The Social Dilemma

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by WestLoopDog, Oct 4, 2020.

1. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,848
    I watched the documentary The Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. I encourage everyone, especially parents, to watch this and consider this information. The message of the documentary is that we (society) are being manipulated by social media. Obviously, this is not new news, but it is edifying HOW it works and WHY it is happening. It doesn't matter whether you believe that social media is good, bad, or somewhere in between, I strongly encourage everyone to watch this documentary. The people who were interviewed and are articulating this concern are men and women who have held senior positions in commercial and technology functions at the big tech companies (e.g., Facebook, Google, Twitter). In case you are wondering, I am not a conspiracy-theorist person, in the least. However, this documentary made me aware of things I didn't fully understand about the social media platforms and it really made me think deeply about the issues. None of the people in the documentary claim that these social media companies (nor the individuals running them) have a nefarious goal that they are driving for, but the technology and the commercial interests are creating huge social implications and driving our behavior. Just one of the many implications of this, is that social media is creating a huge division and polarizing our society. Again, this is not new news, but it is edifying HOW it works and WHY it is happening. My summary is just the tip of the iceberg. Everyone should watch this documentary. After viewing it, you may share the concern or you may just shrug it off (your decision), but you owe it to yourself and your kids to watch it.
    P.S. I am not working on commission for Netflix :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,133
    Have had many people recommend this highly. It’s on my list—thanks for the reminder to make time for it.

3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,992
    I watched it last night, too. Some pretty sobering stuff. As thought-provoking of a documentary as I’ve watched. The part where the main contributor was explaining how ****ed we’ll be as a society if we can’t even agree on what the “truth” is really hit hard.

WestLoopDog likes this.