Thad's Staff

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by SpringDawg, Apr 3, 2022.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,189
    I’ll take trusting Matta AND Izzo over Woodson

2. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    Matta and Fife are 2 freaking heavy hitters. Compare that with the last 5 years my people!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $770
    If Fife is correct, we're at all-out war against IU.
    Rumors are Barry was trying to get a buyout deal w/ Jordan before April 1. Matta was in conversations with Barry in March and Woodson heard whispers of Matta. Matta was talking with Fife which lead to the break-up.
    This is a classic soap opera, and I LOVE IT!
    It won't happen, but I now want Nored on this staff even more, if to only eat up the media and walk in right behind Woodson at every home recruiting visit. Nored would be that thorn in IU & PU's side, taking over Chicagoland, KY & IN.
    Let Fife coach, Matta organize and Nored hype the BU train to infinity and beyond!
    I can dream, right?!?!

4. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    The only thing I keep thinking about is that college assistant jobs pay better than NBA ones do. That is one thing that they could have going for them if they want Nored.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  5. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,742
    From Fife's Wikipedia page:

Fife brought the defensive intensity he possessed as a player to his role as a coach, as the Spartans held opponents below a .400 field-goal percentage from 2011–2015, including ranking second nationally in both 2015–16 (.382) and in 2011–12 (.379), marking the best effort by MSU since 1959. He is also instrumental in MSU's scouting and recruiting efforts.

I'll take that on our bench any day!

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,921
    Yeah my first impression on Fife is that it would likely be short-term before he hopped off to a bigger program (should the opportunity arise). Outside of that, it would be a great hire, IMO. Still would like to keep Ragland as well, then if you can get a Barlow or Marshall or a younger guy with connections to the program, that would probably be the best staff Butler's had in a very long time top to bottom.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Dane-Fife-1339/AllTimeRecruits/

DawgPoundMac and estar20dawg like this.
  7. tobystorrs

tobystorrs Active Member

Money:
    $175
    This Fife news is almost too much. Anybody verify it beyond the Collegian tweet?

8. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $561
    Interesting speculation. I did see that Izzo's associate head coach was just announced as the HC at WMU. Fife could potentially re-unite with Izzo as well.

9. tedfrye

tedfrye Well-Known Member

Money:
    $479
    100%

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

estar20dawg likes this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,862
    So I guess LaVall didn’t get that job?

11. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    If you watched any IU games this year, the most impressive part was their defense (AdjD #24 according to Kenpom). Sounds like Fife was a big part of that.

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $234
    Fife would be an amazing get. IU alumni. Been recruiting high talent all over the midwest for many years. He also relates to the players well. Almost so much that he isn't vey business professional but whatever. Also the rumor of Fife wanting Lander to Start and Woodson saying no might be true and we could see Lander in a Butler Uni as well.

DawgPoundMac, estar20dawg and BigHoss like this.
  13. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,694
    I know that IU fans would be livid if Fife were to be added to our staff, so that alone has me on board with the idea.

14. m4795

m4795 Member

Money:
    $153
    On an episode of Field of 68 Goodman said Matta would take notes at practice and give them to Woodson who wouldn't read them. A lot of the rumors were Fife was the problem not Woodson, but that might not be the case.

15. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $147
    Absolutely not. Need someone who was doing this type of ish before it was above board for a long time.

The Visit Indy interns can stay in the dawg pound

dawgs2014 and ButlerHomer like this.
  16. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,512
    I believe Fife was instrumental in getting Gary Harris, Aaron Henry and Jaren Jackson to Michigan State. Even if he was useless as a coach (he is not), not having to compete against him for recruits is a win.

17. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,016
    That's what the "few professional staff members" are for. You've got the legal and compliance people that know how this works and what they can and can't do while leveraging student enthusiasm on the marketing and cold call/lead gen side.

tobystorrs likes this.
  18. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638

I hope the situation with Dane Fife at IU was simply a matter of him getting the shaft by Woodson, I don't know too much about his coaching style.....But you all know I LOVE me some defense, so I'll take a shot on that. If Matta believes it, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

ButlerProf likes this.
  19. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,272
    Let's also remember Fife was BIG 10 defensive player of the year his senior year.

DawgPoundMac and estar20dawg like this.
  20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,317
    He was on Izzo’s staff for ten years. I don’t want to make that something it’s not, but if he were a problem it would be surprising if he were retained for that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops