Ty Groce - 2021 Wing Transfer (Verbal)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by WDLTH, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,812
    I would prefer to see Hughes and JMM redshirt before Wilmoth. :)

bumba, bmradio99 and seadawg like this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
    Problem with Wilmoth is...where is he gonna get minutes with this depth? He's skilled and raw but his game isn't yet there to unseat anyone's minutes. We're basically adding 3 forward to this team for 21-22 (Scoob, Coles, Groce), all with better skill sets. Even so, in the end it's usually the player's decision and he won't be red shirted, but he also won't be getting much time if things are mostly healthy.

3. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $479
    I'm excited to add Groce, but I see a lot of people thinking he'll get decent run at the 3. Based on that highlight video I just don't see it. Seems more like a Khyle Marshall-ish 4 man to me. Good for some post ups, high post action where he can make some moves, and lobs/put backs. While he shoots 34% from 3, his shot takes some time and I didn't see great ballhanding. Count me in for 20 min/gm at the 4/5 and maybe a couple in a pinch at the 3, but I don't see much more than that at the 3. Would love to be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. thebulldogs

Money:
    $479
    I mean, looking at the roster, I think Hodges gets 25-28 min/gm at the 3. Then you got Scooby and one of Thomas/Taylor backing up. And although it was moreso out of necessity this year, I still think you will see Lavall go small more often with 3 guards than playing bigger (ie Bolden potentially getting a bit at the 3 too).

All that being said, it will definitely be interesting to see how everything shakes out. Definitely a lot more options with a healthy Scooby, Jakobe, Ty, and the frosh.

willisbrown likes this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,695
    Not to discount anyone's theory, but BU has 4 players who have yet to suit up in a college game. Another who has not played in a Butler uniform, while 2 others have only limited sample of what might be expected. This team has much prove still, by players who are expected to be heavily relied on. If we have learned anything from the past season it would be when unknowns are involved, expect the unexpected.

HoosierDawg likes this.
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
    I think we can expect the unexpected regardless. There are so many ways, even if the injury gods mess with us some, to construct/mix and match versatile players in this lineup. All things being equal this may be the deepest butler team I've seen. Not the most talented and no "stars" but certainly the deepest.

I think it'll be interesting to see how this is handled. Sometimes it's more of a problem than luxury to have this much depth and have players that can effectively play multiple positions. How the staff maneuvers those waters will be very intriguing. I'd surely take the potential and bodies vs whatever that was we saw last year. Which still just boggles my mind.

BNiche, BURph92, cornette33 and 2 others like this.
  7. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $186
    This will definitely be an interesting season - In more ways than one actually. Lavall may not have the star player like he had with Baldwin, but he'll practically have everything else at his disposal:
    • A deep roster
    • Players who can play at multiple positions
    • A diverse mix of young guns and old veterans
    • Multiple players who are either capable of defending well or (hopefully) shooting well
    • Guys who can bang inside, and guys who can switch on the perimeter
    Now, none of these points can tell us whether Butler is talented enough to succeed with this roster makeup, but I think any coach would gladly take their chances with it.

Lavall will have the ability to try out whatever lineup he wants, and this may well be his best opportunity to show what his vision looks like, but this also means now that he'll have no excuse if they falter again. I like LaVall and still believe he'll be a successful coach, but he needs to show us he can succeed with this roster.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  8. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,151
    It does seem like most of us are completely surprised when transfers to Butler are announced. In fact the only recent exception I can think of was Derrik Smits as we knew his final three were Butler, NC St., & Arizona St.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,159
    Off-season workouts/scrimmages and practices during the season should be highly competitive and allow for a lot of development and player evaluation. The staff needs to work on situations a ton (still can't believe we let X just roll the ball up the floor at the end of the half to get the game clock below the shot clock)! We were 5 - 6 during Feb/March without AT for many of those games, a hobbled or missing Hodges, etc. Many of those games offered hideous, mind scarring basketball, but showed this group they can win if they do certain things. Golden and Nze also appeared to get healthier and return more to form during this time, as well. With that said, this team has to get a lot more efficient shooting (everyone!). I think we need to be 45+/37/72+ to be where we want to be.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and 2xDawg like this.
  10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,922
    The more I watch film on him and hear his backstory, the more I think he really is an underrated get. I think he is still getting better. And his skillset will translate quite nicely in the Big East. I'm totally rooting for this kid not just on the court.

Irishdawg and 2xDawg like this.
  11. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,116
    Where were you during Steven’s era? Most of the time it seemed guarding in the backcourt was illegal.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,578
    Delayed publishing this for a little bit due to this morning's news, but just posted my article on Groce following an interview with him. It is free-to-read, as all of my interview-based pieces will be.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/50505671

BNiche, Shimmy, PSUButlerFan and 7 others like this.
  13. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $186
    I like hearing about what he can bring on the offensive end, but I LOVE hearing about what he could bring defensively. I thought Bo Hodges brought this versatility nicely, to think we could have 2 guys bring that is a great luxury to have.

2xDawg likes this.
  14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    Thank you for doing this. Ty seems like an easy kid to root for after watching a few features on him, both from high school and college. I'm hopeful that he's able to provide the versatility he sees in himself on defense, and now hopefully with a full complement of coaches the staff can help him make the most of his talents both on and off the court.

15. thebulldogs

Money:
    $479
    Thanks for the interview, Lukas. Nicely done. Even more excited about this addition after getting some insight from him. Love the commitment to defense and his goals. Just win, baby. Seems like he'll have no problem buying in, and hopefully the younger ones who he will supplant see the big picture and embrace the competition as well.

16. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,451
    He seems easy to root for. For a newcomer to come into a team that returns everyone can be difficult. But his attitude and outlook seem like they will fit right in.

bumba, tyrin101, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,198
    Agree, he looks noticeably more athletic than Golden on film. It would be fun to have an up tempo transition front line like UConn.

znelson15 likes this.