Tyler Nickel - 2022 Wing (North Carolina)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Lukas Harkins, May 20, 2021.

1. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,934
    A real cornucopia of finalists there from five different conferences. The odds might be long against UNC, but it would be great to start winning these battles.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,643
    Hope this kid isn't Andrew Platek 2.0 waiting for the UNC offer just to get overecruited every year.

seadawg likes this.
  3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,725
    Has anyone seen him play? Also, does this have any connection to Tyler Lewis's father? It seems as though that relationship has opened more than one door in the past but I cannot recall the specifics.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,448
    Regardless, signing Nickel could prove to be monumental for BU. Keep your fingers crossed.

5. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $646
    1 of these 5 is not like the others. Deductive reasoning says we are in the Top 3.
    If Butler isn't a serious contender, it wouldn't make sense to keep us on the list, especially since he is not a local kid.
    That being said, his talk of going where they can make him the best pro prospect doesn't bode well.
    Of the schools he has listed, I like that he listed Iowa. He isn't looking just for the flashiest, NBA factory culture.

My guess
    1. UNC
    2. Iowa/Butler

DawgPoundMac and SnoopDawg like this.
  6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,508
    I've watched him play streaming. I love his game a lot. Can play the 2, 3 or 4. Sneaky good athlete. High IQ, makes impact play after impact play. Plays with good control, underrated passer, And defender. Tough shot taker and maker, definitely pro upside.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac, Shimmy, #60 and 2 others like this.
  7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,420
    I like to put myself in the staff's shoes and think about the best recruiting pitches for different players, and this one seems really interesting. Can they thread the needle of cementing the expectation that Butler is a team-first culture while also convincing Nickel that he could be THE guy on campus right away if he comes here? I think only UNC can come close to making him feel like the BMOC because of the local connection, but it's also likely he wouldn't be the most decorated recruit in his class.

EDIT: I misspoke above. He's not local to UNC, he's from Elkton, VA, which is 4 hours away from Chapel Hill.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  8. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,869
    In my opinion, it's going to be tough for him to be a standout on an UNC roster. I think LJ is moving towards a high tempo offense (I sure hope so) and he has a chance to be a star on this team. UNC will keep recruiting over him.

UNC already has 247 sports 25th ranked player committed in his class, 24th has crystal balls, 45th is committed, 95th has crystal balls, etc.

In 2023 they have the 9th ranked player with crystal balls.

I'm not saying this kid couldn't go there and play really well, rankings are rankings, but I'm not sure he'll get the opportunity to be the star. If he comes to Butler he could be Gordy or Kelan, both of which are playing in the NBA.

iluvsnow, TheDawgDub95 and znelson15 like this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,725
    Much like I felt with Justin Taylor, I think he could be a really nice complementary piece to what we would have around him.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,508

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  11. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,725
    For those who said they see some Kelan in his game, I agree. I also see some Sean. I would take that combo!

SnoopDawg likes this.
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,168
    Butler OV set for Aug 27-29. According to the twitterz, a 247 piece and Lukas.

bumba, jkcdawgs, mwall787 and 4 others like this.
  13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,420
    DawgPoundMac and NCJon like this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,207
    Interesting that he's got dates set for all but LSU.

For what it's worth, Virginia Tech football has a home game vs. UNC during his visit, UNC is playing Georgia State and Iowa playing Kent State. LSU is on the road the last weekend in September mentioned as a possible visit, but has a home game against Auburn the first weekend in October. I have no idea how much a big-time football environment might make the campus more appealing, but that clearly favors VT unless he goes to Baton Rouge for the Tiger Bowl.

Frankly, I'm glad Butler is first.

SnoopDawg, znelson15 and seadawg like this.
  15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,168
    He'll see some amazing environments no doubt. Although I despise all that is LSU...Baton Rouge is an amazingly good time and football saturdays/weekends are like nothing else one will ever see. If he's into that kind of thing...it's going to be hard to beat something like that. I haven't been to VT but hear it's incredible as well.

I agree that I'm glad we're first. I don't think he makes it through all 5 no matter what he says and once he gets that bigger school football taste...you never know. Time to make a hell of an impression.

seadawg likes this.
  16. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,279
    I always keep visit dates under wraps unless I am explicitly told I can announce or if they are publicly posted elsewhere. With 247 posting today, I can confirm those are the correct dates set up with Nickel.

17. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,725
    I'm being petty, but you would think 247 could update Butler's status from cool to warm after we made his top 5 and they also just wrote an article about his 5 upcoming OVs...

18. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,279
    You can thank 247 for my Patreon. Can't say I didn't offer to run their Butler page or spend hours on phone calls/texts with their people about it...BU just doesn't generate enough clicks, though...*shrugs*...

(I still love 247 and think they do a very good job at recruiting coverage. I'm just being a tad salty :D)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,924
    Well, if he wants a big-time football environment, he’s not going to find it at VaTech :).

Nor Iowa during their annual early-season MAC team beatdown. He’ll get to see “The Wave”, however, which is really cool.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  20. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $716
    Man this guy is at the top of my wish list. With current roster construction for 2022-2023 season we have following assuming everyone stays that has eligibility left:
    1)Tate, 2)Harris, 3)Taylor, 4)Thomas, 5)Hughes, 6)Wilmoth, 7)Golden, 8)Turnbull, 9)Mulloy.

Think we have the most minutes to fill at the 4/5 with some to give at the 3. If he proves in practice what he can do prior to the start of the season I could see him getting 10-15 minutes at the 3 spot and 15-20 minutes at the 4 spot in small ball lineup.

Even if Golden is doing well usually more traditional bigs in today’s college games get maximum of 28 minutes a game so hopefully Turnbull, Wilmoth or Mulloy can give us 12 minutes at the 5 slot. If not we need to go after a transfer 4/5 willing to play maximum of 20 minutes a night. Wilmoth most likely guy on roster in my eyes that might be able to play 12 minutes a night at the 5 in “22-“23 and hold his own against Big East talent.

Tyler’s path to playing time is pretty easy to see. My guess is we hold one scholarship for the ‘22-‘23 season for experienced transfer any maybe two if we can still carry more than 13 scholarship players.

This year we have 14 scholarship players but 6 are definitely done after this year (exhausted eligibility). Those guys are Thompson, Bolden, Nze, Hodges Groce and only one I’m not sure on is David. This is year 5 but think he did redshirt one year and with Covid free year he may still have one more year of eligibility left after this year.

TheDawgDub95 likes this.