Tyler Nickel - 2022 Wing (North Carolina)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Lukas Harkins, May 20, 2021.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,628
    New offer out to Tyler Nickel, a 6-foot-7 wing in the 2022 class. Virginia Tech, Iowa, NC State, and LSU have received a fair amount of buzz here with North Carolina knocking on the door as well. Top 75 player in the class at this moment. I just texted Tyler a little bit ago, so hopefully will have an interview with him about the offer up this weekend.

5/24 update: Should be hopping on a call with Nickel tomorrow.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  2. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,894
    Would love it, but seems pretty unlikely.

3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,152
    BUcheer and jeff like this.
  4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,742
    cornette33 likes this.
  5. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    Tyler is a fan of the offer. By the way, if for some reason you're on Twitter and not following T-Lew...do it.

6. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    I have not been able to talk to Tyler Nickel yet since the offer, but it does sound as though he is planning on taking a visit to campus this summer. Would be huge to get him on campus and that is feeling likely: "While nothing is locked in, Nickel has plans to do visits in the fall between Virginia Tech, NC State, Iowa, Butler, West Virginia, and UNC as of now."

https://247sports.com/college/butle...-Indiana-Emoni-Bates-Jameel-Brown--165685601/

#60 likes this.
  7. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,150
    With the pieces in place, a guy like Taylor or Nickel and a big with presence would make this a very dangerous and formidable team in the future!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  8. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    I think you'll find Nickel to be far more likely than Taylor at this stage.

9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,742
    Far more likely to sign or making an early impact in the college game?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    Sorry for not clarifying: More likely to actually end up at Butler. The competition for Nickel is tough but him likely taking a visit bodes well for mutual interest. It will be a tough recruitment with lots of strong programs involved, though. Nickel would probably be the biggest recruiting win from this staff so far - I love his game. Both Nickel and Taylor will be early high-impact players in college.

BoyGeoff, #60 and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  11. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    Just got off the phone with Tyler. Will have to transcribe and then write up the piece, but will have an article on the offer to Nickel (including quotes from him) out tomorrow for free.

12. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,050
    Everyone wants to compare Nickel to Gordy and I see those comparisons too, but watching film on him reminds me so much of Kelan.

2xDawg and seadawg like this.
  13. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,764

Tentozen likes this.
  14. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    cornette33, jkcdawgs, 2xDawg and 5 others like this.
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,284
    I just want to say that I appreciate your ethics regarding making interview articles free. It would be easy to monetize the kids and recruits. The fact you don’t earns a lot of respect from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Tentozen, #60, 2xDawg and 1 other person like this.
  16. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $558
    Appreciate your work, Lukas! These interviews have been fantastic.

I think this is where having an assistant like Ragland can pay dividends. Obviously Nickel already has a tough list and if UNC offers I would think it's game over (in addition to more high major offers this summer). But in addition to Lavall's NBA success stories, also having an assistant on staff who has developed less heralded kids into NBA players has to earn some clout with these kids.

cornette33 likes this.
  17. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,628
    I've never understood the logic of putting interview-based pieces behind a paywall, at least not at a small site like mine with <50 subscribers. Players want to read the articles written about them, particularly during recruitments, and part of why they agree to do them in the first place is to get their names out there. Hiding them behind a paywall just seems rude to the player that offered up their time to chat with me. Obviously, fans want to learn more about recruits/players as well but my main reason for keeping them free is out of respect for the players that made time in their schedules to talk to me.

I am glad you guys are enjoying the interviews as well! I think there will be a lot more on the way this summer (not necessarily due to just offers).

ButlerFan89, Tentozen, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  18. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,384
    Bingo. It seems that kids these days love seeing their name in print. I've also noticed that you do a great job of shaping their responses and presenting Butler in the best possible light. For instance, taking Nickel's comments about going pro and then talking about LJ's recent success with Kelan and McD. Stuff like that is a nice, understated touch that might open some eyes when the recruit comes back to read the article.

Always appreciate the work, sir.

Shimmy, Tentozen, DawgsMD and 6 others like this.
  19. thebulldogs

Money:
    $558
  20. thebulldogs

Money:
    $558
    Read that he has OVs scheduled in September to Iowa and VT (from an article in mid-July, so there may be a BU date set already). Grew up a UNC fan and wants to go to the place that will make him the best possible pro prospect.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app