, given the state of our roster and the fast moving Portal

joliebeth23 and dippper61 like this.
  7. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $385
    Anyone remember Kuwik?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BJK likes this.
  8. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    There’s the Stevens connection with Barlow. That would possibly put him in the mix as well.

dawgs2014 likes this.

#60 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,505
  10. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,005
    He’s as “old Butler” as Ron. Thad’s even older.

11. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    #60 likes this.
  12. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,325
    In addition to the 3 AC’s, I wouldn’t be surprised if part of that $900k went towards a S&C coach, a 4th advisor AC, and an analytics squint.

DawgPoundMac and 2xDawg like this.
  13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,325
    I have no idea if Nored or Barlow want to college or NBA HC’s (if I were in their shoes, I wouldn’t know where I wanted to be either), but if they do want to be P6 HC’s, they likely do have to coach in college beforehand. For example, look at Shrews. He had a better resume than either of them to be a college HC, but had to return to Purdue again before getting the job at PSU. Ball is in their court

14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,317
    PSU means “old way of doing business”……

A Big East team should generally not be hiring high school coaches to assistant coaching positions.

15. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,016
    Really really interested to see how this all comes together.

Butler guys
    • Ron would be awesome, and if the tweet about the bump in the assistant coach pool is true we might be able to make the money work. But I don't know if he'd leave the NBA for a college assistant job
    • I hope Ragland sticks around. Liked his resume when he was first hired, was the lead recruiter on Turnbull, and I think he was fairly involved with Simas if I remember correctly
    • Barlow's NBA experience in player development could be a nice asset
    • Matthew Graves return? Associate HC at ISU now. I'm not necessarily in favor of it but there is familiarity there
    • With the budget increase I think I aim higher then any of the other alums out there in the coaching world right now
    Former Thad ACs
    • Greg Paulus - HC at Niagara but has struggled winning. From what I found, he ran the offense at OSU. But he's a Dukie...
    • David Dickerson - HC at USC Upstate, similar position as Paulus with struggling. With Thad at OSU as associate head coach. Also was an assistant at Maryland for Gary Williams where he recruited Steve Francis and Chris Wilcox
    • Alan Major - coached two different number 1 pick big men in Michael Olawokandi and Greg Oden. Had some health issues but seem to be resolved now. Not sure I'd want to have 2 guys on staff with former health issues but he's got some nice experience.

And then there are all the other informal connections out there. I wouldn't be shocked if we get 3 guys not on this list at all. But I am confident it will be a top tier staff and likely the best one we've had since Holtmann

#60, bmradio99 and Hinkle like this.
  16. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    Ragland (continuity), Barlow (Collier, Matta, Stevens tree), Dickerson (Holtmann like assistant with Matta familiarity) is my informal, unfounded guess.

DawgPoundMac, NCJon, BigHoss and 2 others like this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    This is going to be the most interesting two weeks of Butler basketball in the last two years, with what I expect to be a flurry of staff and transfer news.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,317
    Thanks for putting this list together.

While I don’t think Ragland is not worthy of retention, I kind of just want a clean start. If Turnbull and Simas don’t want to play for Thad, I don’t think Ragland is going to be a deal breaker either way. The entire last year was just a terrible, terrible season and I’d like to start over.

I think if we truly have a 900 k assistant pool, Barlow, for many reasons, is almost negligent not to put as one of the assistants. Then use the other two spots on proven recruiters.

19. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,016
    Understand the fresh start thought. My desire to keep Ragland isn't so much about keeping those 2 though as it is they were the type of players he was able to help bring in in a very short time frame.

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,317
    Yeah that makes sense. Certainly his work here was really good on the recruiting trail. If Thad thinks he’s the best guy for the job, it should be him-but I don’t want him to stay to try to influence guys who may be on the ledge.

One thing I love about Thad is his name means something. He gives us credibility. If someone doesn’t want to be here, I think he’s the type of guy who can always get someone else that’s good in to replace them.

That being said, I’d be overjoyed to have Simas back and hope Turnbull gives us a shot as well.

HoosierDawg, huss587 and bmradio99 like this.