The Bigger Picture

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by nindiana, Mar 2, 2019.

1. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

That was literally the only game in the past few weeks. Also I'm not saying that they actually hate each other, but lately on the court you can't say that the body language hasn't been good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $108
    Do you think that being something like 2-18 from 3 over the last 5 games had something to do with it? THAT was very uncharacteristic. It is really hard to want something to come together so much and then not have it happen. They've been pressing and carrying the weight of the Butler basketball world on their shoulders. Imagine having the pressure of the reactions from "fans" like some of those on this board as you were trying to figure out and do your job (at 19 or 21!) Imagine feeling guilty about a coach you really like and respect getting raked over the coals because you aren't winning enough. I know that is what they signed up for, but it doesn't make it any easier. The X game was so wonderful because they got the brief return to things going their way again for a minute. Kamar's exhale and look to the rafters/heavens after one of his first half 3's went in pretty much summed it up for me.

joliebeth23, DawgFan, BUcheer and 4 others like this.
  3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,571
    One of the things I keep circling back to, thinking about this season, is how this team was made up of players recruited by four different head coaches. Yeah, Nate committed to Brandon Miller and then had Holt as his coach, but Butler was recruiting him pretty seriously under Stevens. There was debate about whether he or Derrik Smits should be Butler's priority at center in that class.

And because Butler is Butler - and one of the reasons I am a fan - the culture wouldn't allow any of those coaches to do a wholesale roster makeover. Even if it did, I don't think Miller, Holtmann or Jordan are the kinds of coaches that would force a kid out just to make room on the roster.

Sure there has been some turnover related to all the coaching changes, but it has seemed from the outside like the player driving the decision, not the other way around.

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,128
    Agree. I never would have connected Fowler to Stevens before I heard Fowler mention in one of the Big East videos that his first visit was for the Gonzaga game.

5. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $799
    Two words "No Leadership". Leadership counts, good teams have good leadership on the court.

jal8908 and HinkleMagic319 like this.
  6. HinkleMagic319

HinkleMagic319 Member

Money:
    $110
    Hustle plays that don’t go into the stat book matter. Your one of those guys who doesn’t get basketball so I understand

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,128
    I'll take knowing how to spell and being a decent human being over "getting" basketball, thanks.

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,947
    For the record I think your track record suggests you also get basketball quite well too

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,790
    Michael Pointer is returning as our beat writer?

10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,571
    I laughed pretty good at that, but I still feel like some of y'all were way too hard on him.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,779
    Only bad news to me would be if Battles asks for a release, LJ resigns or if KB, Golden, Nze, Sean, David or Hastings transfer. The rest are meh.

12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,426
    Don't forget welshing on bets shows what kind of character and honor some have.

13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,128

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,947
    The best pointer moment (it’s not even close) imo was when he wrote that Belle Obert was dating Kellen Dunham. Belle is of course engaged to Alex Barlow.

People were to hard on him, he was actually a nice guy in person.

NCJon likes this.
  15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,947
    He also did not get that I was making fun of him even though I wrote *1 rebounds* twice

Tentozen, ButlerNut and estar20dawg like this.
  16. bwesson15

bwesson15 Active Member

This is off topic, but Creighton just had one of the worst last possessions I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

17. jal8908

jal8908 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,070
    To me, the biggest issue for this team was that between inexperience on the coaching staff, inexperience on the roster (overall and guys in new roles), and a lack of on court leadership, we had a razor thin margin for error. Let's say we win half the coin flip games we lost and get IU and then 2 of vs Seton hall, @ Xavier, @ St John's, vs Providence, we wind up 19-13 / 9-9. Looks a lot better right? Unfortunately, we couldn't convert those and so here we are.

For next year, the big things I'm looking for are:
    1. Who steps up and becomes the leader on the court? I think Thompson should be that guy but we'll see. We desperately missed Wideman in that role this year.
    2. LJ continues to grow and evolve as a coach, mixing in some things for this specific roster in addition to his ideal system that we tried to unsuccessfully run this year.
    3. Brunk learns how to at at least be decent defending the Pick and Roll and Tucker picks his defensive awareness up to an average level. These two are too important offensively to be complete liabilities on that end.
    4. Thompson plays aggressive. Good things happen when he attacks the lane.
    5. Battle can consistently be that microwave scorer off the bench that PJ sometimes was this year.
    6. Golden, Nze, and Hastings are ready to roll against the athletic/perimeter bigs that ate us alive this year.
    7. Kamar trusts his teammates and doesn't put too much pressure on himself.

18. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Member

Money:
    $62
    Only thing I would add you actually touched on it in a point u made but I think battle Hastings can make key contributions for us a first year guys. I’m looking forward to see what they can bring. I agree with what u said. I want to see tucker development more as a threat to drive and make a pass or finish

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $799
    All valid points.

20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    Thank you for the correction. I can’t keep it straight.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.