Tough Decisions Looming?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by UDDawg, Apr 14, 2020.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,135
    University of Cincinnati just discontinued men's soccer. Are decisions like these going to spread across the country as the virus has?

2. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $756
    Yes, a lot of belt tightening is coming to every business in the United States. If your sport is not in the black, you should feel worried.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    End. Butler. Football.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

fdr, NCJon, dawgs2014 and 1 other person like this.
  4. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,465
    I doubt football is that high on the AD's list. Butler doesn't award scholarships for football, so I can't imagine the program costs that much when compared to the rest of the programs in FCS.

5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,728
    Truth. Tbh, based on some other things I’ve heard and read, wouldn’t be surprised to see it be baseball at Butler.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 likes this.
  6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,878
    Hard to have a Homecoming without football and the relationship building and goodwill it creates contributes greatly to university fundraising.

7. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $175
    Disagree. We can accomplish the same thing by having Homecoming for a “midnight madness” type deal with tailgating, events and everything else that comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ButlerProf and 2xDawg like this.
  8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,878
    Just my opinion, but what you’re suggesting wouldn’t have the same impact. And who wants Homecoming in early November when the weather could be quite dicey.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    I just don’t think the tailgating would be the same which is what people show up for anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $175
    No, it’d be Mid-October, the first day of practices. And I definitely think you could pull off an event with the same or better impact. In all my years going to Homecoming, I’ve never watched a second of the game. Tailgated, drank, went home and watched the big games on national TV. The chances of me going to watch a Butler basketball practice event are much higher than me ever going in to a Butler football game. And outside of football parents, I think many others would say the same.

fdr, ButlerProf, MadDawg2020 and 4 others like this.
  11. brian35

brian35 Active Member

Money:
    $51
    Butler will never give up the football program. Studies over that last 15+ years have found that schools that add football programs increase their male student body. Over the last ten years, about 5 new football programs are added each year (most at the D3 or NAIA level). Butler's football roster has exceeded 100 players for a number of years. All of these players pay for the opportunity to play football. Many of these players wouldn't be at Butler except for the chance to play. I'm sure that Butler doesn't make much if any money on the football program. However, throw in the annual buy games (Youngstown State, North Dakota State, etc.) and your bottom line may not be as bad as you think.

dawgsrock likes this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    If we didn’t have the football players, we couldn’t simply admit more applicants? Maybe it’s not that simple, idk, but it seems like a relatively simple solution.

If it’s not hurting us too badly I would support keeping it though for the reasons derailed by BUCheer.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,090
    Been off for a few weeks, so probably this has been discussed somewhere, but without the NCAA tournament happening, we take a multi million dollar hit in revenues - right? Any guess what that dollar amount might be?

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,679
    The Big East has been pulling $8 to $10 million in NCAA Tournament units each year since the new conference was formed. So that's $800,000 to $1 million less in revenue per school just from the tournament. I wonder how much money was lost with the cancelled conference tournament, too. There's probably some insurance money to fill part of the gap, but I doubt it's a big percentage.

Sidd Finch likes this.
  15. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,090
    A million bucks will be noticed.

16. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $458
    Since baseball was literally the only reason I initially attended Butler, I would be very, very bummed if this happened. But it certainly wouldn’t be men’s soccer and outside of football and baseball, none of the other men’s sports probably have a large enough roster/scholarships to make the necessary financial impact...

I can’t remember whether you need 6 or 7 teams per conference to keep an auto-bid status for the NCAA tourney in baseball. If it’s 7, I imagine the BE stepping in. Granted I don’t know what type of authority the conference has over which sport a university axes, but I’d bet they’d fight tooth and nail to keep an entire sport from losing an auto-bid (particularly when football isn’t a sport the conference supports). If it’s 6, then ...

17. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,661

WELP... another mid major sport gone. Bleep cancer. Bleep rona.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,259
    Random thoughts (as usual):

There's documented evidence that the virus can't live as long on surfaces in the heat. I think that's why the Indy 500 coincides with the Governor's plan to fully reopen on July 4. He & Penske know if they lose the revenue, IndyCar would take a massive hit & state tourism would be crushed. They're betting on the calendar & hoping for a brutally hot day... but the TV contracts are still there if it doesn't happen.

Lots of sports junkies like us might buy a subscription streaming service if we couldn't go to events & the NCAA did a better job promoting paid content. This makes me believe it's where fall sports might be headed if they don't have a TV contract. It might also show some sports could be profitable digitally.

I'm watching a lot of the NFL app with Colts games that are 10 years old in Peyton's era. It's fantastic! They've trimmed the between snaps time down so games feel like they have more action. Goodell has it semi-figured out how to keep fans interested in the short term.

Honestly, I don't know how I feel about sitting in Hinkle for a game right now. I certainly wouldn't take my kids.

You can't tell me the pizza companies, Doordash, Grubhub, etc. wouldn't be fist fighting over college football :30 TV ads due to empty stadiums. Their target audience just got significantly bigger because the concessions industry would evaporate.

What a crazy ass time to be alive. Only chicken sh*ts give up right now. The innovators will win.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Insane Dawg and MSUDawg like this.
  19. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,046
    I’m starting to wonder if commits (not just Butler) begin to back out of LOI’s. Especially if ‘20 - ‘21 doesn’t happen.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,476
    It’s going to be absolute chaos if the season doesn’t happen. I don’t think anyone from Butler will leave. There will be a lot of available minutes for freshman to earn in 21-22, and I don’t see anyone who is completely blocked that will leave for an easier path to playing time. But yes, you would see a lot of transfers/decommits around the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app