Thad's Staff

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by SpringDawg, Apr 3, 2022.

1. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,424
    What I’ve seen Thad do in a month’s time with a program on the fritz of irrelevancy, tells me everything I need to know about his ability. That’s a top 5 coach in America. Obviously results have to come on the court but I have no doubts they will.

Butler will be a top 25 team next season and that’s insane given the state of the program on March 30th.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    Good list (I’d have Pitino higher if I’m nitpicking, but yeah he’s sort of irrelevant given his school.) I do think Beard could ultimately prove to be elite - like potentially Bill Self level. But his resume isn’t long enough yet. I’m definitely not taking Cronin or Altman over Thad. Painter and Barnes are great, as are guys like Oats and Muss and Huggins (Huggins is on my all-underrated team), but they’ve not had quite the level of sustained success Thad has.

3. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $783
    Huggins is easily in the top 8 of current coaches.

He would’ve had a title at Cincinnati if it weren’t for Kenyon Martin getting hurt.

Then had deshaun butler get hurt vs Duke in the final four.

You don’t get 900 wins without knowing how to be a great coach

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,241
    So what's the update on Self and Kansas? Thought there was going to be action taken once the Dance was over (penalties that should have been enforced long before.) Didn't Self agree to stick around and coach Kansas and not move elsewhere during their anticipated upcoming probation year(s).....since the violations were during his tenure? The NCAA is such a toothless, feckless organization these days. From one extreme to another. Remember years ago they laughingly suspended Steve Alford for several games for posing on a sorority charity fundraising calendar (totally ridiculous and unfair, and I'm not particularly an Alford or I.U. fan). And now today, their total ineptitude and malpractice is on display while attempting to govern and "oversee" the wild west show that is now college sports. Out of control. So will Kansas ever be penalized? What exactly is the delay? The facts are in.

tcdtcd likes this.
  5. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,817
    It's an impressive list to be a part of for sure. My feeling is this- Whether Matta belongs in the top 8, top 5 or higher, winning conference titles consistently in the Big Ten is no joke no matter which school you're coaching, competing with the best shouldn't be an issue ( health permitting.)

He's already shown everyone that his way works, and that includes the players he's convinced to come play for Butler. The one thing to take note of now is that he's still relatively young for a coach, so in theory he could have more opportunities to make a title run compared to half of those guys on the list. The best part is he's also not likely to jump ship for another school, so Butler could essentially have a window that won't be closing for awhile, and success will not lead to another heartbreak. There are no guarantees of course, but I'm compelled to believe that I'll have a chance to see another Final Four run before Matta retires.

6. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,576
    What's the difference between a Coordinator of Basketball Operations and a Director of Basketball Operations?

314Dawg likes this.
  7. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $990
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,811
    I'm gonna guess at least $25,000.

9. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $360
    one directs and one coordinates

10. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,404
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,583
    As I've said, I think it's a mistake for Ragland but if he thinks it's the right move for him, good luck. Hopefully the kids he helped bring in understand this decision and don't get any curious ideas.

cornette33 and dawgs2014 like this.
  12. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    On the negative side, we're losing a great assistant. On the positive side, we have something to talk about again.

jeff, cornette33 and bmradio99 like this.
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,626
    I mean, I kept getting poo-pooed when I brought up the possibility. Evansville has 3-4 scholarships to burn. While I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would follow him down there (especially at this late stage), it does beg the question. I think someone like Mulloy or Hughes could benefit from the additional playing minutes, so maybe?

We're definitely in need of a new assistant, a dynamic recruiter and maybe a scholarship or two opens up. Who knows?

14. NCJon

Money:
    $9,811
    So does Oden or Diebler get promoted or does Matta bring in someone else?

Happy for Ragland even though I think that's a really awful job right now. Head coaching opportunities aren't guaranteed and it's his hometown, so I can see the pull.

znelson15 likes this.
  15. NCJon

Money:
    $9,811
    Evansville has five open scholarships. It's going to be a rough year.

16. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $990
    No matter what, we should all assume we get someone kick ass who is available at this point. Matta hasn't disappointed with decisions to date.

I'll make the first guess - Roy Williams

No - Jay Wright

No wait - Brad Stevens (most don't know this but they actually have a previous connection)

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,978
    Good for him. Not sure how it will go (it will be a challenge putting it mildly, and building a staff at this time isn't ideal), but you truly never know when a head coaching opportunity might come up, especially in your hometown. As for Butler's roster, we'll see, but unless he was the only reason some of these guys were coming to Butler, I would at least be surprised at any roster turnover given Big East vs. MVC (not a bad league, but a significant step down).

Will be interesting to see what they do for this last assistant role. Obviously a strong recruiter would be great given the current staff seemingly being stronger on the player development side, but I don't know who they might bring in. Good news is Matta is well connected and the position seems to be well funded (and there's little competition out there for assistants other than Evansville), so if there is someone out there worth the time, hopefully we can bring them on.

cornette33 likes this.
  18. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $580
    Will be interesting who we land to replace him. Dane Fife still appears to be unemployed so that could potentially be a possibility. Would imagine we had to pay up to get Peagues so maybe we wouldn't have the funds for another well-known/high $ guy. Dave Dickerson was thrown around last month, but would think we'd be targeting more of a recruiter, not necessarily an older/more experienced coach like Dickerson. Thad obviously has his own connections so I'd imagine it's someone out of the blue like Peagues was (meaning no BU connection).

cornette33 likes this.
  19. NCJon

Money:
    $9,811
    I could see one or two of the bench players transferring after the upcoming season, depending on how the year goes. It could be a potentially decent landing spot for a player looking for more minutes who already has a good relationship with Rags. It'd be truly shocking to see anyone go now though, since they would have to sit the upcoming season and most of the players I'm thinking about still have their Covid bonus year available.

Mr X likes this.
  20. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,234
    Understand the draw for Rags but not sure this is a career building job—lots of obstacles not the least of the university is not on solid ground. Don’t see anyone following him this year if ever. TBH wouldn’t mind seeing someone from the BU tree filling this role—understand Thad’s a BU guy, but a connection to the Final 4 teams feels right to me. Khyle Marshall anyone?