The Bigger Picture

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by nindiana, Mar 2, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,247
    While this still stands, I would LOVE if Butler could land a Fletcher Magee. Holy **** this kid can shoot!

He’s just destroying Seton Hall and will be forever known as one of the best 3-pt shooters in NCAA history.

2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,224
    I get the sentiment but you're implying that all we need is to recruit a future top-3 NBA draft pick and the guy who will set the all-time NCAA 3-point record? Got it. :)

PSUButlerFan and 2xDawg like this.
  3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,425
    And both play for mid majors. Why on earth can’t we recruit and develop players like Wofford and Murray State?

4. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,693
    We used to...when we were a mid major. Hell Hayward was probably a similar recruit out of HS to those two guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15 and Insane Dawg like this.
  5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,049
    I mean, we definitely have before. That’s why Butler has been a better program than both of those schools the past 15 years (as a whole).

But if you just look at this year, you are comparing their best year to our worst year.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    tyrin101, jeff and Insane Dawg like this.
  6. Michdog

Michdog Active Member

Money:
    $237
    We knew this was a down year for the Big East, but the NCAA and NIT first week results show it was worse than just being a little down. As well, maybe the Big 10 was a bit better than I gave it credit for

jkcdawgs likes this.
  7. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,064
    This team needs pro guards and wings. It’s the only way to really succeed with the offense LaVall (and Beilen) run. If you don’t have that level of player, isolating a mismatch with a player who can’t take advantage of it is not an advantage. If we are going to be stubborn and not throw wrinkles or adjustments into the overall purpose of the offensive scheme, then our offense will have a (relatively low) ceiling without Trey Burke, Zak Irvin, Caris LaVert, and Derrick Walton like players. If we want to contend for a title, then we need at least 1 big who can consistently take advantage of those mismatches as well (a la McGary or Wagner).

Ladies and gentlemen, we are a far cry from any of these components right now.

8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,587
    Totally agree. I was going to post something similar. I want to see a lot more motion. The offense we run is to showcase NBA talent, of which Butler has none.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,368
    And you wonder why player development is trending to ****. Lavall is so stubborn he won't (or probably can't) evaluate the humans that are actually on his team and you know, like adjust and stuff. This downward spiral will continue until there is a change at the top.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,425
    Murray State was the toughest team we played in the first national championship year. My point is some talk about how we need to spend more on facilities and recruiting. We spend a lot more than Wofford and Murray State on everything including coaches and both those teams have better players and would wipe us off the floor.

DawgFan likes this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,049
    No, I get that. And I completely agree that I wish we played like those teams. They both remind me of past Butler teams (especially Wofford).

But this is also just one year - which happens to be one of our worst years and one of their best years. And most other years, Butler has been a much better team. Even last year, we would have beat both of those teams. Just saying apart from this year, I'd still take Butler's recent history over theirs.

12. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $449
    I watched Ja in person and he's awesome. JUST Ja Morant isn't a thing. He's the best PG in the country. And it's not because he's a scorer like Markus Howard. He manipulates defenses.

That being said, and I made this comment elsewhere, if your point guard doesn't attract defensive attention and can't move the defense you don't have a PG.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $13,425
    I can’t remember the last time I have seen a point guard this good. What you said about what a point guard is suppose to do mirrors what Izzo said. He said you cannot win at a high level without a top point guard. As great a kid AT is and how great a defender he supposedly is he will never be a top point guard until he learns to shoot properly. Opponents just don’t need to worry about him on the offensive end which puts way too much pressure on the offense. Steele even said that in a time out huddle to his team when they played us. I know I’m going to be slammed for saying that about AT but it is what it is. He is not a high level point guard. He could become one but it’s up to him.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  14. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $87
    Where’s Rot when ya need him

15. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $730
    Most of the players did not seem to get any better and the team, as a whole, got worse as the season progressed. Why did that happen? I don't know for sure, but coaching is certainly a possible explanation and that is very worrisome. I think a top tier, dynamic, player can cover up a lot of warts. KM probably accounted for 4-5 extra wins last year because he just put the team on his back and got the win. We didn't have anyone like that this year. If we did, we would have been 21-11 or 20-12 (quite possibly even better because the BE was down this year) instead of 16-16 and the discussion would be a lot different.

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,368
    Martin and Wideman did wonders for this program and very much covered Lavall's ass last year. And even as great as they were, the team still should have been better. No leaders like that this year, and we saw what happened. You're spot on we need a talent that can overcome some of the shortcomings. Can that type of player be landed? Not sure, but that's why I say forget position, get the most dynamic talent you can get, allow talent to take over. There isn't one spot on this team that isn't open for an upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

pharmtard09 and Hinkle Nation like this.
  17. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,277
    Yeah, all we need is the number 2 overall draft pick...

UDDawg, estar20dawg and Michdog like this.
  18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,981
    So when's the Ja Morant film coming out? From rags to riches, the unrecruited story

19. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $9,247
    Would certainly help.

Didn’t realize he was recruited with a big sign that said “Best PG ever” on him.

20. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $9,247
    I was being a bit of a smartass. But... if Wofford and Murray State can land these guys, Butler sure can. Plus we had Rotnei for a year.

Insane Dawg likes this.