Tucker has left the building

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Mar 26, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,807
    I don't either. People were slightly starting to hard eye him when he quit on his team and his play went off the shelf to shiite. Kid is a traitor. Was working behind the scenes with IU way before he announced. And I don't recall anyone crying over his departure. I was frankly quite delighted. He got lots of heat for his secret romance with Bloomington and it was well deserved. I honestly can't remember anyone really caring after it sunk in.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,807
    As it stands-Nze, Golden, Thompson, Scooby, Tate, Harris, coles.

David can't stay healthy and won't be ready. Hastings can't stay healthy and has proven not a thing and has a big time hip(s) issue. JMM is a mid major at best. Wilmoth will be redshirted...

7, 4 freshmen.

3. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

My dislike meter (most disliked first)
    1-Brunk
    2-Battle
    3-Tucker

hmm...wonder why? smh. @jkcdawgs #tool

SnoopDawg and BigHoss like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,513
    Willis, I am so surprised in your positive vote of confidence.

5. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    Disagree with JMM being mid major. I thought he looked as good in his few minutes as a freshman as Golden did a year earlier. I think he'll end up being a really good Big East big by his junior year and a useful piece off the bench this year. David is such a sad/frustrating situation. Hopefully, he'll be back in time to play a little first semester and be back fully by second semester (although I'm not holding my breath). If he wanted to redshirt (which I doubt), I would totally support it.

6. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,764
    Never understood the hate. He sat a year and was very highly touted, and everyone here hyped him up. Came in and hit 10 points in his first game and people christened him the missing piece. Last year collapsed in epic fashion (not solely Tucker's fault). This season was better than anyone on this board thought was possible.
    Was Tucker the best player on the roster in either of these seasons? Absolutely not.
    Did he make boneheaded plays? Absolutely.
    Did anyone play this season without making bonehead plays? Absolutely not.
    Was Tucker a vital piece of a team that had one loss in non-con and reach #5 in polls? Absolutely.

Shimmy, BNiche, MadDawg2020 and 5 others like this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,049
    I don’t think most people wanted anything but the best for Tucker, but I do think there were a couple here who did take some sort of pleasure in his struggles and happened to be fairly vocal about it. I do think, however, that he was a better player than we give him credit for.

I think that a significant number of people even were able to change their opinion on him defensively.

Tucker had some weaknesses that were particularly frustrating to some people, and I get that, but I don’t think he was much different in ability than Sean was, Sean just played harder and had better instincts. If someone wanted to argue that Tucker is actually a better in game 3 point shooter, I think they could make a strong case.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $824
    I must have had a deprived childhood cuz I never heard of the "Fox and the Grapes" fairy tale. Not crying wolf on this and hopefully the sky isn't falling.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,977
    Fox and the Grapes great fairy tale! Classic from Aesop's Fables

Apparently they animated it??

dawg767 likes this.
  10. coach roastbeef

coach roastbeef Member

Money:
    $44
    JT is a beast and will end up very successful

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,290
    I hope we find a transfer good enough to make the decision to bring JT back hard. We've seen Tucker's game. Great shooter but very streaky and can't always make his own shot.

seadawg likes this.
  12. MadDawg2020

MadDawg2020 Member VIP Member

Hatred is often jealousy in disguise. For any grown man to hate an 18-22 year old athlete for doing what is best for them/their family, and not the school you root for, is an absolute joke. Especially if you are a Butler grad. It is not The Butler Way.

13. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,384
    I'm not surprised at all that JT would declare for the draft. The way the rules are set up now, there's absolutely no reason for him not to.

BoyGeoff and Insane Dawg like this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,693
    I agree and I never begrudge a player for taking part in that process. They should do it to get the feedback from pro scouts.

I think what separates Tucker, in part, is the seeming finality of his statement. There are a lot of reasons it could have ended up the way it did - and at this point answering that question is pure speculation - but it leaves the impression he's doing more than testing the waters.

tlp63 and seadawg like this.
  15. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,248
    Maybe we haven't been reading the same board but it seems to me that, for the most part, people here have been much harder on Brunk than on Battle.

Shimmy, peeps112, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  16. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,100
    That’s 11.

17. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,248
    You very well could be right, but the speed with which he posted his "clarification" suggested to me that (a) he had second thoughts and decided he should leave himself an out; (b) he got advice from an advisor that there was no need to paint himself into a corner; (c) he was surprised by the amount of negative reaction to the original tweet and wanted to change the narrative, or (d) he discovered that he implied to many people something that he didn't intend--namely, that he was definitely leaving. Having done a fair amount of writing, it's not been unusual for me to discover that what I intended to say and what I actually said didn't always match. I suspect (d) is the best answer, although any or all of the others are plausible.

2xDawg likes this.
  18. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,873
    Think he meant seven total, four of which are freshmen (or freshman if you are dawgy, or whatever he calls himself these days).

ButlerNut likes this.
  19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $282
    I never quite got the dislike for Tucker other than people having inflated expectations of him because of his high school ranking and that he went to Duke. He was very quick to admit when he screwed up in press conferences, on Twitter after games, etc. Off the court, he may have been cockier than people like their Butler players, but he still worked hard and really improved defensively from last year to this year.

Having said that, I also am not going to say that the coaching staff is at fault for him not turning into a star in his season and a half (so far). Despite his improvements, he still at times turns the ball over too much, doesn't finish well at the rim and can still get lost on the defensive end.

Speaking ill towards any young man for a decision that was telegraphed since last year's NBA draft when he tweeted out about himself being involved in it is silly. He and his family will make the decision that they feel is in his best interest, which is what anyone should do no matter what profession they're going into.

I'm also not going to write off any member of the team though going forward. One of the hallmarks of the Butler program is player development, which is why guys like Sean McDermott, Alex Barlow, Shawn Vanzant, Drew Streicher, Willie Veasley can go from seldom used, unknown players who fans think will never play at a high level as underclassmen to guys fans hate to see leave at the end of their careers. I have no idea what the future holds for guys like Mulloy, Hastings and others, but I'm certainly not going to write them off at this point.

bwesson15, Brett, #60 and 20 others like this.
  20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,513
    That covers it in a nutshell Irish. When viewing players, a pragmatic approach is always best. BU's foundation is laid in defense and the little things that make a team. It's neither flashy nor items that make a highlight video. The formula for success has been based in solid fundamentals. Players who make decisions to leave or transfer will always be subject to fan overreaction with limited knowledge of a particular player's true character. It's based on perception.

Brett, bmradio99 and MadDawg2020 like this.