The Bigger Picture

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by nindiana, Mar 2, 2019.

1. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    I apologize for not being positive about this situation, I hope I don’t have my BU degree revoked. I’m struggling to be optimistic about the bigger picture here.

It sure feels like this program has run on fumes the last 2 years and is now on the side of the highway, out of gas.

We’ve recruited horribly for years, whether or not people want to believe that, and it’s caught up to us. We’re just not that good. Our coach isn’t that good. We spend the least amount of money in the Big East. Are we content with being just another team in a somewhat major conference? Or will we strive to become the next Nova? It sure feels like we have plateaued (and that’s being generous). If things don’t change, this season is what you’ll get year in year out.

I’ll gladly give LaVall next year. We need at least a LITTLE continuity. But we’ve GOT to show major improvement, avoid the bubble, and knock it out of the park in the 2020 class for me to be a believer. And no, I don’t think we can count on Bryce Nze and Khalif Battle to be our “saviors”. Rag on Title all you want, but he’s right - we’ve got to spend more money on the program. Is that a university decision? An athletic department decision? I’m not sure. But looking at this current staff of assistants, I’m not sure how Barry wrote off on it. Do we have a proven scheme guy? A proven recruiter? I can’t say we do. With an unproven head coach you’d at least think we’d put more money in to having assistants who can fill the gaps. The West Gym improvements are okay, but still leaps and bounds behind major programs.

Spend the money, get proven coaches and recruiters, have a successful program. Until that happens, the future looks bleak. We can’t put on “the Butler way” colored glasses, close our eyes, and hope we magically take the next step. Prove me wrong.

In the meantime, I’ll wait to be roasted by the perpetually optimistic fanboys. I hope I’m proved wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976
  3. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    IT'S ALL OVER. MIGHT AS WELL FOLD THE UNIVERSITY WHILE WE'RE AT IT.

Some of you people need to get a grip.

4. dawgman

dawgman Member

Money:
    $78
    We are looking at the Big East basement. If you see a path out of there in the coming year(s), I'm anxious to learn about it.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,640
    We had one top BE player this year and nine second string BE players. Tough to play physically when your four is 185-190 pounds and your most seasoned Big can't jump. I'm not sure what offense you could run with this roster. AT needs to learn how to shoot a jump shot if we have any hope going forward. He can slash and get to the rim but when he gets to an open shot he can't make it. I thought he had good form until I watched how he cradles the ball underneath and not on the side. Unless he changes how he shoots he won't be as good as he could be or as good as we need. We need big athletic players in the worst way.

6. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,697
    We have more talent and athleticism than ever, but we need to get better there? We need to find the glue guys and forget about the stars! Yes we need to improve the guys we get, but not miss on the ones were missing, the guys that ties it all together and makes the parts better than the whole. Might be a guy that wakes up from this year or one coming in next year, but that's all we need. (Like Georgetown and St John's for the past 4-5 years, who had way better "talent" than us, but who's butt we kicked.)

jeff likes this.
  7. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $280
    I said it in another post. I am so sick and tired of “the Butler way”. How about we focus on being the Gonzaga way, or the nova way. If we
    Can’t spend what it takes to be competitive then get out of the big east and go back to A10. We should have never left anyway.

I agree that LaVall should get at least one more year (probably 2 if I am being totally honest). It took Wojo like 5 years until he got Marquette to where they are now.

cornette33 likes this.
  8. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $87
    I agree “The Butler Way” is damn annoying. Humility and servanthood have never won a basketball game.

Not happy with coach or staff at all... but I’d agree that you give it another year. BUT if it’s February and the team’s in the same, or a worse position than this year... then I think ya gotta admit this hasn’t worked and pull the plug...I’m terrified we’re going to hang on for 2-3 years too long because we believe in “Butler guys” and being “gritty not pretty.”

Would love to be proved wrong... but the offense has been a tire fire the last two years. Go back and watch games from last year and we’re in the same position at the end of a lot of possessions, except we had Kelan to bail us out with a deep 3 or being able to barrel into the lane and make something happen. We don’t have that this year and it doesn’t feel like we adjust at all for the loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33 likes this.
  9. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $87
    Tentozen likes this.
  10. kmacker69

Money:
    $3,697
    Sick and tired of the Butler way? :rolleyes:o_O:confused: That is the cornerstone of the program and if your sick of it then you might be following the wrong team.

11. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $962
    DePaul was the basement team for so many yrs. I would not say Leito is that great of a coach. Their fans wanted him gone this past off season. They have worked the transfer market, they built a new arena and they got a new assistant or two one of which has attracted a bunch of highly rated transfers and new signees.

Butler has seemed to replace them in the standings and while Depaul isn't perfect they are trending up. I have no ideas what their facilities are like but they are passing us up.

What does DePaul spend compared to others in the BE? Do we have a 1-10 list?

Fix facilities, spend more and get another assistant if we are going to keep the current staff another two yrs.

What if Ryan Pedon was our current coach? What would our record be this year and would we be in the same position? Would he have brought in a better staff?

12. cornette33

Money:
    $962
    I think the announcers just use the phrase way too much.

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,270
    I cringe a little every time I see someone get sanctimonious about "The Butler Way." As an ideal, it's absolutely great. But when people start believing that it's anything more than an ideal, well, that's going down a road that's rife with danger.

I've said it in other threads and I'll repeat it here: I think LJ deserves a couple more years because I fundamentally believe two things: First, good coaches - even great ones - learn from experience. Only time will tell whether he learns from the experiences of the last two seasons, but the only way to find out is to give it time. Second, coaches deserve the opportunity to both get their players in the program and to develop them over two to three seasons. The 2019 class is functionally his first full recruiting class. Barring some absolute catastrophe of a season, which I do not see this one as, I will withhold judgment until he's had a chance to get his 2019 and 2020 classes up and running.

I've also said that I think it would be a good idea to make some adjustments to the assistant coaching staff and I think bringing in someone with head coaching experience should probably be priority number one. I'm mostly comfortable with how LJ is doing with recruiting so far.

14. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Member

Money:
    $68
    This will likely be unpopular. The “new” Big East is young. Some team occupies the basement of every conference. Case in point: Northwestern has been the “door mat” in the Big 10 for decades. That’s not the aspiration. Yet, look at them now. There’s hope. All is not lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. cornette33

Money:
    $962
    Northwestern is back in last place in the Big Ten. 3-14 in conference. 12-16 overall.

bmradio99, IndyDawgs and willisbrown like this.
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    Lmao

17. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    I will be happy to be proved wrong. Will gladly eat crow. What reasons do I have to be optimistic, THEEFORFER13? What gives you hope that we will correct the currency trajectory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. cornette33

Money:
    $962
    Ok this will make u sick. NW has a top 40 recruiting class for 2019 and is ranked 4th in the Big Ten. We can't do better than them? Ugh.

19. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $280
    At this point the Butler way is just words. U can keep saying it, but unless it equates into wins it means nothing. I love butler. I love butler basketball.

I guess I am just tired of hearing it. At this point it’s like when someone yells for everyone to hustle and then walks back on Defesne. I just want this team to play hard and with the passion that is the “Butler way”. Until then, I don’t want to hear it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Butler_Boatdawgs456 likes this.
  20. kmacker69

Money:
    $3,697
    Ok I can understand that sentiment. I get tired of them butchering it also. Peace.