The Bigger Picture

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by nindiana, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $440
    What does this team need? Remember there is only 1 ball and it needs to be shared. Positionally? I’d like to see a game changing point guard with high basketball IQ and a go to the rim 2/3 and most definitely an on court as well as off court leader i.e.: JC, RN. Someone who will get in their teammates faces when needed.

2. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I really think Thompson could be highly effective playing the way he did as of late and being ball dominate. Gritty defense especially adding a physical present in NZE down low to relieve the pressure from Thompson and Kamar

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Yes I do and I know there are people on here that have made up lies and rumors about him. I’m not going to get into trying to fix people. I also remember some of those same people wanted Barry to hire LJ over Miller who are now trashing LJ.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    #60, godogs91, jeff and 2 others like this.
  4. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $447
    Some quotes from David Woods’ article I thought we telling...

“Tough that we didn’t get the win. But I’m really proud of our team. We fought really hard. I think next year they’re going to have a really good team, if everyone buys in and commits.” -PJ

Tucker did not come off the bench until 7:38 remained in the first half, or later than in previous games. Jordan said that decision was based on match-ups and recent practices.

“I thought when he came in, he had a really good response, defended fairly well and made a couple of big baskets for us,” Jordan said. “That’s the mind-set that we need, everybody to be ready when their number is called. We had that more so tonight than in a lot of games this year.”

Insane Dawg likes this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    I think there is a thread here.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  6. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    They need a scoring grad transfer point guard a la Rotnei Clarke in the worst way. Guessing 2 spots will open up so I would like to see a Kam Woods esque defender/rebounder as well.

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    We don’t need scorers nearly as bad as we need guys that can defend. How many times did we give up at least 45 in a half this year? You can’t win like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    We need defenders, rebounders, scorers, leaders, athletes, passers, dribblers and team players.

bwesson15, Dewars12 and pharmtard09 like this.
  9. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $202
    Defense is on the Coach. Set the tone and demand defense first to stay on the floor. Plenty of slower less talented Butler Teams performed that way.
    Playing 9-10 as we did, it should have been exhaustion putting players on the bench. I will grant that we just can’t match up with the 6’8” athletic forwards in the Big East. Does not appear to me we have that next year either. No matter what, you can’t just quit playing as we did the second half this year. Only exception was Xavier game. Although Marshall was hurt and playing on one leg that night. So I guess that gave us some false hope.
    Yes we need an athletic big, and experienced guards that can score too. We have only 2 guards returning and a freshmen coming in. Defensive mindset above all else.

10. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    I agree that the bulk of our problems were on the defensive end (despite often stagnant offense).

One promising possibility is that Nze and Hastings could both bolster our current defensive weaknesses. Nze had a DBPM of 3.5 in his last playing season. Our bigs next year--Golden and Brunk--had DBPM numbers of -3.0(!) and 0.7, respectively, although Golden's number is probably skewed somewhat by limited playing time. Overall, this would place Nze as our second best defender overall (behind David). Obviously DBPM has some caveats (Thompson was 4th best defender behind David, Baddley, Baldwin) but I think it is reasonable to be hopeful for an improved defensive unit. While it is dangerous to expect much out of a freshman, Hastings does have redshirt 'experience', has excellent physical capabilities, and has been noted for his defense.

11. dawgman

dawgman Member

Money:
    $78
    Every time I watch Vermont play I have the same thought....we probably could have hired John Becker.

willisbrown likes this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Vermont played the way Butler used to play.

13. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Defense and toughness win games!

seadawg likes this.
  14. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $249
    After reading through these threads, I put on my Butler garb and my wife and I went out to lunch.

15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    This is a pretty good point. I still think that we’re more than one piece away on defense though. I do think we’re one piece away on offense though and I’m virtually certain that Tucker at least has the talent to be that piece.

It remains to be seen if he will be it, but our offense is way, way closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    We just need a Ja Morant. Dude is putting on one of the best clinics at “running a team” I have ever seen. Absolutely boatracing Marquette.

estar20dawg and pharmtard09 like this.
  17. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    That ‘just’ is doing a lot of work. Dude just had an efficient triple double with 16 assists and 17 pts on 9 shots.

18. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    By OBPM you mean Oracle Business Process Management? Or is it something else?

ETA: in reading further I think it means Offensive Points something something, but it's convention to write out an acronym first and then start using the acronym. These things can be looked up but the onus should be on the writer to provide the information--not the reader.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    2xDawg and Hinkle Nation like this.
  19. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $412
    Offensive box plus minus - https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm.html

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    There's a lot of things that need work. It is inexcusable a starting D1 PG is afraid to shoot open jump shots. Hopefully Nze will rectify some of the post D deficiencies... we didn't have anybody who scared guys from attacking the rim. Butler was 332nd in blocked shots per game. Pathetic.